The Sorceress by Michael Scott

The Sorceress (2009)

by Michael Scott

Series: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (3)

English (46)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (51)
The worldbuilding really did get better in this book. However, at some points the history almost gets to be too much. As in, too much explanation of the history of people involved. I wanted to know a lot more about Palamedes but didn't really get what I wanted. I already know about Shakespeare (did no one address the sex jokes seriously).

I love these kinds of books, that weave history into their lore but manage it BELIEVABLY, so I can put off my suspension of disbelief and think, "Wow. This is possible." I love the details in the description that don't overpower the writing.

At the same time, how do I know how powerful any of the characters really are if all are at the same power level? I'm willing to believe an informed explanation from other characters but... it's off.

I love how Dee is making himself believe. Michael Scott has his characters do completely human things (even if they annoy me). Most of the time.

I don't quite understand his definition of immortality. He isn't very specific on what it encompasses in some aspects, and it doesn't seem to fit a classical definition so much as a hierarchy?

Necromancer review soon enough. ( )
  ElizabethJoseph | Feb 10, 2016 |
The writing style wasn't easy to get into, but I remembered that from the other books. I was really frustrated by the endings of every chapter. Each chapter is a different character's perspective, and each chapter just about ended in the middle of a scene, in some cases, in the middle of a sentence. I like the story, so I plod on. ( )
  MrsAlwyn | Nov 29, 2015 |
Lots of action and even more amazing folks from history. I honestly wish I could get my hands on Machiavelli's database just to get the dirt on everybody and find out how people became immortals and what kinds of lives they have lead. ( )

Michael Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gulik, Henny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een magisch boek wordt gestolen.
De twee die één zijn zullen de wereld redden...
of vernietigen
For Courtney, ex animo
I am tired now, so tired.

While armies of the Shadowrealms gather and Machiavelli goes to Alcatraz to kill Perenelle Flamel, fifteen-year-old twins Sophie and Josh Newman accompany the Alchemist to England to seek Gilgamesh.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,255,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible