dismiss

Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (2004)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (3)

In this novel that unites characters from "The Giver" and "Gathering Blue," Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

English (169)  Italian (1)  All languages (170)
Advance copy. ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
I enjoyed this sequel to both of the first stories in the quartet, particularly that the story focused on Matty. The theme of human evolution both reoccurs and evolves in this book, with the addendum that even given peace and seeming utopia that people will want more - more power, more things, more popularity. And that they will sacrifice their better self for this.
  Welfycat | Mar 3, 2020 |
I love this series so much! There is so much to think about. I've been reading these with my son. ( )
  vickimarie2002 | Feb 19, 2020 |
It's been so long since I read Gathering Blue that I'm coming to this book with a tabula rasa.
I really enjoyed the interactions of Matty and Seer, and could identify with his level of comfort and familiarity in the forest. And then the ending came, and it was much too soon, and not at all what I expected or wanted. How could that happen to the main protagonist? No fair. ( )
  juniperSun | Feb 12, 2020 |
Publisher's blurb
"In MESSENGER, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man known for his special sight. His community once welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close its borders to outsiders.
Now Matty must risk everything to make one last journey through the treacherous forest.."
My comments:
Matty is a character that we met in the previous book "Gathering Blue" and this story picks up a few years later. I probably liked this one the best out of the quartet for the evil element and the way the villagers are manipulated into getting their desires granted but at the cost of the "good" parts of their personality. (It is also the shortest one too.) ( )
  nicsreads | Jan 20, 2020 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

AR Book Level 4.9, 5 pts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,692,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible