Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Where the Red Fern Grows (original 1961; edition 1996)

by Wilson Rawls

Member:Craigrugby
Title:Where the Red Fern Grows
Authors:Wilson Rawls
Info:Yearling (1996), Edition: third, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:5th-6th Grade Readers, Historical Fiction, Chapter Books
Rating:***1/2
Tags:dogs, Ozarks, hunting, legends, depression era

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (1961)

English (209)  Dutch (1)  All languages (210)
Beautiful nostalgic book from my childhood. ( )
  caseybp | Nov 12, 2018 |
This book is really sweet. It makes you want to roam through the Ozarks with a pair of hounds. Then the end comes, and like all books about dogs, it is devastating. Why is that? Why can't the dog live? For once? Please!
Even though you know its coming it still hits hard. Tears will be shed, but it will be worth it. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
I always avoided this book because I knew how it ended and I didn't want to subject myself to such pain. Overcoming my dramatic aversion I broke down and read this only to be just as sad as I thought I would be at the end of it. I didn't have a childhood like Billy's but I have experienced the deep desire to do something that was bigger than me. My version of coon hunting was playing basketball, so it wasn't as intense. ( )
  CaputoJohn | Sep 30, 2018 |
When I felt tears prickling the back of my eyes in the first chapter of this book, I knew I was in trouble. By the last page, I was curled in the foetal position sobbing my heart out. This truly is a coming-of-age classic and, while I didn't enjoy the way Billy and his two beloved hounds, Little Anne and Old Dan, hunted raccoons for sport, considering the time frame and setting of this book, I can imagine many teenage boys doing exactly the same thing.

I loved the beautiful descriptions of the hills, rivers and animals of the Cherokee country, they brought the book to life. The special bond between Billy and is two dogs was truly touching, as was the close relationship between Old Dan and Little Annie. Having pet dogs all my life I can understand how much Billy loved them; their loyalty, faithfulness, devotion and unending love always astounds me.

So if you haven't read “Where the Red Fern Grows” before, do yourself a favour and grab a copy, but make sure you have boxes (yes boxes, not a box) of Kleenex close by. A beautiful, moving story. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Sep 30, 2018 |
Where the Red Fern Grows is a children's novel based on a boy named Billy that is determined to get two hound dogs for hunting. Billy eventually saves up $50 to buy two hound dogs. I think this novel can be read by any child and can relate to a bunch of children. This novel is heartwarming and really shows determination, commitment, and friendship.
  courtneytosto | Sep 24, 2018 |

Rawls, Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGinnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wonderful wife
without whose help this book
would not have been
written.
When I left my office that beautiful spring day, I had no idea what was in store for me.
This is the original book by Wilson Rawls; please do not combine with any film adaptation.

ISBN 0821919873 is not a dvd.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440412676, Paperback)

Author Wilson Rawls spent his boyhood much like the character of this book, Billy Colman, roaming the Ozarks of northeastern Oklahoma with his bluetick hound. A straightforward, shoot-from-the-hip storyteller with a searingly honest voice, Rawls is well-loved for this powerful 1961 classic and the award-winning novel Summer of the Monkeys. In Where the Red Fern Grows, Billy and his precious coonhound pups romp relentlessly through the Ozarks, trying to "tree" the elusive raccoon. In time, the inseparable trio wins the coveted gold cup in the annual coon-hunt contest, captures the wily ghost coon, and bravely fights with a mountain lion. When the victory over the mountain lion turns to tragedy, Billy grieves, but learns the beautiful old Native American legend of the sacred red fern that grows over the graves of his dogs. This unforgettable classic belongs on every child's bookshelf. (Ages 9 and up)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

A young boy living in the Ozarks achieves his heart's desire when he becomes the owner of two redbone hounds and teaches them to be champion hunters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,174,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible