Cookie by Jacqueline Wilson

Cookie (edition 2010)

by Jacqueline Wilson, Nick Sharratt (Illustrator)

Member:Iona_Steph
Title:Cookie
Authors:Jacqueline Wilson
Other authors:Nick Sharratt (Illustrator)
Info:Square Fish (2010), Paperback, 352 pages

Cookie by Jacqueline Wilson

A nice little story for younger readers although the way Cookie talked to the TV presenter and his rabbit was really annoying and spoilt an otherwise good book. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
I was vaguely aware that Jacqueline Wilson was very popular in the UK and the couple things of hers we have at our library check out consistently. So, I picked up an ARC of Cookie at ALA and decided it was time to read my first Jacqueline Wilson, spurred on by a young patron at our library who told me how much she loved these books.

Beauty Mercedes Cookson is not the pretty, perfect girl her father wants. Her mother, a fluffy, pretty, ditzy girl (she's barely older than Beauty) can't always be perfect either. His frightening rages and vocal abuse finally go too far and Beauty and her mother leave. Through a series of lucky circumstances, they find a better life and settle down happily.

If all Wilson's mothers are as "fluffy" as Mrs. Cookson, "Silly Dilly", I can see Ms. Yingling's complaint about the repetition. On the other hand, I've known quite a few moms like this - whose responsible daughters ended up taking over the household. I think it's unrealistic to expect Mrs. Cookson to be a mature, logical adult, as it's stressed throughout the book that she's never had the chance to be an adult. But although she makes a lot of foolish mistakes, she really tries hard to do what's best for her daughter. And Beauty, renamed Cookie, does end up with a better life. Wish fulfillment? Of course. We all need a little fluff in our lives.

Verdict: This is a fun, escapist read with some darker moments.

ISBN: 978-1596435346; Published September 2009 by Roaring Brook; ARC provided by publisher at ALA 2009
  JeanLittleLibrary | Nov 13, 2011 |
More of the ever-enjoyable same from Jacqueline Wilson. As in so many of her recent books, she lapses into metaness (this time it's A Little Princess, and a TV show with a white rabbit), and her teenage-misery-lit is starting to feel a little repetitive. But it's a good read. ( )
  atreic | Oct 11, 2011 |
A brilliant book ( )
  Lucky132 | May 17, 2011 |
This book is really good! ( )
  Eilidh1799 | Sep 3, 2010 |

Frequently berated for breaking his hyper-fussy house rules, as well as for her lack of looks, confidence and friends, Beauty lives in uneasy fear whenever Dad’s home. Her pretty, sweet mum is equally afraid of him.

Eventually, after an unbearable birthday party, amidst fears that Dad’s temper is out of control, Mum and Beauty run away. They find themselves in an idyllic seaside resort where their new-found freedom and a moment of culinary inspiration give them a hobby, an income and even a new nickname for Beauty whose dreams all come true — and she deserves it!

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

Beauty Cookson is no beauty - she's a plain girl, surrounded by super-confident, snooty girls at school. But worse than the teasing in the playground is her father's temper. Eventually, after an unbearable birthday party and a very real fear that Dad's temper is out of control, Mum and Beauty run away.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,681,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible