Night's Edge: Dancers in the DarkHer…

Night's Edge: Dancers in the DarkHer Best EnemySomeone Else's… (edition 2009)

by Charlaine Harris (Contributor), Maggie Shayne, Barbara Hambly

Member:krau0098
Title:Night's Edge: Dancers in the DarkHer Best EnemySomeone Else's Shadow
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Other authors:Maggie Shayne, Barbara Hambly
Info:HQN Books (2009), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Tags:anthology, paranormal, romance, ghosts, fantasy, sookie stackhouse, vampires, urban fantasy

Night's Edge (Her Best Enemy | Someone Else's Shadow | Dancers in the Dark) by Maggie Shayne (Contributor)

I was dissappointed with Ms. Harris's story, and didn't read more than a couple pages of the 2nd story, but I loved Ms. Hambly's story! The barrier between the main characters made sense, instead of being contrived. The female lead dealt with her own problems, then invited the male lead to her life - she didn't need a man to make her complete. The writing was delicious, and the sexy bit were realistic and quite romantic. I can see myself in this sort of relationship. I kind of have a crush on both the main characters, truth be told :)

Overall, it's a good enough collection of romance stories. If you're not a romance fan, just read the last story, "Someone Else's Shadow" by Barbara Hambly. ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |
This was a collection of three novellas. Each novella has a heavy paranormal theme to it along with some romance. All the stories also feature women who have a history of abuse by men and the stories are somewhat about them overcoming that past.

My favorite of the bunch was “Dancers in the Dark” by Harris. This story actually made me a bit sad because it reminded me what a great writer Harris was before she stopped editing her books (around the True Blood TV series time).

Overall, all of the novellas are decent and I would recommend if you are a paranormal romance fan. I have brief review of each novella below.

Dancers in the Dark by Charlaine Harris (5/5 stars)
Great story about Rue and Sean. Really enjoyed it.

Her Best Enemy by Maggie Shayne (4/5 stars)
This was a good story about a haunted house. The woman who moves in there debunks psychics for a living and needs to request the help of her great enemy, a psychic named Jack, to get the evil ghost out of her house. The story was good and creepy; I didn’t think the chemistry between the two characters was all that great though.

Someone Else’s Shadow by Barbara Hambly (4/5 stars)
In this story a young woman who teaches belly dance is creeped out by the building she works in. When her roommate, a fellow dancer, starts acting strange she begins to suspect that the building is haunted by an evil presence. This was an okay story; it’s a good creepy mystery but the chemistry between the two main characters was just so-so. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 3, 2017 |
Three quick and enjoyable tales from three excellent authors. I have only read Charlaine Harris before. I'm not big on anthologies, too short and not enough world building for my taste. I read this as a book club challenge and I am glad I did. All stories have a slightly dark side and light romance. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
"Dancers in the Dark" - A story set in the world of Sookie Stackhouse, but not featuring any characters from that series. Rue is desperately trying to escape a horrific event from her past, and avoid the person who inflicted it upon her. Needing money, she joins a dance troupe made up of humans and vampires. Her vampire partner, Sean, seems cold and aloof at first, but they dance well together and he becomes enamored with her and tries to figure out her secrets so that he can protect her. This story elucidates more aspects of vampire life and introduces compelling characters. One hopes they will someday interact with Sookie and her friends.
  EmScape | Apr 20, 2015 |
A fun way to spend an hour. Shayne's story is the standard psychic-who-thinks-he's-a-fake-psychic solves a crime and finds out he's really psychic (and hooks up with the skeptical reporter along the way). I think the gruesomeness of the crime was a bit too over the top for this story, so I skimmed the end.

I don't remember previously reading anything from Hambly, and honestly I don't think I'm going to actively look for any. The characterization and interaction were all over the place and her ghostly happening and the action were a bit confusing at the end.

A great installment from Harris. I'd actually love to see a full book set with these characters rather than another Sookie Stackhouse novel. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |

Shayne, MaggieContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hambly, BarbaraContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, CharlaineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For George...and Baby (Someone Else's Shadow)
Rue paused to gather herself before she pushed open the door marked both Blue Moon Entertainment and Black Moon Productions. (Dancers in the Dark)
In the time it took Kiley Brigham to submerge her head, rinse out the shampoo and sit up again, the temperature in the bathroom had plummeted from "steamy sauna" to somewhere around "clutch your arms and shiver." (Her Best Enemy)
"Tessa?" (Someone Else's Shadow)
This anthology contains the following 3 short stories:
Her Best Enemy by Maggie Shayne
Someone Else's Shadow by Barbara Hambly
Dancers in the Dark by Charlaine Harris

Three new stories in one delicious volume of horror and romance
Her Best Enemy by USA TODAY bestselling author Maggie Shayne

Kiley Brigham refuses to believe there's a ghost in her house, but when an unseen hand leaves a bloody message on her bathroom mirror, she's forced to turn to local psychic Jack McCain. As the two work to uncover a long-buried secret, Kiley finds that she's haunted not by spirits, but by thoughts of Jack. . .

Someone Else's Shadow by Nebula Award-nominated author Barbara Hambly

Maddie Laveau worries about her young roommate, Tessa, when she stays late to practice ballet in the old Glendower Building. . .and when Tessa goes missing, Maddie enlists mysterious tenant Phil Anderson to help. But is Phil the white knight she needs, or the predator she fears?

Dancers in the Dark by Anthony Award-winning author Charlaine Harris

Layla Rue Le May is no ordinary dancer-her partner, Sean McClendon, is a three-hundred-year-old redheaded vampire. So when Layla Rue acquires a stalker, she's forced to face the music. . .and wonder if this will finally be her last dance.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373770103, Mass Market Paperback)

Three new stories in one delicious volume of horror and romance

Her Best Enemy by USA TODAY bestselling author Maggie Shayne

Someone Else's Shadow by Nebula Award-nominated author Barbara Hambly

Dancers in the Dark by Anthony Award-winning author Charlaine Harris

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:12 -0400)

Three romantic suspense stories that combine horror and romance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,969,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible