Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar

English (75)  Portuguese (1)  English (76)
Please note that I know I should not judge this book against the TV series, but as GG has been one of my most loved shows for years I can't help it.
I know that the show was developed off of these books, but I watched the TV series first and fell in love with those characters, so this book was a bit of a shock to my system!

I have wanted to read this book series for ages!
As I said above I absolutely love the TV series and the characters in the TV series.

I however have developed a love / hate relationship with this book and the characters.
I really want to like the book because the TV show is so good, it has literally ruined this book series for me. Why does Vanessa have a shaved head?!!
Also I honestly can not get past how horrible the characters are! They have pretty much no redeeming qualities at all. And seriously Dan needs to lighten The f*** up!!
They could possibly mature and develop some sort of conscience, maybe a backbone for Nate, over the series of this book. And I know that I am going to end up reading this whole series because I am, unfortunately, emotionally invested in these characters and seeing how their life's turn out. I seriously hope (fingers and toes crossed) that Chuck still turns into the Chuck we all adore at the end of the TVseries, I have my doubts though. ( )
  onebookishgirl | Jul 19, 2016 |
I've been so burned by "literary" books lately that I'm reading some real pablum, because hey, at least it lives up (or down?) to expectations.

Gossip Girl is eerily reminiscent of Pretty Little Liars. I honestly don't know which came first, and I don't care enough to look it up. The point is, if you like PLL, you'll like GG, and if you hate PLL, I can't imagine you liking GG. They're two privileged, gossipy high-school peas in a pod.

It may be due mostly to primacy bias (by which I mean, because I read it first), but I give PLL the slight edge. As you may recall from my reviews, the PLL books each ended on a fairly dramatic cliffhanger that sent me scrambling for the next book in the series. Also, there was only one character referred to by an initial, the mysterious and threatening "A". In GG, annoyingly, the little gossip columns scattered throughout refer to everyone within initials: "D and J might hook up! But B might have something to say about that, unless N gets there first! I and K are totally getting fat, and I think J has a crush on S!" You get the picture -- and it's a pretty annoying picture. Fortunately I think the gossip columns are pretty easily skimmed and otherwise ignored -- I don't much care about the identity of GG. As a mysterious figure she just can't hold a candle to A.

One thing that really bothers me: the gigantic closeup of some part of Serena's body that is everywhere as "art", but no one seems to know what it is. Her eye? Her belly button? Her pursed lips? I am really deeply afraid that it's something unmentionable, because why else all the secrecy? Ick!

For commitment-phobes, though, this is a very quick and easy read. I began and finished it during a nice long soak in the tub -- maybe an hour and a half, if that long. It might get you through a doctor's appointment, but don't take it to the beach unless you have room in your tote bag for the next two books in the series as well. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
A group of moneyed, private school teens on Manhattan's Upper East Side have been friends for years. Their lives revolve around parties, charity events, sex, and drinking. Currently shaking up the new school year is the return of Serena who's been kicked out of boarding school. The gossip whirls about her and her supposed drug and sex escapades. Blair resents Serena's return. Nate, Blair's boyfriend, pines for Serena, as do Dan and his younger sister Jenny. Outsider Vanessa pines for Dan. Tying the pieces together is the unseen narrator, the gossip girl. The ending is a little pat: Blair and Serena part ways, Nate and Blair reaffirm their relationship and Serena ends up with Dan, not a rich kid.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book is obviously not a literary masterpiece. It's pure entertainment, perfect for a day at the beach. "Gossip Girl" is very easy to read (I was finished in an hour or two)and gives an interesting look into the life of upper-class teenagers in New York City. For those looking for an easy, MTV-style read, I would recommend "Gossip Girl". ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Jan 26, 2016 |
I read most of this one and books 2-4 one right after another while sipping piña coladas on the beach, so they all blur together. I think this one was my least favorite, but maybe just because it took a while to get to know the characters. I don't think these are well written, and there's a lot of repetition from book to book (I assume that is for people who either don't read, or forget, the ones before it in the series). But, the books are quick to read and a lot of fun. I may not like most of the characters as people, but they are well-constructed and interesting. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  melaniefaith | Dec 2, 2015 |
"Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality." Oscar Wilde
Ever wonder what the lives of the chosen ones are really like?
"Welcome to New York City's Upper East Side, where my friends and I live and go to school and play and sleep- sometimes with each other. We all live in huge apartments with our own bedrooms and bathrooms and phone lines. We have unlimited access to money and booze and whatever else we want, and our parents are rarely home, so we have tons of privacy. We're smart, we've inherited classic good looks, we wear fantastic clothes, and we know how to party."
p. 3

We're smart, we've inherited classic good looks, and we know how to party. It's a luxe life, but someone's got to live it.

This is the world of Gossip Girl - inhabited by the city's most glamorous people and filled with spicy gossip, jealousy, betrayal and Jimmy Choo shoes.

...S is back from boarding school. Her hair is longer, paler. Her blue eyes have that deep mysteriousness of kept secrets... If we aren't careful, S is going to win over our teachers, wear that dress we couldn't fit into, eat the last olive. spill Campari on our rugs, steal our brothers' and boyfriends' hearts, and basically ruin our lives in a major way.

I'll be watching closely. I'll be watching all of us. It's going to be a wild and wicked year. I can smell it.

Love,
gossip girl.

Welcome to New York City's Upper East Side, where my friends and I live, go to school, play, and sleep--sometimes with each other.

S is back from boarding school, and if we aren't careful, she's going to win over our teachers, wear that dress we couldn't fit into, steal our boyfriends' hearts, and basically ruin our lives in a major way. I'll be watching closely...

You know you love me,
gossip girl

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:52 -0400)

Presents a world of jealousy and betrayal at an exclusive private school in Manhattan.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,628,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible