The Adamantine Palace by Stephen Deas

The Adamantine Palace (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Stephen Deas

241None47,538 (3.44)19
Member:kjforrest
Title:The Adamantine Palace
Authors:Stephen Deas
Info:Gollancz (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle, Read in 2012, Book Group
Tags:fiction, fantasy, book club

The Adamantine Palace by Stephen Deas (2009)

2010 (2) 2011 (3) 2012 (1) a memory of flames (2) Book 1 (2) dragon (3) dragons (21) ebook (5) epic fantasy (4) fantasy (66) fb (1) fiction (21) gollancz (1) hardcover (2) high fantasy (2) intrigue (4) library (3) limited (1) limited edition (2) memory of flames (5) novel (3) read (4) series (5) signed (4) to-read (14) UK (3) unread (7) VA (1) Whatever (1) wishlist (2)

I personally didn't really like the book and I gave up on it half way through. This doesn't mean it was a really bad book. It wasn't, but it wasn't interesting either.

The main theme of the book is scheming nobles. This is really boring to me. It has been done so many time and I am tired of it. None of the characters are really interesting/likable enough to make it worth it to sit through this. ( )
  lente | Sep 6, 2013 |
A quick, enjoyable enough read, but the thin characterisations (not helped by the author's habit of killing off characters and shifting to viewpoints of less-established characters) and the simplistic nature of the political intrigues weren't terribly impressive. ( )
  salimbol | Dec 22, 2012 |
I could see where he was going with the story. What if Dragons had been the top of the chain, then humans discovered a way of pacifing them and one got free and managed to get their mind back. What if these dragons were like phoenixes, reincarnating over and over and remember the years of servitude and humiliation. What if she decided to get revenge? This is that book, with a side order of human politics and politicking. The rulers of this world are a bunch of very backstabbing, nasty folk, interested in themselves and their power and not very concerned with much else.

It's not really my kind of book, I didn't really care what happened to the characters and really at the end was still a bit ambivalent about actually continuing the series (when I discovered that the Library didn't have book 2 I wasn't very concerned, if I happen on it later I might read it)

Overall, interesting concept, could have been a bit better. Has potential. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 1, 2011 |
The first book of the Memory Of Flame series, set in a fantasy world where the land is divided under the Dragon Kings and Queens and ruled overall by the Speaker Of The Realms. The book follows several storylines that weave in and out of one another, some twined tightly while others only touch each other distantly. The two main lines follow the escape of the white dragon, Snow, while the other follows the sly political manoeuvrings of Prince Jehal. These two plots never overlap, but they influence each other from afar.

As Deas’ début novel suffers several flaws, the greatest of which being the lack of character development shown in anything that isn’t a dragon. Those who were grasping for power at the start of the book are grasping for it at the end. Those that were weak puppets remain so. I hope it is something that Deas can improve upon, as it is a shame.

I can’t say that I enjoyed this book – something in the mix between the type of characters, the high mortality rate and the style of the dragons just didn’t do it for me. As a story, it was refreshing, however. The short chapters kept me from becoming bored of one character’s POV, and there was always something happening or being planned. I can’t quite forgive the author for killing off my favourite character half way through, and aside from him there was no other character that intrigued me, but his style is rather lovely. I don’t know if I want to continue this series, but there are some relationships that I enjoyed watching – the arranged marriage, the man seeking revenge, the bloodless battle between Jehal and the Speaker – those parts are very delightful.

Characters: 5/10
Setting: 6/10
Plot: 4/10
Dialogue: 6/10
Overall: 5/10 ( )
2 vote EffingEden | Mar 17, 2011 |
It is only a small book, the characterisation of the characters could be more detailed, the narrative could be more descriptive. Nevertheless I thought it was a great read with a great twist on dragons. I loved the way how Snow developed from a sweet, finally freed dragon to something akin rutheless like the humans themselves.
This book made me laugh and I thouroghly enjoyed it ( )
  drachenbraut23 | Feb 22, 2011 |

The Adamantine Palace lies at the centre of an empire that grew out of ashes. Once dragons ruled the world and man was little more than prey. Then a way of subduing the dragons alchemicly was discovered and now the dragons are bred to be little more than mounts for knights and highly valued tokens in the diplomatic power-players that underpin the rule of the competing aristocratic houses. The Empire has grown fat. And now one man wants it for himself. A man prepared to poison the king just as he has poisoned his own father. A man prepared to murder his lover and bed her daughter. A man fit to be king? But uknown to him there are flames on the way. A single dragon has gone missing. And even one dragon on the loose, unsubdued, returned to its full intelligence, its full fury, could spell disaster for the Empire. But because of the actions of one unscrupulous mercenary the rivals for the throne could soon be facing hundreds of dragons ...

The Adamantine Palace lies at the centre of an empire that grew out of ashes. Once dragons ruled the world and man was little more than prey. Then a way of subduing the dragons alchemicly was discovered and now the dragons are bred to be little more than mounts for knights and highly valued tokens in the diplomatic power-players.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,507,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible