Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Where the Red Fern Grows (original 1961; edition 1984)

by Wilson Rawls

Member:gjchauvin504
Title:Where the Red Fern Grows
Authors:Wilson Rawls
Info:Bantam Books (1984), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 249 pages
Collections:Non Fiction, Chapter Books
Rating:*****
Tags:Dog, Love, Friends

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (1961)

English (163)  Dutch (1)  All languages (164)
This was the first book that absolutely destroyed me emotionally. Well-written and poignant. ( )
  Chillbro | Dec 16, 2014 |
An absolute classic book. Students are drawn to this generation after generation because the bond between old dan and little ann and billy transcends the years. Anyone who has ever had any type of relationship can see themselves in this relationship. ( )
  Andymcclellan_93 | Dec 3, 2014 |
I read this book for the first time back in 5th grade. I remember reading it and being so intrigued. It was one of the first books that I had honestly read the whole way through for school, as many others before seemed quite boring.
One thing I loved about this book was the perspective in which it was told. The story starts off as Billy Coleman sees a Redbone Coonhound in a fight in which it gets wounded. He treats its wounds and sets it free, knowing it will find its way home. This event recalls a story from his past where he owned two Coonhounds, and the flashback begins. This method used by the author is incredibly intriguing and interesting. The author gets the reader hooked at the very beginning, only to leave them a great cliffhanger as the flashback begins. Billy recalls a story from when he was a young boy. The author does a great job showing the different viewpoints of Billy as an adult and Billy as a child, and it's very believable how his judgment and perspective has changed as he aged. He is the main character of this story, and a very developed character he is.
Another thing I liked about this was the story title, Where The Red Fern Grows. While I was reading, I constantly asked myself "What does the title have to do with this story?" I think that is one of the reasons I continued to read, because I had to figure out the connection. The connection came at the very end, when Billy visits the graves of Little Ann and Old Dan (his dogs). A red fern is growing on the grave of his dogs. "Only an angel can plant one of those", says Billy's father. The story ends in such a tragic, yet heartwarming way. You feel so heartbroken for the loss of the dogs, yet a simple red fern growing on a grave makes it all okay. The emotion expressed in this book is simply incredible.
This story is a heart-warming story for young readers. Readers (especially dog owners) create a real connection between the main character Billie. I feel the author simply wanted to write an inspiring story to show that not all tragic stories can't have a happy ending. ( )
  Andrewturner | Nov 19, 2014 |
(6.4)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
The book was about a boy name Billy who gathers enough money to buy two hunting dogs,which he names Old Dan and Little Ann. Billy goes on many adventures with the two dogs grows a very strong bond with them throughout the book. On key event that takes place is the death of Ruben Pritchard, when he attacks Old Dan and Little Ann during a scuffle. Another key event that happens is when Little ann is entered in a beauty contest and she wins. Towards the end of the book, a very shocking event occurs and Billy sees a change in his life.
  astinchavez | Sep 4, 2014 |

Rawls, Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGinnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wonderful wife
without whose help this book
would not have been
written.
When I left my office that beautiful spring day, I had no idea what was in store for me.
This is the original book by Wilson Rawls; please do not combine with any film adaptation.

ISBN 0821919873 is not a dvd.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440412676, Paperback)

Author Wilson Rawls spent his boyhood much like the character of this book, Billy Colman, roaming the Ozarks of northeastern Oklahoma with his bluetick hound. A straightforward, shoot-from-the-hip storyteller with a searingly honest voice, Rawls is well-loved for this powerful 1961 classic and the award-winning novel Summer of the Monkeys. In Where the Red Fern Grows, Billy and his precious coonhound pups romp relentlessly through the Ozarks, trying to "tree" the elusive raccoon. In time, the inseparable trio wins the coveted gold cup in the annual coon-hunt contest, captures the wily ghost coon, and bravely fights with a mountain lion. When the victory over the mountain lion turns to tragedy, Billy grieves, but learns the beautiful old Native American legend of the sacred red fern that grows over the graves of his dogs. This unforgettable classic belongs on every child's bookshelf. (Ages 9 and up)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:24 -0400)

A young boy living in the Ozarks achieves his heart's desire when he becomes the owner of two redbone hounds and teaches them to be champion hunters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,385,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible