Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar

English (68)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (69)
i found this book on ibooks and it looked like it was pretty popular so i thought why not try it out. as soon as i started reading i couldn't stop, i finished in two days and later moved on to the second book. the book is a lot different from the TV series (which i have finished) but i also think the books are lot better.

i really recommend this book, the characters are like real people and once you learn about them, you want to keep reading about them. Their is soon bad things in the book, but thats not what the books about it's about growing up, they learn lessons that you can learn from. The charters could be your friends, there just like you and me and everyone can relate on a lot of different levels.

I also like how the writer kind of dumbs it down for her audience, wich is teenage girls and gives us things we can learn from. the book also keeps you guessing ''who's the gossip girl" and the writing obviously knows a alot is she the gossip girl? ( )
  haileypowell | Oct 3, 2014 |
I always heard of the series. I was never interested in reading it. Recently I thought I would try reading the first book to see if I would like it. I borrowed it from the library. It was a good book! I can see why gossip girl is popular. I think teens 17 and older should read it. I thought this book wouldn't be my type cause I hate gossip. I wanted to read something different. I was halfway into the book and wanted to see the show. So far I saw the first three episodes. The show is really good! I had no idea I would like it. Anyway this book is good and is worth checking out. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
I suppose it was alright, I read this since I was pretty fond of the It Girl books and thought logicically, well these were the original so they must be better, right? wrong. The characters really need to pull their heads out of their own asses and get a grip on reality. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
I actually watched the show before reading this and I was really disappointed. I sympathize with TV show Blair, TV show Chuck, and even TV show Serena. I wanted to smack all three of them in the book. The characters in the book as sooooo vapid. At least the TV show characters had thoughts in their heads. The only thoughts in the book characters' heads include and ONLY include shopping, partying, drinking, keeping their boyfriend, and staying as Queen Bee. And, this is the girl who wants to get into Yale. We get paragraphs and paragraphs of von Ziegesar describing their clothes. And, I'm sure no one has gone to party where they have designer bags as party favors. At least no one I know. The annoying part was that the characters all acted as if their lives were falling apart if they couldn't find the perfect dress or lost their Queen Bee status. Blair makes herself throw up because she feels that her best friend is prettier and is going to steal her boyfriend, and spreads obnoxious rumors about her. I think part of what makes Serena's character so sympathetic in the show, is that her younger brother was suicidal and she has to deal with her self-obsessed mom who insists on pretending he's vising aunt Carol in Miami instead of in a rehab center. She takes the public bullet for him, pretending she was the one who spent time in rehab when a rumor goes around. And the book Chuck is just dark and depressed and sleeping around because he can, not because he has a reason like in the show. And, of course, the stereotypes. Serena is a bubbly, blonde Barbie whom every guy has a crush on. Vanessa is a film maker that shaves her head and wears black. Dan is a poet with an unrequited crush, on Serena. Unfortunately, this was a 200 page book filled with pretty much nothing.
1 vote live2sk8 | Apr 10, 2013 |
"Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality." Oscar Wilde
Ever wonder what the lives of the chosen ones are really like?
"Welcome to New York City's Upper East Side, where my friends and I live and go to school and play and sleep- sometimes with each other. We all live in huge apartments with our own bedrooms and bathrooms and phone lines. We have unlimited access to money and booze and whatever else we want, and our parents are rarely home, so we have tons of privacy. We're smart, we've inherited classic good looks, we wear fantastic clothes, and we know how to party."
p. 3

We're smart, we've inherited classic good looks, and we know how to party. It's a luxe life, but someone's got to live it.

This is the world of Gossip Girl - inhabited by the city's most glamorous people and filled with spicy gossip, jealousy, betrayal and Jimmy Choo shoes.

...S is back from boarding school. Her hair is longer, paler. Her blue eyes have that deep mysteriousness of kept secrets... If we aren't careful, S is going to win over our teachers, wear that dress we couldn't fit into, eat the last olive. spill Campari on our rugs, steal our brothers' and boyfriends' hearts, and basically ruin our lives in a major way.

I'll be watching closely. I'll be watching all of us. It's going to be a wild and wicked year. I can smell it.

Love,
gossip girl.

Welcome to New York City's Upper East Side, where my friends and I live, go to school, play, and sleep--sometimes with each other.

S is back from boarding school, and if we aren't careful, she's going to win over our teachers, wear that dress we couldn't fit into, steal our boyfriends' hearts, and basically ruin our lives in a major way. I'll be watching closely...

You know you love me,
gossip girl

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:48 -0400)

Presents a world of jealousy and betrayal at an exclusive private school in Manhattan.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,354,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible