Undue Process: The Untold Story of…

Undue Process: The Untold Story of American's German Alien Internees (edition 1997)

by Arnold Krammer

91950,433 (3.67)None
Member:nfpr2boziis
Title:Undue Process: The Untold Story of American's German Alien Internees
Authors:Arnold Krammer
Info:Rowman & Littlefield Publishers (1997), Edition: First, Hardcover, 224 pages
Tags:World War Two

Undue process : the untold story of America's German alien internees by Arnold Krammer

I read this book as a follow-up to The Train to Crystal City, because I wanted to learn more about the persecution of German aliens (and in some cases, citizens) in the United States during World War II, a topic overshadowed in our history by the internment of Japanese-Americans.

This book is relevant for me because I am currently doing some research about a first cousin twice removed who, despite immigrating here from Germany in 1912 and serving in the Army, was still not naturalized when World War II broke out.  He too was arrested (apparently because his American-born wife had a short-wave radio, illegal for aliens) and briefly detained, and then was a parolee for most of the rest of the war.

Author Arnold Krammer is (now) a retired history professor at Texas A&M University (I might have had him; he was teaching when I was there).  Using mostly primary sources, such as government documents released soon before the book was written (1997), Krammer provides more background information on why and how the government identified "dangerous" aleins, and how they were arrested and processed.  He also discusses issues that arose after the Civil Rights Act of 1988 passed, which compensated Japanese-Americans who were unfairly interned, but completely ignored German-Americans.

The extensive end notes (19 pages), bibliography (eight pages), and index (four pages) should help me in my research.

© Amanda Pape - 2016

[This book was borrowed from and returned to my university library.] ( )
  riofriotex | Nov 4, 2016 |

Most Americans know that the American government forcibly uprooted and transported thousands of Japanese and Japanese-Americans living on the West Coast to relocation camps for the duration of World War II. What American history has overlooked is that the same injustice was perpetuated against the German population in the United States. Defying clearly articulated constitutional principles, the American government ordered the arrest and internment of thousands of German aliens, including women and children, in federal prison camps without trials or the opportunity for appeal. Based on extensive primary research, including interviews with former prisoners and recently released government documents, prominent historian Arnold Krammer tells the shocking story of America's treatment of German aliens during World War II. Krammer illuminates the government's motives and methods, identifies the victims of the persecution, and describes the quality of life in the camps. With dozens of revealing, never-before- published photographs, this is the first book to explore this neglected topic, and Krammer's well-supported and controversial conclusions will force historians to re-examine America's war-time treatment of all ethnic groups.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:50 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,751,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible