Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood,…

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 2) (edition 2006)

by J.R. Ward

Member:Corvidae
Title:Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 2)
Authors:J.R. Ward
Info:Signet (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, series, fantasy, urban fantasy, vampires, paranormal romance

Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward

English (88)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (91)
I found this on the bus and decided to read it. I have mixed feelings about J.R. Ward. I appreciate every scene with the main protagonists. I feel her scenes with the "lessers", or antagonists, are superfluous. I only care about the couple. I don't care about the other parts. Shallow? I don't care. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
After reading Dark Lover and not enjoying it all that much, I found myself continuing the series anyway. Why? Because I want to read Zsadist's story, dammit, and I know that his is the third in the series. This book only intensified my desire to read his book.

But this book isn't about Zsadist and Bella; sure, they make some appearances, particularly toward the end, but the main characters are Rhage and Mary. Okay, I can accept that.

I still can't get over the names, but I guess I am getting used to them a little. At least, I didn't feel the urge to roll my eyes every time one of them was mentioned on the page. Although I'm still curious about the lessers and their naming conventions. Okay, so they become Mr. [first letter of their last name] once they become a lesser. Does that mean that there are only twenty-six of them at any given time? What happens if there are more? Is it Mr. O2? (Sorry, slight chemistry joke.) And I'm sure they have to search hard to fill out some of those letters - how many last names start with Z and X, for example?

I think my problem is that I think too much about this series. It's supposed to be cotton candy; it was never meant to be a filling meal.

Rhage...meh. Mary...also meh. Their relationship is all kinds of messed up, but they seem happy about it, so I can't really judge. Whatever floats their boats, I guess.

I hate how women are portrayed in this series. Mary is so concerned about her average looks that it takes chapters upon chapters for her to even realize that Rhage might be interested in her at all.

And damn, is there a lot of rape in this world. John Matthew was sexually assaulted, which is why he started calling the suicide prevention line and "met" Beth in the first place. Although the author doesn't come right out and say it, I'm pretty sure the Omega raped Mr. O when he was being "disciplined," too. The first thing Mr. O wants after the Omega is finished with him is a hot shower with plenty of soap, and he mentions that he feels like he'll never be clean again - all very typical for a victim of sexual assault. Later in the book, Mr. O also mentions how the Omega was on top of him. No one will ever be able to convince me that the Omega isn't a rapist now.

And that kind of ties in with Rhage and Mary. Upon first meeting Mary, Rhage throws her up against a wall and starts groping her. A lot. Am I supposed to find that sexy? Because I don't. And the first time that Rhage and Mary have sex...what the hell? Rhage seeks out another woman to get his rocks off and to keep the beast at bay, and when he comes back to Mary (who is living with him at that point), she's so pissed off that she pretty much has her way with him? Ick. Talk about serious relationship dysfunction.

The thing I did like about Rhage and Mary's relationship is that Rhage falls first, and hard. It takes a while for Mary to fall in love with him. Hey, you don't see that very often.

Also, does anyone think that John Matthew is Darius reincarnated? I'll be shocked if that isn't what he ends up being.

I'll keep reading, at least through Zsadist's book. After that, I'm not sure it's going to be worth the effort. ( )
  schatzi | Jul 12, 2014 |
Typical JR ward book. All of them are pretty interchangeable. That's not to say I don't enjoy reading them. I don't like the use of the serviced but it is common theme in many of the books, so push through them. Also, the word true is over used. ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |
Because I had battled cancer for a year I could uber relate to the heroine, Mary. I loved loved this story. ( )
  Eden_Glenn | Dec 13, 2013 |
This book had me all over the map emotionally and kept me on the edge of my seat. I fell in love with so many of the characters too. I can't wait to see what else is in store for them. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 7, 2013 |

J.R. Wardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahonen, Marke(KÄÄnt.)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frangione, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murphy, LaurenceTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to: You / In the beginning, we didn't hit it off, did we? / But then I realized the truth about you and I fell in love. / Thank you for letting me see through your eyes and / walk awhile in your boots. / You are just so... beautiful.
"Ah, hell, V, you're killing me." Butch O'Neal mined through his sock drawer, looking for black silk, finding white cotton.
He reached around for the soap, fumbling. "Can't see."

"Just as well. No reason for you to know what we look like naked together. Frankly, I'm traumatized enough for the both of us."

(pp. 46-47, chapter 6)
"The female threw me out of her house early this morning after doing a job on my ego."

"What kind of hatchet did she use?"

"An unflattering comparison between me and a free-agent canine."

(p.118, chapter 16)
"Shit, you've bonded with her." Wrath put a hand through his long hair. "For God's sake . . . You just met her, my brother."

"And how long did it take you to mark Beth as your own? Twenty-four hours? Oh, right, you waited two days. Yeah, good thing you gave it some time."

(p.200, chapter 23)
"What's another night? You could spend more time in the tub. You told me how much you like that."

She smiled a little. "You are a manipulator."

"I like to think of myself more as an outcome engineer."

(p. 246, chapter 29)
"We're going to need a shitload of steel," the human muttered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451218043, Mass Market Paperback)

Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetites. He’s the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover—for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Possessed by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him.

Mary Luce, a survivor of many hardships, is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world and reliant on Rhage’s protection. With a life-threatening curse of her own, Mary is not looking for love. Her faith in miracles was lost years ago. But when Rhage’s intense animal attraction turns into something more emotional, he knows that he must make Mary his alone. And while their enemies close in, Mary fights desperately to gain life eternal with the one she loves…

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:44 -0400)

Fierce warrior and legendary lover, Rhage, a vampire cursed by the Scribe Virgin and owned by the dark side, finds salvation in Mary Luce, the innocent young beauty he has sworn to protect, and together they battle against their enemies and fight for eternal love.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible