The Voyage: A Novel by Philip Caputo

The Voyage: A Novel (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Philip Caputo

Member:krin5292
Title:The Voyage: A Novel
Authors:Philip Caputo
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, PS3553

The Voyage by Philip Caputo (1999)

I love Caputo's writing style and found this book fascinating in spite of the fact that I know absolutely nothing about sailing. All the sailing terms left me pretty confused at times. In spite of that, I enjoyed reading the book and loved the final chapters. Unlike several other reviewers who were able to pick up clues as to why the boys were sent to sea, I didn't know until the ending so I liked the final chapter. Family histories can be very complicated and we are indeed always the products of our family histories whether we like them or not. ( )
  maryreinert | Aug 17, 2013 |
This is a very good book about adventure and family. I especially liked the brothers learning to work together in the storms. ( )
  krin5292 | Jan 30, 2013 |
I think I'd rather be reading Ruth Moore. ( )
  buckee | Dec 8, 2011 |
I really love this book. Turn of the century story. Boys go on a boat trip around the world. Action and adventure ensue. ( )
  ktp50 | Dec 1, 2011 |
It well may be Philip Caputo has just become my favorite author! The Voyage was an absolutely wonderful read. Although it takes some discipline to wade through the final sequence, it was more than worth it. This is only the second novel of his I have read and I am amazed how different they were - although both five-star excellent! Wonderful writing, characters and attention to detail. ( )
1 vote repb | Jul 27, 2010 |
For John Peyton Ware. Born June 20, 1921. Crossed the bar, March 30, 1999.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679768394, Paperback)

The title voyage of Philip Caputo's sweeping new novel commences under exceedingly strange circumstances: in June 1900, Cyrus Braithwaite, a gruff Yankee granite magnate, orders his three teenage sons to board the family's beloved schooner, sail away from their imposing Maine summer home, and stay away until September. His sole explanation for this sudden expulsion: "It's a new century, boys." Puzzled, abashed, but also intrigued by the adventure forced upon them, Nathaniel, Eliot, and Andrew leave behind their privileged WASP childhood and head out to sea--bound, they decide more or less on a whim, for the Florida keys.

Adventures are slow to shape themselves at first, but once the Braithwaite boys enlist the help of blond, worldly wise Yale dropout Will Terhune, the pace quickens considerably. Nat, who serves as skipper, and is also the most naive and most ambitious of the brothers, nearly dies in a bar fight in lower Manhattan. Fourteen-year-old Drew, the seasick-prone family rationalist, discovers a penchant for cold-blooded violence. Caught in a blow off the Carolinas, the boys limp the damaged schooner into Beaufort, South Carolina, their mother's birthplace, where an ancient aunt invites them to dinner and hints darkly at family secrets. Then, about two-thirds of the way in, what has seemed a leisurely coming-of-age story explodes into an elemental drama as a hurricane swallows the boat and spits it out on the desolate coast of Cuba. This, as it turns out, is but the first in a series of terrible reversals.

The Voyage is a departure for Caputo, a former foreign correspondent who made his name with a Vietnam memoir (A Rumor of War), and he does a fine job of conjuring up an age "when both the awareness of death and the hope of salvation were writ on every face." True, his framing device of a present-day Braithwaite descendant delving into her family's secret history is a bit forced and yes, the characters could use more depth. No matter. At some point, The Voyage becomes irresistible. --David Laskin

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:31 -0400)

At the turn of the century, a Maine fisherman sends his three sons to sea in June, with orders not to return before September. A woman descendant of the family recounts the boys' adventure in their schooner-- storms, shipwreck, murder--as well as the father's motive and the mystery of the mother's absence.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,376,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible