Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Where the Red Fern Grows (1961)

by Wilson Rawls

English (184)  Dutch (1)  All languages (185)
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
249 pages

★★★★

When I was a young kid, I had A LOT of difficulties with reading; to the point that I was sent to special education classes until they figured out I wasn’t “slow”, just dyslexic. Why is this important to know? Because due to my struggle, I just didn’t want to read. But this was the first book I really remember picking up and reading from beginning to end and I remember the impact it left on me (whether because it was the first book I finished or because of the actual writing, I don’t know). So when there was challenge in one of my groups to pick up a book I had once read, this book came to mind immediately. My copy disappeared 20 years ago, so instead of picking up a copy at the library, I couldn’t help but procure my own copy once again. I practically cried when it showed up in the mail for goodness sakes. So would the book live up the hype I had given it all these years? That was my main concern – that my all time favorite book would be tarnished with time.

Ok, so I was probably better off not re-reading this one. The magic that was there the first time wasn’t quite as noticeable. I found it boring in parts, a bit repetitive. In other parts, I found parts more rushed than necessary. Regardless of that, I loved the nostalgia in getting into this book so long after the first read through. Instead of over-criticizing it, I had to just go with it at times and remind myself that this is a children’s book, not one of my “big-kid” books. I loved the simplicity in the love between a boy and his dogs. Anyone who has animals can probably relate to some extent. And of course, anyone who has read this book knows at least a couple tissues are needed for the last 10 percent of this book! Does Where the Red Fern Grows hold up as well as I had hoped? Not quite but still love it.
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
This was one of my absolute favorites as a kid. I cried buckets at the end. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
I loved this book. I think that it had a great message and a great story for young kids.

Billy Colman is not afraid to work for what he wants. He proved that at a very young age, when he saved for over two years for the thing that he wanted most in the world, two hounds to go coon hunting. Through his experiences he learns many lessons, ones that can be conveyed to the reader as well; Work hard for what you want and it will be most rewarding, there is a reason for everything although you may not see it at first and most importantly, how to love. ( )
  alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |

alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |
I read this in school sometime in my highschool or Middle time. I do not remember the date I read it but I do remember reading it twice. ( )
  Lindz2012 | Jan 21, 2016 |

Rawls, Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGinnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wonderful wife
without whose help this book
would not have been
written.
When I left my office that beautiful spring day, I had no idea what was in store for me.
This is the original book by Wilson Rawls; please do not combine with any film adaptation.

ISBN 0821919873 is not a dvd.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440412676, Paperback)

Author Wilson Rawls spent his boyhood much like the character of this book, Billy Colman, roaming the Ozarks of northeastern Oklahoma with his bluetick hound. A straightforward, shoot-from-the-hip storyteller with a searingly honest voice, Rawls is well-loved for this powerful 1961 classic and the award-winning novel Summer of the Monkeys. In Where the Red Fern Grows, Billy and his precious coonhound pups romp relentlessly through the Ozarks, trying to "tree" the elusive raccoon. In time, the inseparable trio wins the coveted gold cup in the annual coon-hunt contest, captures the wily ghost coon, and bravely fights with a mountain lion. When the victory over the mountain lion turns to tragedy, Billy grieves, but learns the beautiful old Native American legend of the sacred red fern that grows over the graves of his dogs. This unforgettable classic belongs on every child's bookshelf. (Ages 9 and up)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

A young boy living in the Ozarks achieves his heart's desire when he becomes the owner of two redbone hounds and teaches them to be champion hunters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,167,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible