Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Where the Red Fern Grows (original 1961; edition 1984)

by Wilson Rawls

Member:bherner
Title:Where the Red Fern Grows
Authors:Wilson Rawls
Info:Bantam Books (1984), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 249 pages
Tags:fiction, classic, YA fiction, dogs, Ozarks

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (1961)

English (187)  Dutch (1)  All languages (188)
Beautifully written. Almost makes me sympathetic to the pov. But not, because the pov is, imo, horrid. Hunting is all, even to a little kid who hunts opossums and frogs. No mention is made of eating all those coons - all that matters is the act of outwitting them and their hides. Cutting down a grandfather sycamore and killing the last mountain lion are seen as accomplishments. The mountain lion is seen as 'evil.' The womanfolks are seen as childish and trivial. And it's God's will that the dogs die. I read this as a child and didn't remember it much, so decided to reread it. Glad I did, so now I can perhaps save you the trouble of catching up on this so-called classic. If you object to The Biggest Bear by Lynd Ward you def. don't want to read this. If you do like this, you'll probably love that. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I bought this book for my 10 year old nephew that will devour anything with print. While I was waiting for him to come over and claim it, I read it. Where the Red Fern grows is a great story, has many specific details, and gets you deep into this story. The book is just about for anybody who likes a good story with lots of adventure, and swings your emotions through the book from eager and anxious to a glum sad feeling. Who doesn't love a dog? Here you get two dogs. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I love this book. It is truly excellent in a literature setting for a fifth grade class, as in incorporates all types of literary devises. It is also a fun read, and will most likely be able to interest boys as well as girls in the classroom. ( )
  CleoButtermann | Apr 25, 2016 |
One of the most memorable books of my childhood. ( )
  AZG1001 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I loved this book. I think that it had a great message and a great story for young kids.

Billy Colman is not afraid to work for what he wants. He proved that at a very young age, when he saved for over two years for the thing that he wanted most in the world, two hounds to go coon hunting. Through his experiences he learns many lessons, ones that can be conveyed to the reader as well; Work hard for what you want and it will be most rewarding, there is a reason for everything although you may not see it at first and most importantly, how to love. ( )
  welkeral | Mar 20, 2016 |

Rawls, Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGinnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wonderful wife
without whose help this book
would not have been
written.
When I left my office that beautiful spring day, I had no idea what was in store for me.
This is the original book by Wilson Rawls; please do not combine with any film adaptation.

ISBN 0821919873 is not a dvd.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440412676, Paperback)

Author Wilson Rawls spent his boyhood much like the character of this book, Billy Colman, roaming the Ozarks of northeastern Oklahoma with his bluetick hound. A straightforward, shoot-from-the-hip storyteller with a searingly honest voice, Rawls is well-loved for this powerful 1961 classic and the award-winning novel Summer of the Monkeys. In Where the Red Fern Grows, Billy and his precious coonhound pups romp relentlessly through the Ozarks, trying to "tree" the elusive raccoon. In time, the inseparable trio wins the coveted gold cup in the annual coon-hunt contest, captures the wily ghost coon, and bravely fights with a mountain lion. When the victory over the mountain lion turns to tragedy, Billy grieves, but learns the beautiful old Native American legend of the sacred red fern that grows over the graves of his dogs. This unforgettable classic belongs on every child's bookshelf. (Ages 9 and up)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

A young boy living in the Ozarks achieves his heart's desire when he becomes the owner of two redbone hounds and teaches them to be champion hunters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,900,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible