Omen by Christie Golden

fun. ( )
  MilesVor | Apr 4, 2014 |
Probably one of the better Star Wars books I've ever read, and no surprise, it's written by Christie Golden. Even though I find her writing can be a bit hokey sometimes, I'm generally a fan of hers.

And since this is a Star Wars novel, so I'm not going to come down hard. I have to say this was a good book for what it is, and for the most part I really enjoyed it. We're finally picking up some steam in this series, whereas the first book felt more like an intro.

I'm not going to lie; there were parts in this book where the writing was so bad it made me want to hurl my Kindle across the room, but there were also some great combat scenes and witty dialogue that made up for it. I love how Christie Golden writes the relationship between Luke and Ben, how she conveys their whole father-son dynamic.

The Skywalkers' exile is the part of the story I'm most interested in too, so I'm glad that plot line is moving forward. Unfortunately on the Han and Leia front, things still feel like filler, and I'm really hoping the Solos will get more interesting later. ( )
  stefferoo | Mar 9, 2013 |
A pretty decent sequel to Outcast. The action is great, as is much of the plot. The one major problem with the storyline is the political game going on between the Galactic Alliance and the Jedi Order, the execution of this segment of the plot seems to be at odds with part of that in Outcast, while also being rather poorly thought out. For a group that has, collectively, been fighting both military and political battles for decades, the mistakes and inaction throughout this plot-line is extremely confusing... Leia was better at politics when she was 12 than she and the entirety of the Jedi Order seems to be now, 40 some years down the road.

I want to really like this series, but the lack of thought put into the political background and my frustration on how so many of the great characters, developed over tens of books, can regress to this point, leaves me very disappointed... ( )
  sferguson | Jun 3, 2012 |
For a first-time Star Wars author, Christie Golden has me impressed! This is a nice little action-packed book, and the author took pains to stay true to the characters as well as bring in an amazing amount of continuity—including many well-appreciated nods to the Yuuzhan Vong war. Others have complained about the book's length (236 pages) but it never dragged, and it left me wanting more. Maybe if I'd have had to pay actual hardcover prices, I'd be less than pleased, but the book only cost me a quarter (thanks, SFBC!) ( )
  saltmanz | Jun 10, 2010 |
In truth there are so many Expanded Universe stories out there that originality is a little hard to come by, one galaxy threatening menace after the next, but this arc does manage a bit of a new take, what with our heroes being so much older than in the original films. Overall the story continues the action nicely and whets the appetite for Abyss by Troy Denning, the next installment in the series.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, David Maddox (Oct 1, 2009)

This book is dedicated to my parents,
James R. Golden and Elizabeth C. Golden.
All those afternoons you dropped me off at the movies
when Star Wars was playing have now borne fruit.
Dician felt the planet even before it appeared on the main bridge monitor of the Poison Moon.

As Grand Master Luke investigates his nephew Jacen's strange powers, he leaves the Jedi Order vulnerable to its unstable members and an increasingly anti-Jedi government, a situation that is further complicated by a Sith plot.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,357,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible