Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar
1,830None3,791 (3.1)59

English (64)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (65)
I actually watched the show before reading this and I was really disappointed. I sympathize with TV show Blair, TV show Chuck, and even TV show Serena. I wanted to smack all three of them in the book. The characters in the book as sooooo vapid. At least the TV show characters had thoughts in their heads. The only thoughts in the book characters' heads include and ONLY include shopping, partying, drinking, keeping their boyfriend, and staying as Queen Bee. And, this is the girl who wants to get into Yale. We get paragraphs and paragraphs of von Ziegesar describing their clothes. And, I'm sure no one has gone to party where they have designer bags as party favors. At least no one I know. The annoying part was that the characters all acted as if their lives were falling apart if they couldn't find the perfect dress or lost their Queen Bee status. Blair makes herself throw up because she feels that her best friend is prettier and is going to steal her boyfriend, and spreads obnoxious rumors about her. I think part of what makes Serena's character so sympathetic in the show, is that her younger brother was suicidal and she has to deal with her self-obsessed mom who insists on pretending he's vising aunt Carol in Miami instead of in a rehab center. She takes the public bullet for him, pretending she was the one who spent time in rehab when a rumor goes around. And the book Chuck is just dark and depressed and sleeping around because he can, not because he has a reason like in the show. And, of course, the stereotypes. Serena is a bubbly, blonde Barbie whom every guy has a crush on. Vanessa is a film maker that shaves her head and wears black. Dan is a poet with an unrequited crush, on Serena. Unfortunately, this was a 200 page book filled with pretty much nothing.
1 vote live2sk8 | Apr 10, 2013 |
The Book on its own: The book reads very fast. The topic is - obviously - very drama filled and catty. However, it is funny and you really do feel like you are getting an insider's look at the life of rich youth running around New York. At its heart, the book is about high school cliques and the awkwardness and potentially-traumatizing period of growing up, but just from the point of view of a very upper class.

In regards to teens reading it, I think they'll find a life they secretly yearn for. Luckily for this book, there are interesting and different types of people, which makes it better for young adults in my opinion because it shows even if you are very wealthy you still have cliques and bullying, etc. Some are the situations are adult, so I wouldn't say it's great for really young adults, but for older teens it will really work well.

Compared to the series: I have only watched a bit of the series, but I think the series is more amusing and has developed the characters to be more lovable. The characters in the book are very strongly written and hard to fall in love with, but on the show you find yourself loving them all. I think the books might be more true to life (purging, cattiness, etc.), but in terms of entertainment, I do prefer the series. ( )
  leftik | Apr 3, 2013 |
I was pleasently surprised by this one. I just read it out of curiosity, but ended up quite enjoying it. It was definitely a fun, light distraction after a long day. The characters are all superficial and egotistical, but somewhat addictive. It wasn't great but it was all right ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Illustrated Review:
Obviously this is good for someone; it sold a bazillion copies and had a ton of sequels and a television show (still on the air). But I … Continue reading → ( )
  bibliovermis | Oct 9, 2012 |
It reads like a TV show. There's not really an arc of story, it just feels like an episode in series. Trashy but has the same kind of appeal as gossip itself. The writing is funny--kind of sarcastic and self-aware. ( )
1 vote EuronerdLibrarian | May 8, 2012 |
"Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality." Oscar Wilde
Ever wonder what the lives of the chosen ones are really like?
"Welcome to New York City's Upper East Side, where my friends and I live and go to school and play and sleep- sometimes with each other. We all live in huge apartments with our own bedrooms and bathrooms and phone lines. We have unlimited access to money and booze and whatever else we want, and our parents are rarely home, so we have tons of privacy. We're smart, we've inherited classic good looks, we wear fantastic clothes, and we know how to party."
p. 3

We're smart, we've inherited classic good looks, and we know how to party. It's a luxe life, but someone's got to live it.

This is the world of Gossip Girl - inhabited by the city's most glamorous people and filled with spicy gossip, jealousy, betrayal and Jimmy Choo shoes.

...S is back from boarding school. Her hair is longer, paler. Her blue eyes have that deep mysteriousness of kept secrets... If we aren't careful, S is going to win over our teachers, wear that dress we couldn't fit into, eat the last olive. spill Campari on our rugs, steal our brothers' and boyfriends' hearts, and basically ruin our lives in a major way.

I'll be watching closely. I'll be watching all of us. It's going to be a wild and wicked year. I can smell it.

Love,
gossip girl.

Welcome to New York City's Upper East Side, where my friends and I live, go to school, play, and sleep--sometimes with each other.

S is back from boarding school, and if we aren't careful, she's going to win over our teachers, wear that dress we couldn't fit into, steal our boyfriends' hearts, and basically ruin our lives in a major way. I'll be watching closely...

You know you love me,
gossip girl

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:48 -0400)

Presents a world of jealousy and betrayal at an exclusive private school in Manhattan.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible