Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Where the Red Fern Grows (original 1961; edition 1984)

by Wilson Rawls

Info:Bantam Books (1984), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 249 pages
Collections:Non Fiction, Chapter Books
Rating:*****
Tags:Dog, Love, Friends

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (Author) (1961)

adventure (97) animals (143) chapter book (43) children (72) children's (143) children's fiction (47) children's literature (73) classic (158) classics (98) coming of age (62) death (59) dogs (304) family (27) fiction (572) friendship (53) historical fiction (65) hunting (117) juvenile (31) juvenile fiction (31) literature (50) novel (54) own (38) Ozarks (56) pets (29) read (95) realistic fiction (49) sad (30) to-read (30) YA (74) young adult (163)

English (155)  Dutch (1)  All languages (156)
I read this one out loud to Rex and Scot. We all loved it. I can't believe I had never read it before! ( )
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |
This is the saddest book I have ever been tortured with reading. I don't even like dogs and it made me cry. I hate this book. ( )
  krishnahappy | Mar 27, 2014 |
A very emotional classic
  Phiyenv | Jan 27, 2014 |
Another boy-and-his-dogs classic, but was a landmark in my childhood. It was recommended to me by my sister, and now i'm passing that torch to anyone with a god damn heart. I may be looking through nostalgia glasses, but the story had amazing pacing, and surprising amounts of suspense and stress. And if you aren't phased by the ending, you should shut off your computer and re-think your life. Amazing book, amazing story, amazing writing.
  Colin97 | Jan 23, 2014 |

Rawls, WilsonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGinnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wonderful wife
without whose help this book
would not have been
written.
When I left my office that beautiful spring day, I had no idea what was in store for me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440412676, Paperback)

Author Wilson Rawls spent his boyhood much like the character of this book, Billy Colman, roaming the Ozarks of northeastern Oklahoma with his bluetick hound. A straightforward, shoot-from-the-hip storyteller with a searingly honest voice, Rawls is well-loved for this powerful 1961 classic and the award-winning novel Summer of the Monkeys. In Where the Red Fern Grows, Billy and his precious coonhound pups romp relentlessly through the Ozarks, trying to "tree" the elusive raccoon. In time, the inseparable trio wins the coveted gold cup in the annual coon-hunt contest, captures the wily ghost coon, and bravely fights with a mountain lion. When the victory over the mountain lion turns to tragedy, Billy grieves, but learns the beautiful old Native American legend of the sacred red fern that grows over the graves of his dogs. This unforgettable classic belongs on every child's bookshelf. (Ages 9 and up)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:24 -0400)

A young boy living in the Ozarks achieves his heart's desire when he becomes the owner of two redbone hounds and teaches them to be champion hunters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible