Blue Beetle: End Game by John Rogers

Blue Beetle: End Game

by John Rogers

An alien race known as The Reach has come to destroy Earth and enslave humanity. End game features the Blue Beetle's biggest and most mind-blowing battle yet!

My third Blue Beetle book in as many weeks. The second by the same author. I read the New 52 first volume in between reading Blue Beetle 2008 (whichever label I can put on that version) Volume 3 and 4. This being volume 4.

I wasn't interested in reading the first two volumes in this particular run, mostly due to comments that things finally started being coherent by volume 3. Well, if incoherence and/or lack of focus actually is a problem with earlier volumes, it certainly showed up in this book at least up to the Endgame arc.

I believe it might just be the simple fact that certain things are "required". One of the reasons this volume went into lack of focus mode was the required insertion of a Green Lantern story line, or I should say Yellow Lantern? I'd say Sinestro but I can't recall how to spell the name. A problem if you are writing a DC Comic series: Required to insert many many arcs that "tie-in" other series. Even if they mess up the flow and make no sense. I could have lived without seeing Peacemaker suddenly a yellow ring wearer.

There are more volumes in this particular Blue Beetle series, but no more John Rogers Blue Beetle, so I'll skip the rest of this particular series line. As in the 2008 run. Continue following New 52 version.

An Addition to original review:The last issue collected in this volume is almost totally in Spanish with a tiny amount in English (overlooking the parts in "alien"). Attempting to follow something in a language I do not read does not, oddly enough, make an enjoyable experience. An extra for the collection, though, included the English translation (or was it English originally, and that's the transcript that was made Spanish for the volume?). ( )
  MikeBriggs | Dec 2, 2012 |
Uneven. John Rogers's stories about Jaime taking on The Reach are terrific. The others suffer by comparison. The first story, involving the Sinestro War, while well written is confusing to anyone not following the rest of the DC Universe. The episode where the Beetle confronts The Spectre is lame, and the writing (not by Rogers) uses a sledgehammer to make its points. The final story, written almost entirely in Spanish (with translation provided for us gringos) is cute and gives a little more insight into Jaime's family life, but is otherwise pointless. ( )
1 vote jmeisen | Oct 14, 2008 |
There's a war going on, somewhere else.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,917,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible