Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Where the Red Fern Grows (original 1961; edition 1984)

by Wilson Rawls

Info:Bantam Books (1984), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 249 pages
Collections:Non Fiction, Chapter Books
Rating:*****
Tags:Dog, Love, Friends

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (1961)

English (190)  Dutch (1)  English (191)
This was one of the first books that I reread over and over again. As an obsessive dog lover, this was a really wonderful book that shaped me as a reader. I love this book and everything about it. It is sad, but it is also such a piece of americana. ( )
  ceciliachard | Nov 7, 2016 |
One of my favorite books, I would definitely recommend. You truly fall in love with the characters, from beginning to end. Always guaranteed to make you shed a tear! ( )
  Annabelleurb | Oct 7, 2016 |
I read this as a kid and decided to pick it up again.Great story of a boy and his dogs! I cried my eyes out! ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
GR: X
GL: 6.4
DRA: 60
Lexile: 700L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 3, 2016 |
Beautifully written. Almost makes me sympathetic to the pov. But not, because the pov is, imo, horrid. Hunting is all, even to a little kid who hunts opossums and frogs. No mention is made of eating all those coons - all that matters is the act of outwitting them and their hides. Cutting down a grandfather sycamore and killing the last mountain lion are seen as accomplishments. The mountain lion is seen as 'evil.' The womanfolks are seen as childish and trivial. And it's God's will that the dogs die. I read this as a child and didn't remember it much, so decided to reread it. Glad I did, so now I can perhaps save you the trouble of catching up on this so-called classic. If you object to The Biggest Bear by Lynd Ward you def. don't want to read this. If you do like this, you'll probably love that. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Rawls, Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGinnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wonderful wife
without whose help this book
would not have been
written.
When I left my office that beautiful spring day, I had no idea what was in store for me.
This is the original book by Wilson Rawls; please do not combine with any film adaptation.

ISBN 0821919873 is not a dvd.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440412676, Paperback)

Author Wilson Rawls spent his boyhood much like the character of this book, Billy Colman, roaming the Ozarks of northeastern Oklahoma with his bluetick hound. A straightforward, shoot-from-the-hip storyteller with a searingly honest voice, Rawls is well-loved for this powerful 1961 classic and the award-winning novel Summer of the Monkeys. In Where the Red Fern Grows, Billy and his precious coonhound pups romp relentlessly through the Ozarks, trying to "tree" the elusive raccoon. In time, the inseparable trio wins the coveted gold cup in the annual coon-hunt contest, captures the wily ghost coon, and bravely fights with a mountain lion. When the victory over the mountain lion turns to tragedy, Billy grieves, but learns the beautiful old Native American legend of the sacred red fern that grows over the graves of his dogs. This unforgettable classic belongs on every child's bookshelf. (Ages 9 and up)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

A young boy living in the Ozarks achieves his heart's desire when he becomes the owner of two redbone hounds and teaches them to be champion hunters.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,659,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible