Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood,…

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 2) (edition 2006)

by J.R. Ward

Member:glaadis
Title:Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 2)
Authors:J.R. Ward
Info:Signet (2006), Kindle Edition, 465 pages

Lover Eternal by J. R. Ward

Recently added bykatt42, Chibi-yay, Davidjackjack, liannecollins, private library, loecadia, bm2ng, BreyWhipple

English (118)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Czech (1)  French (1)  All languages (122)

4/5 stars

I'm glad I got the omnibus for books 1-4 or I probably wouldn't have read this book. I really liked the story of Rhage and Mary Luce. I thought they were very sweet together and I enjoyed reading about them. I also liked the story of all the secundary characters and I liked that Mary wasn't a push over. Rhage made for a great hero and I really liked him. His story with 'the beast' was interesting.

There are once again many POV's, but I found that less annoying then I did before. You find out how Wrath and Beth are doing and the story with the lessers continues. I found this book to be a lot more suspenseful and I really wanted to know what would happen at the end of the book. But Rhage and Mary have their own HEA.

I did find the ending to be very rushed. It made the whole ending seem a little ridiculous, because it just happened within about 4 pages all of a sudden.

Great book and I'm glad I continued with this series.

CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
Good story

I like the tie-in between the title and ending. I didn't mean to, but I read this in one sitting. ( )
  Sonja-Fay-Little | Jan 24, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book. I felt it was definitely a big lead up into how things will be going for the next few books. I liked how much of a build up this book was along with how much of the brother's personalities we got to see.

Plot wise this book was riveting. Mary Luce meets Rhage or Hollywood and he falls in love with her. She's the usual self depreciating thinks she is nothing special female who can't believe Rhage actually likes her. We follow their journey of falling in love with each other and taming of Rhage.

We also get introduced into the main female in the next book Bella.

Overall its a fun read. I enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait to see where the next book goes. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
Book 2 in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, and it just keeps getting better! I absolutely adore J. R Ward's writing style, her storytelling is so vivid and so easy to make you (the reader) feel as if your really in this world. I can't wait to continue reading this amazing series! ( )
  Brandie_States | Nov 2, 2018 |
She looked so right in his big bed, nestled in the mountain of pillows he insisted on sleeping with. He wanted her there tomorrow and the day after and...
Lover Eternal continues the adventures of the Black Dagger Brotherhood as they fight against their enemies the lessers. In this second installment, more characters are introduced and the world of vampires is expanded upon. Usually this would make me overwhelmed, but J.R. Ward makes each character interesting in their own right that I want to read more about them.

The main romantic pairing is of Rhage and a human girl called Mary with cancer. Like Wrath and Beth, the attraction between them is instant. Even though there is insta-lust, J.R. Ward takes time to build on their relationship which I enjoyed up to a point. There was a lot of back and forth between Rhage and Mary with their inner conflicts making them reluctant to pursue a real relationship.

Now I don't mind this, but it happened a lot. Sometimes too instant and out of the blue, then they were back together without ever moving past their inner conflict. The reasonings for backing out and causing conflict felt forced. What they said and did contradicted each other and got me confused on what they wanted. A lot of it was the fact they weren't honest to each other for a long time. It made for a tiring read and I was a bit disappointed since I really liked this couple. However, this didn't stop me from enjoying reading the chemistry between Rhage and Mary because it was there. And it was hot.

The plot like the first one was convoluted. There were multiple plots going on at once besides the main romance. This was expected. I didn't enjoy the antagonists' POV as much as I did in Dark Lover, but I did like how the author expanded on their world. Did it make me sympathize with them, no.

We are introduced to some new characters, one being Bella who is the next heroine in the third book. I cannot express how excited I am to read about her and Z!
  leighannewrites | Oct 27, 2018 |

Ward, J. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahonen, MarkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frangione, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murphy, LaurenceTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pianalto, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to: You / In the beginning, we didn't hit it off, did we? / But then I realized the truth about you and I fell in love. / Thank you for letting me see through your eyes and / walk awhile in your boots. / You are just so... beautiful.
"Ah, hell, V, you're killing me." Butch O'Neal mined through his sock drawer, looking for black silk, finding white cotton.
He reached around for the soap, fumbling. "Can't see."

"Just as well. No reason for you to know what we look like naked together. Frankly, I'm traumatized enough for the both of us."

(pp. 46-47, chapter 6)
"The female threw me out of her house early this morning after doing a job on my ego."

"What kind of hatchet did she use?"

"An unflattering comparison between me and a free-agent canine."

(p.118, chapter 16)
"Shit, you've bonded with her." Wrath put a hand through his long hair. "For God's sake . . . You just met her, my brother."

"And how long did it take you to mark Beth as your own? Twenty-four hours? Oh, right, you waited two days. Yeah, good thing you gave it some time."

(p.200, chapter 23)
"What's another night? You could spend more time in the tub. You told me how much you like that."

She smiled a little. "You are a manipulator."

"I like to think of myself more as an outcome engineer."

(p. 246, chapter 29)
"We're going to need a shitload of steel," the human muttered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451218043, Mass Market Paperback)

Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetites. He’s the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover—for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Possessed by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him.

Mary Luce, a survivor of many hardships, is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world and reliant on Rhage’s protection. With a life-threatening curse of her own, Mary is not looking for love. Her faith in miracles was lost years ago. But when Rhage’s intense animal attraction turns into something more emotional, he knows that he must make Mary his alone. And while their enemies close in, Mary fights desperately to gain life eternal with the one she loves…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

Fierce warrior and legendary lover, Rhage, a vampire cursed by the Scribe Virgin and owned by the dark side, finds salvation in Mary Luce, the innocent young beauty he has sworn to protect, and together they battle against their enemies and fight for eternal love.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible