Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood,…

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 2) (edition 2006)

by J.R. Ward

2,611952,294 (4.24)67
Member:Corvidae
Title:Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 2)
Authors:J.R. Ward
Info:Signet (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, series, fantasy, urban fantasy, vampires, paranormal romance

Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward

Recently added byItsKelly, Book_Minx, lisseut, private library, Tanya-D, exlibrisjean, shay69

English (92)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (95)
After killing a deity's bird, Rhage was cursed to share his body with a dragon. Keeping the dragon under control is something Rhage has to deal with on a daily basis and it often consists of having to do things he'd otherwise never do. When Rhage meets Mary, he is instantly attracted to her but the curse puts a huge obstacle in their courtship.

I really adored Rhage. However, the reason why this is getting a mid-level rating is that I can't reconcile Rhage's choice to go out and sleep with a shit ton of women while he had Mary waiting for him at home. This stemmed from Rhage needing to regain control of the dragon, so it was painted in a way that he had to go screw other women. While I will give Ward kudos for not taking an easy route, it still put a really sour taste in my mouth. I can't stand cheating heroes and I wasn't convinced that Rhage had exhausted all other possibilities, which really pissed me off. I also felt that Mary got over it way to quick. I mean he comes home from having sex with who knows how many women and she almost immediately gets over it upon seeing his sad face....really? I think she should've been a little more conflicted about that whole situation. Other than that, I generally enjoyed Lover Eternal. My only other wish is that Mary had been given more personality since she came off as a very flat character, but I'm beginning to think that's typical of Ward's heroines. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Just as a quick side note: I just got some extra cash so I went on a book crazy buying spree, so I have a TON of stuff coming your way, not to mention what I already have on my shelf I have no read yet. So...be ready.

Anyway, This book is a the classic tale of beauty and the beast, with a bit of a twist, the beast is a vampire cursed by lexicon's deity, and the beauty is a relapsed cancer survivor. Perfect right? Nope.

I love this book...it is one of my all time favorites, Ward writes with such conviction for each of these characters, they seem without a doubt real. Rhage and Mary are absolutely perfect together, nothing like the ladies man being brought down by the women who is no where near his type. There is also a very heavy plot line here that continues from the first book "Dark Lover", and it is excellent. We see a new character introduced here, who is one of my favorites as the series progresses. Don't miss this one, its excellent. I liked this book a lot, but it is not my favorite of the series, if you can believe it. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

Oh man I am loving this series!! Rhage is such a wonderfully written character! He has way more depth that shown in the first book. He appears to be a player and a heartbreaker just looking for a piece of a$$. But is all has to do with his cures and urges it brings about. And really her feels empty until he finds his mate.

Mary broke my heart a little. She over came illness only to have it rear it's ugly head again! Oh and she and Rhage are perfect together!! The blend of opposites creates a fantastic dynamic.

I will say in general I do not like the Scribe Virgin. Am I the only one who finds her overly stern and a tad vindictive? In the series she is the only thing I do not enjoy. I wish she were a little more mother earth!

Great story and I can not wait to see where it is heading. It really keeps you on your toes. THere are a few moments when the box of tissues will be needed!

Zadist is the next book and i am so ready!! I love him and he is my current book lust...um I mean crush! So very bad boy! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
A marked improvement over the first book. Since it worked last time . . .

Things I liked
- The bond between the men is cool, the best espirit de corps I've ever read. It's nice that a "romance" book can demonstrate different types of love.
- Rhage's "curse" is very cool, particularly how it responds to Mary

Things I didn't care for
- Is it just me, or is Mary, our new heroine, so much like Beth that it feels kind of lame? I know there are tropes to be respected, but come on. Beth illness does not equal a new, interesting character.
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
I found this on the bus and decided to read it. I have mixed feelings about J.R. Ward. I appreciate every scene with the main protagonists. I feel her scenes with the "lessers", or antagonists, are superfluous. I only care about the couple. I don't care about the other parts. Shallow? I don't care. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |

J.R. Wardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahonen, Marke(KÄÄnt.)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frangione, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murphy, LaurenceTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pianalto, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to: You / In the beginning, we didn't hit it off, did we? / But then I realized the truth about you and I fell in love. / Thank you for letting me see through your eyes and / walk awhile in your boots. / You are just so... beautiful.
"Ah, hell, V, you're killing me." Butch O'Neal mined through his sock drawer, looking for black silk, finding white cotton.
He reached around for the soap, fumbling. "Can't see."

"Just as well. No reason for you to know what we look like naked together. Frankly, I'm traumatized enough for the both of us."

(pp. 46-47, chapter 6)
"The female threw me out of her house early this morning after doing a job on my ego."

"What kind of hatchet did she use?"

"An unflattering comparison between me and a free-agent canine."

(p.118, chapter 16)
"Shit, you've bonded with her." Wrath put a hand through his long hair. "For God's sake . . . You just met her, my brother."

"And how long did it take you to mark Beth as your own? Twenty-four hours? Oh, right, you waited two days. Yeah, good thing you gave it some time."

(p.200, chapter 23)
"What's another night? You could spend more time in the tub. You told me how much you like that."

She smiled a little. "You are a manipulator."

"I like to think of myself more as an outcome engineer."

(p. 246, chapter 29)
"We're going to need a shitload of steel," the human muttered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451218043, Mass Market Paperback)

Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetites. He’s the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover—for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Possessed by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him.

Mary Luce, a survivor of many hardships, is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world and reliant on Rhage’s protection. With a life-threatening curse of her own, Mary is not looking for love. Her faith in miracles was lost years ago. But when Rhage’s intense animal attraction turns into something more emotional, he knows that he must make Mary his alone. And while their enemies close in, Mary fights desperately to gain life eternal with the one she loves…

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:44 -0400)

Fierce warrior and legendary lover, Rhage, a vampire cursed by the Scribe Virgin and owned by the dark side, finds salvation in Mary Luce, the innocent young beauty he has sworn to protect, and together they battle against their enemies and fight for eternal love.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,074,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible