Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft…

Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations…

by Cliff Atkinson

Series: Bpg-Other

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
Cliff Atkinson’s visual approach to PowerPoint slide presentations has become a virtual industry centered around this second edition of his book; his Beyond Bullet Points web site (http://www.beyondbulletpoints.com/) with a blog, free templates, and links to updated material; and plenty of samples being created and posted online by those who have learned what he is teaching. Showing readers how to avoid slides which are text-laden and full of bullet-point items read to bored learners by substandard presenters, Atkinson provides inspiration for anyone who wants to create online lessons which will be effective, memorable, and fun for everyone involved in e-learning. ( )
  paulsignorelli | Nov 26, 2010 |
I tend to be involved in more interactive meetings than the typical one-way PowerPoint presentation, but every discussion needs a framework at the beginning. The storyboarding templates alone are worth the price of the book. Unless, of course, you like to see people dozing off or checking their blackberries during your presentation. ( )
  bkohl | Feb 4, 2010 |
Excellent advice on how to give attention-holding presentations. It boils down to: Write an outline; rehearse; write a speech based on the outline; rehearse; make some slides to go with the speech; rehearse. It really puts the emphasis on what is important - your presentation, not the slides that go with it. Sort of an alternative to Tufte's advice, which could be paraphrased as: don't give a PPT presentation; write a technical memo, instead. ( )
  dmihalcik | Jul 16, 2008 |
While Edward Tufte's The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint will continue to be, for me, the BEST book on making a good PowerPoint presentation, this book comes in second... and then there's a big jump to all others on the list. I can't believe I'm recommending a book published by Microsoft but this one is really good. With Atkinson's and Tufte's advice, I now regularly get compliments on my PowerPoint presentations.

I've also recommended this book to a few librarians when they've asked me how I've created my online animated tutorials; the advice here translates well to that forum.

Overall, a great book even if it can feel a little long in some areas. Hopefully the next edition is pared down a bit to make for a more enjoyable (and faster) read.
  LaurieLibrarian | May 6, 2008 |
Powerpoint and bullet points seem to be so synonymous with each other that I never think twice before working on any presentations. After reading 'Beyong Bullet Points ' it gave me another perspective of presenting my ideas. Thinking in terms of story is what we all do in our daily lives so why not use it professionally.
A very nice reading to deliver your ideas effectively by keeping the audience engaged. ( )
  tanu_jain | Sep 9, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0735620520, Paperback)

Unload those boring, bullet-riddled slides—and unlock the amazing story buried in your presentation! In BEYOND BULLET POINTS, communications expert Cliff Atkinson shares his innovative three-step system for increasing the impact of your communications with Microsoft PowerPoint. He guides you, step by step, as you discover how to combine the tenets of classic storytelling with the power of the projected media to create a rich, engaging experience. He walks you through his easy-to-use templates, plus 50 advanced tips, to help build your confidence and effectiveness—and quickly bring your ideas to life!

FOCUS: Learn how to distill your best ideas into a crisp and compelling narrative.

CLARIFY: Use a storyboard to clarify and visualize your ideas, creating the right blend of message and media.

ENGAGE:Move from merely reading your slides to creating a rich, connected experience with your audience—and increase your impact!

Inside!: See sample storyboards for a variety of presentation types—including investment, sales, educational, and training.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:28 -0400)

A guide to using Microsoft PowerPoint describes how to use stories to create effective business presentations.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,117,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible