Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Where the Red Fern Grows (original 1961; edition 1984)

by Wilson Rawls

Member:bherner
Title:Where the Red Fern Grows
Authors:Wilson Rawls
Info:Bantam Books (1984), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 249 pages
Tags:fiction, classic, YA fiction, dogs, Ozarks

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (1961)

English (159)  Dutch (1)  All languages (160)
The book was about a boy name Billy who gathers enough money to buy two hunting dogs,which he names Old Dan and Little Ann. Billy goes on many adventures with the two dogs grows a very strong bond with them throughout the book. On key event that takes place is the death of Ruben Pritchard, when he attacks Old Dan and Little Ann during a scuffle. Another key event that happens is when Little ann is entered in a beauty contest and she wins. Towards the end of the book, a very shocking event occurs and Billy sees a change in his life.
  astinchavez | Sep 4, 2014 |
This book will always be remembered as the first book that made me cry. I remember staying up until far past my bedtime, after even my parents had gone to bed, to finish it. One of those books from childhood that I just can't forget. ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
A loving threesome, they ranged the dark hills and river bottoms of Cherokee country. Old Dan had the brawn. Little Ann had the brains, and Billy had the will to make them into the finest hunting team in the valley. Glory and victory were coming to them, but sadness waited too. Where the Red Fern Grows is an exciting tale of love and adventure you'll never forget. ( )
  Stsmurphy | Jun 7, 2014 |
I had forgotten how much I loved this classic. ( )
  SparklePonies | May 2, 2014 |
I read this one out loud to Rex and Scot. We all loved it. I can't believe I had never read it before! ( )
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |

Rawls, Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGinnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wonderful wife
without whose help this book
would not have been
written.
When I left my office that beautiful spring day, I had no idea what was in store for me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440412676, Paperback)

Author Wilson Rawls spent his boyhood much like the character of this book, Billy Colman, roaming the Ozarks of northeastern Oklahoma with his bluetick hound. A straightforward, shoot-from-the-hip storyteller with a searingly honest voice, Rawls is well-loved for this powerful 1961 classic and the award-winning novel Summer of the Monkeys. In Where the Red Fern Grows, Billy and his precious coonhound pups romp relentlessly through the Ozarks, trying to "tree" the elusive raccoon. In time, the inseparable trio wins the coveted gold cup in the annual coon-hunt contest, captures the wily ghost coon, and bravely fights with a mountain lion. When the victory over the mountain lion turns to tragedy, Billy grieves, but learns the beautiful old Native American legend of the sacred red fern that grows over the graves of his dogs. This unforgettable classic belongs on every child's bookshelf. (Ages 9 and up)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:24 -0400)

A young boy living in the Ozarks achieves his heart's desire when he becomes the owner of two redbone hounds and teaches them to be champion hunters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible