V for Vendetta [movie novelization] by Steve…

V for Vendetta [movie novelization]

by Steve Moore

The Hunger Games / Catching Fire / Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (AFHeart)
    AFHeart: Dystopian and similar indictment on our times, only in a streamlined vernacular for young adults. Does not go lite on the violence even with the YA target audience.

This is the audio version of the original V for Vendetta graphic novel by David Lloyd, later a film by the Wachowski brothers. Film-goers will find this novelization by Steve Moore follows the film very closely, relying on the graphic novel for additional details. If you haven't seen the film, you'll find yourself continually surprised (Lewis Prothero's doll collection is missing, Evey does not attempt to become a prostitute, she does not have a relationship in mid-story, most of the other state actor ("Eye", "Ear", "Finger") spousal relationships are omitted) but it retains the fast pacing of the film.

I enjoyed this version as a slightly richer retelling than the film was able to accomplish. The narrator puts you inside both Evey and V's heads much more than the film could. The story line also draws from the graphic novel that started the whole concept, so you understand the Chancellor's attachment to technology and the central computer (known as Fate in the graphic novel), for example, in ways that aren't evident in the film. Similarly, the attachment between the Nose (Finch) and Delia Surrage is more clearly explained.

[Overdrive.com distribution of this audio book on and Android phone in mp3 format] ( )
  davidpwhelan | Dec 18, 2010 |
One of the few books I did not get the opportunity to read before the movie came out, I was so excited to read this book! I waited anxiously for it to come in the mail.

When I started reading, I instantly found myself playing pieces from the movie in my head (one of the reasons I generally tend to avoid movies based on books), yet I pushed on. Then, oh then, surprise! There is so much more to this story than the movie shows us! I loved meeting the characters who played a part in the way that V behaves. I loved learning more and more about who he was behind that perpetually smiling mask.

V for Vendetta is one of those books that makes you think about your life. After I read this, I again felt the same thing I felt after I saw the movie. I wanted to act! I wanted to protest something...anything! If a book can make me feel that way, I am sold!

I truly loved this book! It yet again proves to me why books are so much better than their movie counterparts. ( )
  roses7184 | May 15, 2010 |
If you loved the movie, you'll like the book. It's the movie's script written out as a book, hence "a novelization." This was the first movie novelization I've ever read, and I didn't realize was that meant. Now I know, and they're good because it slows down the events and reveals the thinking of the characters.

With V for Vendetta, we are confronted with the idea of how oppressive governments come in to power. V tells the citizens in his broadcast that if they are looking for someone to blame, they needn't look any farther than the mirror. These powers never grab the reins without the complicency of the public. But V for Vendetta isn't just a poitical fiction, it is also a "love" story between Evey and V: Beginning as the damsel in distress and valient knight, then as captive and captor, and ending as disciple and teacher. It is the story of sacrifce for one's beliefs and the beginning of a movement. I enjoyed the book, and came away with a new favorite breakfast dish, "eggs in a basket," YUM! ( )
  thekoolaidmom | Mar 19, 2008 |
This book is actually very good. It is great to have V as a point of view character at times, such as when he sees the unconscious Evey in Jordan Towers, or confronting Creedy underground.. This may well be one of the best 'tie-in' efforts ever produced.

Some of the political and other history related to countries other than England is given more detail in the novel.

http://superprose.blogspot.com/2006/10/v-for-vendetta.html ( )
  bluetyson | Oct 16, 2006 |
Remember, remember,
The Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and plot.
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.
A strange, shadowy room, somewhere deep beneath the streets of London.
Please do NOT combine the novelization of the movie V for Vendetta with the graphic novel V for Vendetta, written by Alan Moore, illustrated by David Lloyd.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786170778, Audio CD)

Imagine a Britain stripped of democracy, a world of the not-too-distant future in which freedom has been surrendered willingly to a totalitarian regime which rose to power by exploiting the people’s worst fears and most damning weaknesses.

This is the setting for the parable of Evey, a young woman saved from death by a masked man calling himself V. Beguiling and dangerous, V ignites the fuse of revolution when he urges his fellow citizens to shed the blanket of tyranny and oppression that they have permitted themselves to be cloaked in. While those in power take steps to neutralize the threat, police pursue the mystery of V, unaware of the terrible truth that awaits them. But it is Evey who, with V as her enigmatic guide, sets out on the painful path of deception and self-discovery, deconstruction and re-creation, vindication and vengeance.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:07 -0400)

In a not-too-distant future, Britain is ruled by a totalitarian regime and Evey, a young woman, is rescued from certain death by a masked vigilante, who launches a one-man crusade against government tyranny and oppression.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,414,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible