The Story Girl by L. M. Montgomery

The Story Girl (1911)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: The Story Girl (1)

When Bev and Felix King are sent to live with their aunt and uncle following their father's transfer from Toronto to Brazil, they find themselves warmly welcomed by their cousins and the rest of the social circle that revolves around the King farm in Carlisle, Prince Edward Island. Amongst the cousins, they meet Sara Stanley, the Story Girl whose silver tongue makes every story she tells utterly compelling. Over the course of the spring and summer, the King cousins get into various adventures and scrapes that only children on a farm can manage.

No matter the central character, Montgomery weaves a world that is full of the magic of long summer days and gorgeous landscapes. I did find it interesting she went with a first-person narration in this novel and that her narrator is a boy as Montgomery is so intertwined with her heroines in my mind. However, I found Bev's narration completely believable. It was also fascinating to finally encounter the source material that inspired the Canadian institution that was the television show, Road to Avonlea, and compare the differences. I'll be curious to see how the character development continues in [The Golden Road] and again compare and contrast with my memories of the show. For those readers that have already fallen in love with Montgomery's writing style. ( )
  MickyFine | Feb 19, 2019 |
Slow start. Took awhile to get into. ( )
  Bookoftheworm | Aug 15, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While not a part of the Anne of Green Gables series or story line, this story is very similarly themed! Great female protagonist, great morals, and an amazing feel-good kind of idyllic story. Definitely would recommend this one to my friends! ( )
  Brittany_Benson | Jun 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm loving this book. I won a copy from LibraryThing giveaways. Unfortunately my copy came with missing pages and duplicated pages in their stead. I am searching out another copy to continue the story. It is a delightful book.

The Story Girl is a wonderful slice of life in a quieter more relaxed time. It is wonderful to read of the fears and triumphs of these great kids. I was touched by how they loved one another through arguments and forgiveness. I was surprised by some of the vocabulary. I think it might be a challenge for modern readers. A lovely book. I'm very glad that it has been brought back to print. Thank you to the publisher for the gift of an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  njcur | Jun 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had read this book as a wee girl and I remember loving it, as I did all of Montgomery's work, but reading it as an adult was a wonderful experience. It was almost like reading it again for the first time because it had just been so long (over 20 years!). The new cover is perfect for the story, and Montgomery has always had a beautiful way with words. Sara is a wonderful character, if not bratty at times, but what child isn't? PEI is described in such a way that I must visit it someday! Wonderful story, wonderful writing. 5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jun 5, 2018 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"She was a form of life and light

That seen, became a part of sight,

And rose, where'er I turn'd mine eye,

The morning-star of Memory!"
—Byron.
TO MY COUSIN

Frederica E. Campbell

IN REMEMBRANCE OF OLD DAYS, OLD DREAMS, AND OLD LAUGHTER
"I do like a road, because you can be always wondering what is at the end of it."

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

In the old-fashioned town of Carlisle, children and adults come from miles around to hear Sara, the Story Girl, weave her spellbinding tales. Young readers will be enchanted by Sara's "Tale of the Family Ghost," "How Kissing Was Discovered," and many others.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

Though only fourteen, Sara Stanley's storytelling ability attracts listeners from miles around the small town of Carlisle.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

L. M. Montgomery's book The Story Girl was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,417,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible