Messenger (Readers Circle) by Lois Lowry

Messenger (Readers Circle) (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

Member:EllenAllen
Title:Messenger (Readers Circle)
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Delacorte Press (2006), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:to-read

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (157)  Italian (1)  All languages (158)
While the plot issues with Gathering Blue weren't resolved in this one, it stood on it's own better as a story. I loved Matty in this, and all the other characters too, like Seer, Leader (who's totally Jonas), Jean, and Kira from Gathering Blue. The themes of immigration and acceptance, of social sickness reflecting in nature were very well done and relevant. I wished there had been a bit more in some areas, but found myself deeply engrossed throughout and read it all in one sitting (it is very short though, so that isn't exactly a bragging point). I'm excited to read Son now, which is considerably longer than Gathering Blue and Messenger, possibly even combined. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
Matty has gone to live with Kira's father Christopher, known as Seer in Village, even though he is blind.
Matty is the Messenger and he's coming to age where he will receive his given name by Leader. He hopes it will be Messenger.
However, Village is changing and something is happening in Trade Mart. People are changing and want to block anyone new from coming to Village.
Before the changed people in Village build a fence Matty goes to Kira to bring her to live with her father.
This book follows Gathering Blue which was better than The Giver and this book, was better than Gathering Blue. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
beautifully amazing. The fight "village" is having with whether or not to continue to accept outsiders is so similar to many times in life, and now currently. ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
Whoa.... Sounds a lot like Heroes! As I am sure The Giver did too. ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
"Messenger" is the tale of Matty, the wayward village tyke from "Gathering Blue" who is, in fact, the person who "gathers the blue" and takes it to Kira. He does this by finding his way through the forest, to…another place, another village, which has a couple of VERY interesting residents, and I dare not expound on this too much for fear of giving secrets away which you should uncover for yourself. I will note that this is a far better place for Matty than his previous home, even if he does have to stay clean (most of the time, anyway.) He remembers fondly his friend Kira though, and her strange talent for weaving, and when he discovers that he has a peculiar talent too, he's off on a journey of his own, perhaps to reunite a family. Or perhaps to save his faltering village. Or perhaps there's more at stake than just the Village…

There. Another obscure synopsis. I really don't want to give anything away.

This is the third book in Lois Lowry's "Giver" quartet, and really ties the series thus far together. Again, at fear of giving too much away, I won't go too much in-depth, but I will note that, at least to this point, this is my favorite of the series. That might change as I tear into "Son", the fourth book, but "Messenger" definitely left me in tears.

Dig it. Five stars. ( )
  Jamski | Jul 18, 2018 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

AR Book Level 4.9, 5 pts.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

In this novel that unites characters from "The Giver" and "Gathering Blue," Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,499,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible