The Way Things Work by David Macaulay

The Way Things Work (original 1988; edition 1988)

by David Macaulay

Member:amyandroland
Title:The Way Things Work
Authors:David Macaulay
Info:Houghton Mifflin/Walter Lorraine Books (1988), Hardcover, 384 pages

The Way Things Work by David Macaulay (1988)

This is a well illustrated book about the way that different machines and technologies work. I would use this with older grades, who have a better grasp at reading these types of texts. There are several inventions present in the story and I would have students make their own invention after reading it.
  CamillaBean14 | Sep 11, 2018 |
This book has many different contraptions built in the past, that explain all sorts of inventions and why they work, whether it is from physics or the parts installed into it.
This book I would not recommend using it as a class book, I would allow students to look at it on their own time and maybe even use it for projects. There are many words and complicated ideas in the book, so I would not recommend it for any struggling readers, and deffinitly not for any low grades. I do like the idea of using it at science time for a quick 5 minute lesson on an invention. ( )
  Josh17 | Sep 3, 2018 |
Well-drawn descriptions of how the things we use without thinking are made. From elevators to nuclear fusion to thermostats to pulleys to paper making to printing to telescopes to televisions: the basics are here. An essential reference book. It's time for a sequel. ( )
  deckla | May 29, 2018 |
Fantastic diagrams and other art detailing how things work, and are put together, and explanations you didn't know you needed to know. I love learning how things work, and this book has some great insights. ( )
  Pepperwings | Jun 17, 2017 |
Provides a visual guide to machines, from levers and pulleys to lawn sprinklers. Macaulay uses a humorous woolly mammoth to engage the reader and illustrate principles, providing continuity through the book. Through his illustrations, Macaulay demystifies how machines work.
  tina_w | Jul 20, 2016 |
...Finally, my thanks go to my wife, Ruth, who has alternately encouraged and tolerated this project and all its demands.  To her, with love, this book is dedicated.
Introduction:  To any machine, work is a matter of principle, because everything a machine does is in accordance with a set of principles or scientific laws.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395428572, Hardcover)

David Macaulay has made it his business to demystify science and technology for children (and certainly one or two surreptitious adults) with his worldwide bestseller, The New Way Things Work. Packed with information on the inner workings of everything from the World Wide Web to windmills, the remarkable and humorous book guides readers through the fundamental principles of machines. And now Macaulay and his trusty mammoth sidekick are back, ready to make science even more fun and comprehensible. The Way Things Work Kit is a hands-on, fully interactive kit, equipped with everything needed to perform over 50 activities, including the construction of 12 working models. A handy cardboard carrying case opens to reveal a guidebook, a CD-ROM with instructions on how to build your own pinball games, activity cards, and more than 100 basic components that fit together to make models from a balloon-powered car to a robot arm to a fairground ride. Children will be absorbed for hours as they learn about levers and hydraulics, winches and friction, inertia and pneumatics. Future engineers--not to mention just regular humans--couldn't have a better introduction to the way things work. (Ages 8 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:26 -0400)

Text and numerous detailed illustrations introduce and explain the scientific principles and workings of hundreds of machines including a lawn sprinkler, pneumatic drill, electric guitar, and a smoke detector.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,980,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible