Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Where the Red Fern Grows (original 1961; edition 1984)

by Wilson Rawls

Member:bherner
Title:Where the Red Fern Grows
Authors:Wilson Rawls
Info:Bantam Books (1984), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 249 pages
Tags:fiction, classic, YA fiction, dogs, Ozarks

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (1961)

English (169)  Dutch (1)  All languages (170)
Character development, upper elementary, the bond between pets and child. ( )
  ElaineZhang | Jul 16, 2015 |
the best book i ever read so far, also gut wrenching, emotionally draining and downright breathtaking. recommend to anyone over 8. love the characters. ( )
  Alwaysmidnight | Jun 16, 2015 |
Billy is a young boy who if he could have anything it would be hound dogs. Billy loves to watch people go coon hunting and Billy wants to try himself. Billy raises money with the help from other people to buy hound dogs. when Billy has enough money to buy some dogs he goes into town and buys some. Billy loves old Dan and Little Anne. he goes coon hunting with them and plays with them all day long. he loves them to death. in the end the dogs do die. Billy buries them and carves their names into rocks as gravestones. a little red fern pops up at the gravesite for the dogs.
I give this book a five star rating. I was one of the best books I have ever read. this book was full of caring and sharing. I think anybody could read this book and enjoy it as much as I did. this book was amazing and inspiring too. ( )
  HaleyC.B4 | May 25, 2015 |
This book definitely draws a few tears, especially the ending. The story is about a young boy who decides he wants to purchase two dogs, a boy and a girl, in order to train them to hunt racoons. His dogs become some of the best hunters and make his family a lot of money with the fur they are able to sell from the racoons. The dogs become the boys best friends. In the end, the male dog gets into a fight with a mountain lion which ends up killing him. The girl dog is so heartbroken that she gives up and passes away shortly after. The young boy is devastated until one day when he goes to visit the dogs' graves in the forest and sees a red fern growing in between them. He knows this is a sign that they are okay and will always be with him. Me, being the dog lover I am, really connected with the boy and his dogs relationship, so I was heart broken for him when the dogs died. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Apr 29, 2015 |
I couldn't take any more. Listening to this hillbilly boy gush about the dogs just about drove me mad. I can't understand how I could have liked this story as a boy.
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |

Rawls, Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGinnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wonderful wife
without whose help this book
would not have been
written.
When I left my office that beautiful spring day, I had no idea what was in store for me.
This is the original book by Wilson Rawls; please do not combine with any film adaptation.

ISBN 0821919873 is not a dvd.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440412676, Paperback)

Author Wilson Rawls spent his boyhood much like the character of this book, Billy Colman, roaming the Ozarks of northeastern Oklahoma with his bluetick hound. A straightforward, shoot-from-the-hip storyteller with a searingly honest voice, Rawls is well-loved for this powerful 1961 classic and the award-winning novel Summer of the Monkeys. In Where the Red Fern Grows, Billy and his precious coonhound pups romp relentlessly through the Ozarks, trying to "tree" the elusive raccoon. In time, the inseparable trio wins the coveted gold cup in the annual coon-hunt contest, captures the wily ghost coon, and bravely fights with a mountain lion. When the victory over the mountain lion turns to tragedy, Billy grieves, but learns the beautiful old Native American legend of the sacred red fern that grows over the graves of his dogs. This unforgettable classic belongs on every child's bookshelf. (Ages 9 and up)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

A young boy living in the Ozarks achieves his heart's desire when he becomes the owner of two redbone hounds and teaches them to be champion hunters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,414,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible