Lover Eternal by J. R. Ward

Lover Eternal

by J. R. Ward

Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood (2)

English (112)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Czech (1)  French (1)  All (116)
Re-read: 4/7/13 ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Lover Eternal
3 Stars
Synopsis:
The fiercest fighter and most voracious lover within the Brotherhood, Rhage fears the harm he may cause when his curse takes over and the beast within him is released. That is until the day he meets Mary Luce, a human woman who has survived numerous hardships and can sooth the beast within Rhage. Soon the two will face their most dangerous foe and find out if their love truly can conquer all.

Review
Similar to book #1, the plot is on the mediocre side and only gets going toward the end. There are numerous "suspend your disbelief" moments and the Lessers are some of the stupidest villains in PNR. They are definitely more a danger to each other than to the brotherhood.

Rhage and Mary are likeable as a couple but not as individuals. Rhage goes from Don Juan/Casanova to lovesick puppy in under 50 seconds with little to no background or character development. The best thing about him is the beast even though the reason for his punishment is ridiculous at best. Mary's illness is saddening but also depressing and her lack of self-worth at the beginning makes her seem pathetic and annoying - first impressions are really very important and she does not make a good one even though she improves later.

One of the worst things about this series is the submissive and servile manner in which women are portrayed. The Chosen, for example, seem to exist solely for the purpose of "serving" the brotherhood and Layla's subservient behavior is very off putting (it reminds me of Marissa's attitude toward Wrath in book #1).

Nevertheless, there are a few appealing aspects such as the scenes with Rhage's beast, which are some of the best written in the book. In fact, the prose in general is an improvement (less street slang) but the dialogue is still childish and the writing style needs work.

Additional highlights include the compelling relationship between Bella and Zsadist and the subplot involving John Matthew's introduction to the vampire world. Both of these have me wanting to continue if only to find out what happens next - kind of like a bad soap opera. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Ebook. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Wow! There's just nothing more to say! ( )
  TiffanyCutshall | Dec 28, 2017 |
Wow! This book was probably one of the best I have read in a while. I has EVERYTHING I look for in a book. It made me smile, laugh and cry. It is not very often when a book can make me cry, but this one did. More than once too. I literally had such a hard time putting this book down. I had to know what was going to happen next. I love the way it is not just from one characters point of view. I'm starting the next one right now! ( )
  ShanMonstar | Nov 19, 2017 |

Ward, J. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahonen, MarkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frangione, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murphy, LaurenceTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pianalto, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to: You / In the beginning, we didn't hit it off, did we? / But then I realized the truth about you and I fell in love. / Thank you for letting me see through your eyes and / walk awhile in your boots. / You are just so... beautiful.
"Ah, hell, V, you're killing me." Butch O'Neal mined through his sock drawer, looking for black silk, finding white cotton.
He reached around for the soap, fumbling. "Can't see."

"Just as well. No reason for you to know what we look like naked together. Frankly, I'm traumatized enough for the both of us."

(pp. 46-47, chapter 6)
"The female threw me out of her house early this morning after doing a job on my ego."

"What kind of hatchet did she use?"

"An unflattering comparison between me and a free-agent canine."

(p.118, chapter 16)
"Shit, you've bonded with her." Wrath put a hand through his long hair. "For God's sake . . . You just met her, my brother."

"And how long did it take you to mark Beth as your own? Twenty-four hours? Oh, right, you waited two days. Yeah, good thing you gave it some time."

(p.200, chapter 23)
"What's another night? You could spend more time in the tub. You told me how much you like that."

She smiled a little. "You are a manipulator."

"I like to think of myself more as an outcome engineer."

(p. 246, chapter 29)
"We're going to need a shitload of steel," the human muttered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451218043, Mass Market Paperback)

Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetites. He’s the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover—for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Possessed by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him.

Mary Luce, a survivor of many hardships, is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world and reliant on Rhage’s protection. With a life-threatening curse of her own, Mary is not looking for love. Her faith in miracles was lost years ago. But when Rhage’s intense animal attraction turns into something more emotional, he knows that he must make Mary his alone. And while their enemies close in, Mary fights desperately to gain life eternal with the one she loves…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

Fierce warrior and legendary lover, Rhage, a vampire cursed by the Scribe Virgin and owned by the dark side, finds salvation in Mary Luce, the innocent young beauty he has sworn to protect, and together they battle against their enemies and fight for eternal love.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,315,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible