Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (2004)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (3)

English (107)  Italian (1)  All languages (108)
This was an incredible merging of the characters and themes explored in the predecessors The Giver and Gathering Blue. It was rather short and abrupt with the main conflict(s) remaining very shrouded in mystery, but even still, I'm glad to have continued the journeys of Jonas, Matty, and Kira. ( )
  benuathanasia | Oct 5, 2015 |
This is the 3rd book in The Giver series. It brings together some of the characters from the second book (Gathering Blue) with one of the characters from the first book. Matty has settled in Village, living with Seer (a blind man and Matty's friend (Kira)'s father). Kira is still living in their old village, but when the people of the previously welcoming Village decide to close their doors to newcomers, Matty makes a trip to get Kira and bring her so she and her father can be reunited.

I probably shouldn't have listened to the audio. The narrator has a low gravely voice, and I did lose focus. It was ok, but nothing special. It was also extremely short. I was going to give up on the series, but I must admit that I liked the way it ended and it did make me slightly curious about the next book. We'll see. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 18, 2015 |
The ending was perfect but heartbreaking. Matty has lived with the blind Seer in a village near a forest for six years, learning maturity, becoming less wild than he had been, he finds that he has a power within himself and wants to use it. When he's sent to fetch Seer's daughter to join her father he discovers the uses of his gifts.

Short, sweet, heartbreaking. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 2, 2015 |
This is the third book in the series. It has to do with a special boy named Matty. He has a very special purpose that even he can't see until the moment is upon him. He lives in the village that Jonas fled to. The village is surrounded by a living forest. This forest protects the villagers by picking and choosing who may pass through it. The forest seems to like Matty, for it lets him come and go at will to be the communication for the other communities and the village. There is also an evil that is doing it's best to pounce upon this village the way it has done so many others. The people are starting to turn on each other and the LEADER (Jonas) needs to find a way to bring peace again. This is where Matty is at his best. ( )
  kat32969 | Apr 20, 2015 |
Lots of people don't like the ending here, or don't understand it. Well, the thing is, it's absolutely what the whole book was about, what it was leading up to. Everything fits together if you can 'see' the 'threads.' If you can't, it's not Lowry's fault. She's a master, remember. Maybe you read too fast. I'm sorry if that sounds rude, but I know I had to make myself slow down and think about what I was reading, because it was so smooth and interesting on a 'neat story' level. But this is not as easy as the first two and is better, not for inexperienced readers who are 12, but for 14 year-olds who have read some more Literary fantasy or science fiction.

As to whether they/ we should have read the first two first - well, should, yes. Needed to have done? Maybe not. I suspect this one could stand alone, or be read without re-reading the first two if it was a long time ago one did so. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.
This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

478 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,802,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible