Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood,…

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 2) (edition 2006)

by J.R. Ward

Member:Corvidae
Title:Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 2)
Authors:J.R. Ward
Info:Signet (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, series, fantasy, urban fantasy, vampires, paranormal romance

Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward

English (85)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (88)
Because I had battled cancer for a year I could uber relate to the heroine, Mary. I loved loved this story. ( )
  Eden_Glenn | Dec 13, 2013 |
This book had me all over the map emotionally and kept me on the edge of my seat. I fell in love with so many of the characters too. I can't wait to see what else is in store for them. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 7, 2013 |
TBR
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |
★★★★★Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward

Love Rhage & Mary. I keep coming back to the BDB series, and love it every time. Rhage is among my top fav brothers, love the beast.
This one starts with us meeting Mary. Mary is your average plan Jane. Nothing special, in her eyes. However, Mary had leukemia, that has gone into remission.
She works at the Suicide Prevention Center. She starts receiving calls, where nothing is spoken, just breathing. She wants to find out more, because, she feels at least she can try to help someone else. Her boss does not like this, and feels she is to attached. She sends her home, to get distance from the callers, and some much needed rest.
Then come John Matthew, the mute, that has been calling. He shows up at her house. And they speak through ALS. He is a scrawny boy, in his late teens to early twenties. He is alone, in the world, born in a bus station, bathroom, and abandoned. He has had an incredibly rough life, including being rape, by a male, on a stair well.
While talking, the neighbor, Bella, who happens to be a vampire, shows up. She sees the bracelet JM is wearing and wants to know where it came from. He says he dreamt it, so made it. Bella knows exactly what it says, but does not say anything.
She calls a number she had heard one time, that would get you in touch with the Black Dagger Brotherhood. She gets a generic voicemail, and leaves a cryptic message, in cause it is the wrong number. When they call back, and learn the kid has a bracelet with the name Terrhor, in the Old Language, they want him brought in.
Bella says she's found JM some martial arts trainers for him to meet, so he can handle his own, and he agrees to go. So Bella, JM, and Mary, to translate, set off, for the rumored BDB mansion. We find out that he is the brother of the Queen Beth.
While there, Rhage is stumbling around the halls, after the Beast has come out, and hears Mary speaking, and has got to have her. Her voice calms the Beast.
The 3 leave the training center, after Mary's mind has been wipe clean, but Rhage finds her, and eventual they fall in love. It is a long hard road, with her trying to figure out why some one like that would fall in love with her, her leukemia coming back, and the Beast showing his face.
Rhage decides to put Mary before the Brothers, so a Rythe, is preformed against him.
Mary dies, Rhage volunteers to keep the Beast forever, if the SV, lets her come back. Once she realizes that she has suffered enough by not being able to have children, she bring her back.
I loved this book and would highly recommend it.
  Chantelle713 | Sep 25, 2013 |
This one was so much better than the first. Okay, so, Mary started off really cool - she wasn't some ideal, she spoke her mind, she had questions, she showed strength. However, it got a little too perfect in it's own way towards the end. And sweet Jesus can she puhleaseeeee shut up during sex? Rhage's storyline was kind of laughable at parts: "the beast wants her too!!!" "Mary...Mary...climb on me while I'm tied down to handle my beast." Oh, Dear.

The infamous Layla. I actually liked her in this book. She intrigued me. Her role kind of sucks (no pun intended) so I felt sorry for her. I wanted to know more about her.

The John Matthews storyline was interesting. He's very likable.

Bella & Z were the best part of this book.

Thor, Phury, & Wrath (Thank God) were mostly in the background so not much to say on them.

The lesser storyline continues to be a total bore.

There are plot points and ideas surrounding women that continue to make me grit my teeth.

On to the next! ( )
  Peepers82 | Sep 22, 2013 |

J.R. Wardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frangione, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to: You / In the beginning, we didn't hit it off, did we? / But then I realized the truth about you and I fell in love. / Thank you for letting me see through your eyes and / walk awhile in your boots. / You are just so... beautiful.
"Ah, hell, V, you're killing me." Butch O'Neal mined through his sock drawer, looking for black silk, finding white cotton.
He reached around for the soap, fumbling. "Can't see."

"Just as well. No reason for you to know what we look like naked together. Frankly, I'm traumatized enough for the both of us."

(pp. 46-47, chapter 6)
"The female threw me out of her house early this morning after doing a job on my ego."

"What kind of hatchet did she use?"

"An unflattering comparison between me and a free-agent canine."

(p.118, chapter 16)
"Shit, you've bonded with her." Wrath put a hand through his long hair. "For God's sake . . . You just met her, my brother."

"And how long did it take you to mark Beth as your own? Twenty-four hours? Oh, right, you waited two days. Yeah, good thing you gave it some time."

(p.200, chapter 23)
"What's another night? You could spend more time in the tub. You told me how much you like that."

She smiled a little. "You are a manipulator."

"I like to think of myself more as an outcome engineer."

(p. 246, chapter 29)
"We're going to need a shitload of steel," the human muttered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451218043, Mass Market Paperback)

Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetites. He’s the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover—for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Possessed by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him.

Mary Luce, a survivor of many hardships, is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world and reliant on Rhage’s protection. With a life-threatening curse of her own, Mary is not looking for love. Her faith in miracles was lost years ago. But when Rhage’s intense animal attraction turns into something more emotional, he knows that he must make Mary his alone. And while their enemies close in, Mary fights desperately to gain life eternal with the one she loves…

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:44 -0400)

Fierce warrior and legendary lover, Rhage, a vampire cursed by the Scribe Virgin and owned by the dark side, finds salvation in Mary Luce, the innocent young beauty he has sworn to protect, and together they battle against their enemies and fight for eternal love.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,598,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible