Spirited: A Retelling of Beauty and the…

Spirited: A Retelling of "Beauty and the Beast"

by Nancy Holder

Series: Once Upon a Time

I love this book. I read it as a little girl and have continued to read it as an adult. A whimsical, dark take on Beauty and the Beast, there is action and magic on every page. Very few books tackle the French and Indian War in this way. Truly enjoyable for all ages. ( )
  knivae | Feb 17, 2017 |
A unique take on Beauty and the Beast set during the French and Indian war. I loved how that story brought a classis tale and combined it with an understanding of one tribe of the Native Americans of the time. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairytale and this held its own as a historical version. I enjoyed the story but the writing made the story drag a bit and i never felt any of the romance that was supposed to have bloomed between Isabella and Wusamequin. ( )
  MeganB66 | Apr 6, 2011 |
I am a huge fan of the "Once Upon A Time" series of fairy tale retellings. But "Spirited" has to be one of the worst books I've tried to muddle through.

It's a sloppy, wandering attempt at retelling "Beauty and the Beast" with a pretty English girl and a Native American man set around the time of the French and Indian Wars.

The story fumbles with characterization, and telegraphs every move. And towards the end of the book, everything gets very mystical and silly and you can't help but hope every page is the last.

Other reviewers have said it better than I, but I echo it nonetheless: Skip this one. ( )
1 vote CornerDemon | Mar 8, 2008 |
I usually love the Once Upon a Time series, but as an anthropologist I found this story kind of offensive and could barely finish reading it. ( )
2 vote Nikkles | Jan 26, 2008 |

Nancy Holderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Craft, Mahlon F.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

War. Rage. Magic. Love.

In May 1756 war is formally declared between the British and the French. During this highly dangerous time, Isabella Sevens is travelling with her father to the British stronghold Fort William Henry.

In the forest, Wusamequin, the young and handsome medicine man, looks to avenge the death of his wife and child at the hands of British soldiers. When Wusamequin spots Isabella and her father, he alerts his warriors to capture them. But Wusamequin is quite taken with how bravely Isabella battles. He orders the warriors to spare her and her tfather, and they are dragged back to their village. However, many members of the Mohican tribe still want them to be killed. In a desperate plea to Wusamequin, Isabella vows to stay as his hostage if he lets her father go.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:23 -0400)

In May of 1756 war was formally declared between the British and the French. During this highly dangerous time Isabella Stevens is traveling with her father to the British stronghold Fort William Henry. In the forest, Wasamequin, the young and handsome medicine man, looks to avenge the death of his wife and child at the hands of British soldiers. When Wasamequin spots Isabella and her father, he alerts his warriors to capture them. But Wasamequin is quite taken with how bravely Isabella battles. He orders the warriors to spare her and her father, and they are dragged back to their village. However, many members of the Mohican tribe still want them to be killed. In a desperate plea to Wasamequin, Isabella vows to stay as his hostage if he lets her father go.… (more)

Nancy Holder is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,633,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible