True Colors by Jayne Ann Krentz

True Colors

by Jayne Ann Krentz

145None82,310 (3.24)None
Recently added bypathfindercentral, rkchr, Marlin.Library, private library, rickerlibrary, Talthor, Shannon30

The man Jamie Garland fell in love with was a lie - Cade Santerre's wealthy businessman on vacation act was just a ruse to suck in a swindler. Jamie feels betrayed, but Cade still wants her. Can he convince her to see things his way before it's too late?

Of course the end is a foregone conclusion. ( )
  SunnySD | Apr 29, 2012 |
Good lord. I checked and re-checked the copyright date of this one several times, and it remained 1986. I can only believe it came from some time warp at least 30 years earlier. Peanut-butter (yes, with the hyphen) is a delicacy and comes in a carton in the refrigerator. Toasters are such high-tech & presumably expensive items that the heroine's wealthy (& not otherwise eccentric) employer doesn't have one & instead uses a 'toast rack' in the oven. Self-serve gas pumps are annoying and rare. A clue to the mystery is some "recording tapes" and apparently the "machines" for listening to them are pretty high-tech/expensive/otherwise rare because only the wealthy employer has one. Those are just the things I remember off the top of my head. I'm a contemporary of the heroine--that is, in 1986, I was 25, about the same as the heroine. We'd had toasters and peanut butter in jars ever since I was a small child. We also had 'cassette tapes' and 'tape recorders', and believe me, my family was firmly lower-middle-class. No cutting edge technology in our house. Self-serve pumps were around ever since I learned to drive--though some privately owned stations still had full-service pumps, you didn't see them often. The anachronisms were bad/confusing enough, then you had the characters. I admit, this was a novelty: BOTH the hero and the heroine were TSTL. Obviously, they were meant for each other. The hero persists in believing that the heroine is pregnant despite ALL evidence to the contrary. The heroine hires him to find out if her employer's brother really did commit suicide, but then refuses to let him see the letter the brother sent her employer THE FREAKIN' DAY BEFORE HIS 'DEATH' because 'it might be private.' ::headdesk:: And then there was the straw that broke this camel's back: the incessant whining from both of them about 'you don't TRUST me.' GAH. The only reason this gets an extra half-star is that the writing--that is, the way the words were put together--was okay. ( )
  Darla | Apr 7, 2006 |
The reporters descended like a swarm of vampire bats, surrounding the tomato-red Audi before Jamie Garland could even get the door open.

Her heart was on the line..Jamie Garland loved working for the eccentric Miss Isabel. Her job often threw her into the company of the most fascinating people . . . like Cade Santerre. From the start, he made no secret of the fact that he desired her. And only last night, he'd tenderly made love to her .. A morning visit from the authorities changed everything. And, angry over Cade's apparent betrayal, Jamie sent him away. But weeks later a question still burned within her--one that could only be answered by seeking out Cade.

Jamie's job often threw her into the company of the most fascinating people-- like Cade Santerre. From the start, he made no secret of the fact that he desired her. And only last night, he'd tenderly made love to her.... But a morning visit from the authorities changed everything. And, angry over Cade's apparent betrayal, Jamie sent him away. But weeks later a question still burned within her-- one that could only be answered by seeking out Cade.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,464,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible