Jumped by Rita Williams-Garcia

Title:Jumped
Authors:Rita Williams-Garcia
Info:Amistad (2009), Hardcover, 169 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Tags:higschool, drama, fight, girls, bullying, suspense, teen, differences, fiction

Jumped by Rita Williams-Garcia

Trina: beautiful, bouncy, artistic, thinks of herself as the center of attention; Dominique: tomboy, fixated on playing basketball, bad tempered, extra angry at being benched for low grades; Leticia: daddy's little girl, self-centered, wants to observe, not be involved. Williams-Garcia combines these three personalities in telling about a day in their high school lives from each of their points of view. Angry at being benched, Dominique decides she's going to beat up Trina after school. Clueless to it all, Trina goes through her day. Leticia knows what's going to happen, but debates whether or not she should get involved. Williams-Garcia puts up a convincing case of showing what happens when someone decides not to do the right thing, when someone lets anger control their lives, and when someone is too self-absorbed to notice the world around them. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Three girls: the "bully," the "victim," and the bystander. Three lives, filled with their own stories, stresses, needs, and wants, collide one day in an overcrowded urban high school with the kind of result that makes the news nearly every day. Williams-Garcia nailed this story in 168 pages that makes it a perfect pick for high school girls who are reluctant readers. I think as a group read it could spawn great discussions about responsibility and culpability. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Feb 15, 2014 |
National Book Award Nominee 2009

This book was okay. I found it hard to relate to all three girls. I'm surprised it was nominated for this award. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
The book Jumped is a book focused on bullying. The story intertwines the lives of three previously unrelated girls who barely knew of each other, all in one day. These girls are in high school in a pretty bad area. Crimes are committed every day. On this particular day though, it will be different. On this day, Dominique has come to school early to confront a teacher about a bad grade, to take care of business as usual. Leticia is here due to a failing grade that led to a before school makeup class. And Trina has come to find the perfect spot to put up her prized paintings from art class. To all of them, it is a usual morning. When Dominique is turned down twice to changing her grade, she is on rampage. As she walks down the hall she is just looking for something to hit. Leticia decides this class isn’t worth it and leaves early. Trina finds the place for her paintings and skips off in happiness. Soon, they all meet. Trina bumps into Dominique without realizing it and continues down the hallway, not realizing what she has just done. Dominique declares that she is the one. After school, she is “getting her butt whooped.” Trina has no idea what kind of trouble is coming her way. And Leticia witnesses it all. And now the fate of the day remains up to her. Does she tell Trina to save her from certain defeat? Or does she leave it up to Dominique to take care of her?
This riveting book kept me turning pages as fast as I could, waiting to see what would happen next. I liked the way the author made the girls speak in a way that was realistic for their ethnicity and age. The situations they were put in were very practical for the area also, and I could tell that the author did her research on how to write the book first. I highly recommend it. Although, I wasn’t really a fan of the ending. It seemed to cut off the story awfully fast and I didn’t really like it. There’s no sequel and I had no idea what had happened. Also, the book was very short and not very detailed. It was all crammed into one day, and the words were huge so the pages were very short with little information. Even though there were some problems, I really liked the book and I would read it again. I recommend it to people who like books with drama or relatable high school situations.
  ahsreads | Dec 14, 2012 |
I had trouble when I first started reading the book. I couldn't connect to the voices of the characters.I felt like I was reading a foreign language. and I identified with students that have a hard time when reading books with foreign words, or dialects that they don't know. But as I continued reading the characters came to life for me. I had the interesting experience of meeting Ms. Williams-Garcia and I was fascintated to find out how she created her characters' voices. It completely changed the way I thought about this book. ( )
  asomers | Sep 29, 2011 |

The lives of Leticia, Dominique, and Trina are irrevocably intertwined through the course of one day in an urban high school after Leticia overhears Dominique's plans to beat up Trina and must decide whether or not to get involved.

37 wanted2 pay1 pay

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,490,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible