Because Im Worth It 4 (Gossip Girl) by…

Because Im Worth It 4 (Gossip Girl) (edition 2004)

by Cecily Von Ziegesar

Title:Because Im Worth It 4 (Gossip Girl)
Authors:Cecily Von Ziegesar
Info:Bloomsbury Childrens Books (2004), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar

English (71)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (72)
DISCLAIMER: I am not the age group this book is geared towards. I have not seen the TV series (although curiosity about made me put this book in he TBR pile).

That said, I am not following the trend of other reviewers that rate a 5 if they are under 20 and a 1 if an old fogey passing moral judgments. I am almost 50 but even in my day teenagers sought the next party, did not police their friends actions, knew where to get drugs/alcholol whether or not they indulged and never thought about consequences so no judgment on that (although I would warn a parent before they let their kids read this series that there is a lot of underage sex, drinking, drugs and sexual assault with some bulleimia (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) thrown in for atmosphere).

The 1 star I am giving this book is because I did not like the writing. I felt it was poorly-edited, choppy, uneven (even if shooting for a blog style or gossip column style of thing) and never brought the characters or story to life where I could connect to either. The story and characters were run of the mill cardboard cutouts I have read in dozens of other books so I was pretty bored. Throw in endless bad behavior, parties, brand name dropping ... nothing ever got interesting. And no character ever got remotely interesting or likable. And while the age group is very accepting of almost anything their friends are doing, the unwanted sexual advances stuff that got accepted as "oh that's just the way he is" did really challenge my determination to not be judgmental. Not what I want to read about; thank you very much -- and I will read and enjoy almost anything if you give me characters, worlds or plots to get into. On the plus side, did not spend entire book in the halls of their high schools dripping with teenage angst and avoided the I-don't-know-love-triangles a lot of YA fiction devolves into.

The brand names were very dated for time book was written and read more like cadged from People magazine, Sex and The City or a resort mall walk through. None of these chic New Yorkers shopped little boutiques, had coutere items from overseas design houses, or any of status symbol items you are likely to have to get on a waiting list and have the clout or funds to bribe purveyors to get. And more likely popular with the moms-who-lunched crowd than these purported teenagers. So just boring brand name repetition you can get in any grocery store magazine selection or hundreds of chick lit reads. Even the explanation of parents allowing teens to drink, sex, and do drugs practically in front of them as safer at home than not being a quasi-European tradition did not wash (Eurotrash fallout I guess) for someone who has lived in Europe. In Europe, admittedly, drinking ages mostly lower and wine or weak ales, watered down appropriately for ages and body weights of children at table, were served with food--the only tradition I saw that might make author put that explanation in. But chugging back scotch after scotch? And teens, not bartenders or parents, pouring for themselves and friends?

What was the plot of this thing anyway? ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
I hate read this and live blogged it knowing it would be bad. I didn't know it's be totally boring as well. All the things that I love about the show are not in the books. The show was a success because it changed so much of the book and I am much more thankful for the show now that I know what it COULD have been had it stayed with the book.

Of course, I'm probably going to end up reading the rest of the series because they don't take long to read and hate reading fuels my life.

You know you love me,
xoxo The Show Is Much Better Gossip Girl ( )
  beearedee | Feb 14, 2015 |
The novel Gossip Girl is about these high schoolers Serena, Blair, Chuck , Nathan, Dan and Jenny. They all live in the Upper East Side Manhattan and are very rich. Besides Dan and Jenny Humphrey they live in Brooklyn. In this book it starts off with Serena coming back from boarding school and her old best friend Blair is mad and jealous because Blair finally had the private school Constance to her self. So, throughout the book Serena and Blair are in this argument. Serena then meets Dan from this play that Vanessa Abrams is directing. Dan has always had a crush on Serena but he was always scared to talk to her because he is from “dirty poor Brooklyn” and she is from the Upper East Side. By the end of the book though Dan and Serena go on a date. The book then ends on if Serena and Dan will go on another date or not.
Overall Gossip Girl was a very good book. I liked the setting of the book. I also liked what the book was about. I can’t wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  alcl14 | Feb 9, 2015 |
i found this book on ibooks and it looked like it was pretty popular so i thought why not try it out. as soon as i started reading i couldn't stop, i finished in two days and later moved on to the second book. the book is a lot different from the TV series (which i have finished) but i also think the books are lot better.

i really recommend this book, the characters are like real people and once you learn about them, you want to keep reading about them. Their is soon bad things in the book, but thats not what the books about it's about growing up, they learn lessons that you can learn from. The charters could be your friends, there just like you and me and everyone can relate on a lot of different levels.

I also like how the writer kind of dumbs it down for her audience, wich is teenage girls and gives us things we can learn from. the book also keeps you guessing ''who's the gossip girl" and the writing obviously knows a alot is she the gossip girl? ( )
  haileypowell | Oct 3, 2014 |
I always heard of the series. I was never interested in reading it. Recently I thought I would try reading the first book to see if I would like it. I borrowed it from the library. It was a good book! I can see why gossip girl is popular. I think teens 17 and older should read it. I thought this book wouldn't be my type cause I hate gossip. I wanted to read something different. I was halfway into the book and wanted to see the show. So far I saw the first three episodes. The show is really good! I had no idea I would like it. Anyway this book is good and is worth checking out. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
"Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality." Oscar Wilde
Ever wonder what the lives of the chosen ones are really like?
"Welcome to New York City's Upper East Side, where my friends and I live and go to school and play and sleep- sometimes with each other. We all live in huge apartments with our own bedrooms and bathrooms and phone lines. We have unlimited access to money and booze and whatever else we want, and our parents are rarely home, so we have tons of privacy. We're smart, we've inherited classic good looks, we wear fantastic clothes, and we know how to party."
p. 3

We're smart, we've inherited classic good looks, and we know how to party. It's a luxe life, but someone's got to live it.

This is the world of Gossip Girl - inhabited by the city's most glamorous people and filled with spicy gossip, jealousy, betrayal and Jimmy Choo shoes.

...S is back from boarding school. Her hair is longer, paler. Her blue eyes have that deep mysteriousness of kept secrets... If we aren't careful, S is going to win over our teachers, wear that dress we couldn't fit into, eat the last olive. spill Campari on our rugs, steal our brothers' and boyfriends' hearts, and basically ruin our lives in a major way.

I'll be watching closely. I'll be watching all of us. It's going to be a wild and wicked year. I can smell it.

gossip girl.

Welcome to New York City's Upper East Side, where my friends and I live, go to school, play, and sleep--sometimes with each other.

S is back from boarding school, and if we aren't careful, she's going to win over our teachers, wear that dress we couldn't fit into, steal our boyfriends' hearts, and basically ruin our lives in a major way. I'll be watching closely...

You know you love me,
gossip girl

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:52 -0400)

Presents a world of jealousy and betrayal at an exclusive private school in Manhattan.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible