Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Where the Red Fern Grows (1961)

by Wilson Rawls

English (172)  Dutch (1)  All languages (173)
This is truly one book that may end up influencing and touching you more so the first time reading it than in following readings. For me it touches me each and every time while I was only able to stave off the main tears since I was distracting myself at the same time with mundane events.

I was introduced to this book when I was in the second grade by my teacher. He told us upfront that he wouldn't be reading the ending of the book since it put him in tears and that he would be getting the only other male teacher in our school. When that day arrived my teacher never stayed in the classroom but gave it up. We listened to the end and watched another man - a big, scary man if you didn't know him - reading with tears falling down his face. These are memories that seem to go hand-in-hand with the reading of this story.

Anyway Wilson Rawls is an amazing author who puts so much emotion into his story, so much life and is able to tie his story to your soul. From the beginning where the mood is dark and nostalgic then down memory lane where a boy's deepest desires come true before leading to the dreams coming true for his parents as well through the beautiful gift of two amazing little hound pups who gave so much just like most other dogs.

For as many people who read this book and have done reviews there really isn't much to add that someone else may or may not have mentioned. In this reading it made me wonder why Rawls character cried so much (I didn't seem to pick it up in other readings), which irritated me but throughout the book it also shows the maturity of the boy as he goes through life in the Ozarks.

An amazing read that if it isn't considered classic should be.... ( )
1 vote flamingrosedrakon | Aug 25, 2015 |
Read this in 7th grade and had to read it again to teach my 8th graders. Most of them really liked it. It's a sweet story about a boy and his hunting dogs--touching to children and adults alike. Of course, it made me cry and also gave me good feelings.

I would recommend this as a good story to read aloud to your upper elementary school-aged kids, or to just enjoy on your own.
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
Boring. The main character's a wuss. ( )
  AshleyDioses | Aug 1, 2015 |
Character development, upper elementary, the bond between pets and child. ( )
  ElaineZhang | Jul 16, 2015 |
the best book i ever read so far, also gut wrenching, emotionally draining and downright breathtaking. recommend to anyone over 8. love the characters. ( )
  Alwaysmidnight | Jun 16, 2015 |

Rawls, Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGinnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wonderful wife
without whose help this book
would not have been
written.
When I left my office that beautiful spring day, I had no idea what was in store for me.
This is the original book by Wilson Rawls; please do not combine with any film adaptation.

ISBN 0821919873 is not a dvd.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440412676, Paperback)

Author Wilson Rawls spent his boyhood much like the character of this book, Billy Colman, roaming the Ozarks of northeastern Oklahoma with his bluetick hound. A straightforward, shoot-from-the-hip storyteller with a searingly honest voice, Rawls is well-loved for this powerful 1961 classic and the award-winning novel Summer of the Monkeys. In Where the Red Fern Grows, Billy and his precious coonhound pups romp relentlessly through the Ozarks, trying to "tree" the elusive raccoon. In time, the inseparable trio wins the coveted gold cup in the annual coon-hunt contest, captures the wily ghost coon, and bravely fights with a mountain lion. When the victory over the mountain lion turns to tragedy, Billy grieves, but learns the beautiful old Native American legend of the sacred red fern that grows over the graves of his dogs. This unforgettable classic belongs on every child's bookshelf. (Ages 9 and up)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

A young boy living in the Ozarks achieves his heart's desire when he becomes the owner of two redbone hounds and teaches them to be champion hunters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,124,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible