Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lois Lowry

Member:jkeaton
Title:Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Bantam Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2012, authors, children

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (122)  Italian (1)  All languages (123)
I had only been aware of Lowry's The Giver prior to discovering this book when searching for young adult mystery novels. After getting into it, it became apparent that it would have been very helpful to have read the second book in the trilogy before this one, but it can be read alone. I did not find it as engrossing as The Giver and will probably search out Gathering Blue to read before attempting this book again. I think I may only use this book as a follow up with students that really connect with The Giver. ( )
  ScottPrinzing | Apr 16, 2016 |
I was excited to see the tie in to both The Giver and Gathering Blue in this book. I was thinking all the books would be similar but separate, so it was a pleasant surprise. At first you think the Village that we're reading about has the right of things in this world that Lowry has created. The more you read, however, the more you discover that there are problems even here. I did not see the ending and solution coming until it was just there, laid bare. I have to admit to crying like a baby at the end. I'm anxious to see how Son will tie things all together and how the series will end. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Matty is a boy living in a village, six years after he left his old one. His adoptive father is a blind man named Christoper. The once selfless village and its people are being filled with greed. Now, they are starting to resent the idea of sharing and helping others. One day Matt's crush, Jean, promises him a puppy, but that puppy and its family fall ill. The puppies two siblings die and he and his mother aren't very healthy at all. When Matt visits them he sends Jean away and tries to comfort the dogs. Upon doing so, he discovers something incredible! He finds that he has the power to heal and the dog and its mother become healthy and lively. Christopher tells Matt that he should go and retrieve Kira from his old village to come and live with them. So before he goes, Matt visits the Leader and asks him if he can us is gift, to look beyond, to see Kira. He claims he can, and before bidding goodbye to Matt he gives the puppy his true name, Frolic. As he journeys through the forest, Matt finds that the forest appears to have changed since the last time he was there. The forest looks thicker, and less open. When Matt arrives in his old village and goes to take Kira back with him, he and Kira face horrible pain when the forest seems to scratch and claw at them. When the leader uses his gift he knows he must go and save them from the forest. When they finally meet, Matt and Kira are heavily wounded and so is the Leader. When all seems lost, Matt uses his gift to an extreme and not only heals Kira and the Leader, but the whole village. He hears the villagers singing in all different tongues. In the end, drain from the over use of the gift, Matt stills as Kira holds him in her arms and he is given his true name by the Leader, Messenger.
This is an extended ending to the Gathering Blue. The Messenger takes place six years later in the village of broken people. This is a nice closing to the last book, but Lois Lowry never mentioned Thomas or Jo once in this story. It leaves the readers wondering what happened to them. I can't wait to read the next book and I hope that it will tie The Giver, Gathering Blue, and The Messenger together so they make sense. ( )
  TessW.b1 | Mar 30, 2016 |
Another good book by Lois Lowry and yes I liked the end although I wanted to know much more about the dark trading that was going on. I wonder why her books are so thin. Maybe back in the days they thought young adults did not like to read bigger books? (Before Twilight lol)

Like another reviewer I thought that the one called Christopher was Jonas of Book 1. (I had confused him I guess but was there a Christopher in the other 2 books??
I recommend this series of books highly! Lois Lowry has a lovely way of writing that draws you in and you want to know more. I wanted 2 more books at least ;) ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
The first time I read this book, I was surrounded by loud, laughing people, and I sat in my little corner and cried, completely ignoring what was going on around me. Re-reading it still tugged at my heartstrings, knowing that Matty would be betrayed by Forest and would have to sacrifice his life to save everyone else. (And yes, I caught the symbolism.) It wasn't fair that Matty had to pay the ultimate price to save Village. And it wasn't fair to make the readers get so attached to him just to see him ripped away like that. . . . ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 8, 2016 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,846,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible