The Gripping Hand by Larry Niven

The Gripping Hand

by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle (Author)

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The original work to which The gripping Hand is a sequel.
    Outies by J. R. Pournelle (J.R.Pournelle)
    J.R.Pournelle: Authorized sequel, by Jerry Pournelle's daughter.

English (18)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  All languages (22)
I enjoyed the first book in this series, but after reading 60% of this second book, I'm giving up. The plot seems confusing to me, probably because I am lost in terminology and find the characters not memorable enough to keep track of them, with one exception. I kept reading to see if the problem of overpopulation of Moties gets solved, but after plodding along for more than half of a rather long book, I no longer really care. There has been very little in the book that has been interesting to me. There is a mystery, primarily, "What is going on and when will it end?"
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
This is the sequel to The Mote in God's Eye. From the back of the book "...twenty-five years have passed since humanity quarantined the mysterious aliens known as Moties within ghe confines of their own solar system. The have spent a quarter century analyzing and agonizing over the deadly threat posed by the only aliens mankind has ever encountered -- a race divided into distinct biological forms, each serving a different function. Master. Mediator. Engineer. Warrior. Each supremely adapted to its task, yet doomed by millions of years of evolution to an inescapable fate. For the Moties must breed -- or die." ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 14, 2017 |
As the sequel to the Mote in God’s Eye, I was excited to return to this universe. Mote was a fine book, a little slow, but fantastic, easy to see what it won all those awards. This one – not as much. First, it starts very slow, a rounding up of all the previous characters. The main character this time isn’t Lord Blaine, but Bury, the merchant, magnet, and now, spy to the Empire. His PTSD from his time with the Moties leads to strong paranoia about them – and it serve the Empire well. The Moties are close to breaking the blockage and it is up to Bury to use all his power to convince the right people to prepare before it is too late.
We get to meet Lord and Lady Blaine’s children and a few other new characters, and revisit old ones too. However, the story moves slowly. So much time spent on the characters speaking yet very little development or action. The action takes place at the end, and will intriguing, by the time I got there, I just wanted the story over. There are some tense parts (being the very real dangers the Moties present) but those don’t make up for the tedious back and forth of nothing.
Sadly, this doesn’t live up to the first novel, although it is part of the series and worth reading if you enjoy hard science fiction with strong conflict and real moral dilemmas. ( )
  empress8411 | Apr 27, 2017 |
Almost as good as the original, though even it were just as good, there will never be another voyage of discovery like the first book was.

Same authors, same in-depth study of an alien species, same shallow treatment of the human characters.

Many of the plot lines are rooted in the original story to the point where it's clear that this was pre-planned. I wonder how come it took so long to flesh out and publish.

If you loved the Mote, absolutely positively read this as well. ( )
  meekGee | Jul 6, 2015 |
We deal with some issues arising from " The Mote in God's Eye". The ferocious reproduction rate of the Moties has made them quite a threat to Human space, and a means must be found to restrict their going number of access points. Characters from the first book return to wage the struggle. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jan 11, 2014 |

Niven, LarryAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pournelle, JerryAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MacLeod, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marilyn and Roberta, those most patient of ladies...
A severed head spun across black sky. He had been a Marine: square jaw, closed-cropped blond hair, glittering dead eyes.
Published in the US with Title "The Gripping Hand"; Published in the UK with Title "The Moat Around Murcheson's Eye"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671795740, Mass Market Paperback)

Robert Heinlein called it "possibly the finest science fiction novel I have ever read." The San Francisco Chronicle declared that "as science fiction, The Mote in God's Eye is one of the most important novels ever published." Now Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, award winning authors of such bestsellers as Footfall and The Legacy of Heorot, return us to the Mote, and to the universe of Kevin Renner and Horace Bury, of Rod Blaine and Sally Fowler. There, 25 years have passed since humanity quarantined the mysterious aliens known as Moties within the confines of their own solar system. They have spent a quarter century analyzing and agonizing over the deadly threat posed by the only aliens mankind has ever encountered-- a race divided into distinct biological forms, each serving a different function. Master, Mediator, Engineer. Warrior. Each supremely adapted to its task, yet doomed by millions of years of evolution to an inescapable fate. For the Moties must breed-- or die. And now the fragile wall separating them and the galaxy beyond is beginning to crumble.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

Sequel to; The Mote in God's Eye.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,341,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible