Little people in the city: the street art of…

Little people in the city: the street art of Slinkachu (2008)

by Slinkachu

I've never seen anything like this before, and I was amazed. Love the way Slinkachu has given us two photos of each creation, the real life size one and then the miniature version. And to think that when he had finished these works of art, he just left them behind for some lucky person to discover! ( )
  Fliss88 | Oct 30, 2011 |
A series of exquisite, wryly amusing miniature photographic tableaux. Slinkachu is a bit of a one trick pony but it's a great trick. ( )
  tonidew | Aug 9, 2011 |
Yay! Heard of Slinkachu a year or two ago on German TV, in a short piece about his work. Wrote down his name on a piece of paper and always meant to find out more about him. This week, when I was at the Tate Modern, I spotted this book. I got The Stare from the book store clerk, because I was blocking the cash desk, reading (hey, why do you put the interesting stuff right next to the cashing machine then?).
Spent an evening leafing back and forth through the book, even my little niece had a look (but at 3, she doesn't "get" the "overview" pictures, just the scenes themselves). I spared her the cover pic of the shot bumble bee though.

I think I'll never look at a crack in the pavement with the same eyes again (a tiny road worker cannot be far away, can he?) ( )
1 vote GirlFromIpanema | Jan 1, 2011 |
Can't compare it to anything. ( )
  kc_wedding | May 16, 2010 |
Little People in the City is a slight but thoroughly entertaining work, and for someone like me with no previous exposure to Slinkachu's work, something of a revelation. These carefully composed street scenes of tiny models going about their everyday lives in the midst of busy, full-scale modern urban areas are fun, thought-provoking and a little frightening at the same time. Slinkachu has captured a small piece of zen in the midst of hectic city life, and his photographs encourage the reader to see something new in the (often) bland landscape of city life. ( )
  dr_zirk | Dec 4, 2009 |
INTRODUCTION BY SLINKACHU

Policeman: Excuse me Sir. Would you mind telling me what you are doing?
‘They’re not pets, Susan’

‘They’re Not Pets, Susan,’ says a stern father who has just shot a bumblebee, its wings sparkling in the evening sunlight; a lone office worker, less than an inch high, looks out over the river in his lunch break, ‘Dreaming of Packing it all In’; and a tiny couple share a ‘Last Kiss’ against the soft neon lights of the city at midnight. Mixing sharp humour with a delicious edge of melancholy, Little People in the City brings together the collected photographs of Slinkachu, a street-artist who for several years has been leaving little hand-painted people in the bustling city to fend for themselves, waiting to be discovered. . . ‘Oddly enough, even when you know they are just hand-painted figurines, you can’t help but feel that their plights convey something of our own fears about being lost and vulnerable in a big, bad city.’ The Times

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,840,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible