Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lois Lowry

Member:jkeaton
Title:Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Bantam Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2012, authors, children

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (131)  Italian (1)  All languages (132)
I loved the messenger. It kept me on my toes at all times. I enjoyed the context and the "life lessons" that the author incorporated throughout the novel. The end was a twist that I never expected! Nevertheless, this was a great read!!

- Janiqua Reddix ( )
  niquaar94 | Jul 24, 2016 |
Lois Lowry's Messenger is about a boy named Matty who lives in the seemingly utopian society called Village. Matty and his guardian Seer notice that something has gone wrong in Village and in the surrounding, dangerous Forest. It may be up to Matty, the town's messenger, to make everything right again. The twists of special powers and the danger of trees that come to life keep the reader's attention, while the novel reveals truths about the world and human nature. Great, quick, and easy read! ( )
  EmilyRussell | Jul 20, 2016 |
I have not read the other books in this quartet, but that did not stop me from enjoying this amazing book! This book kept me engaged and entertained from the start. Matty, Seer, Kira, and Leader are wonderfully developed characters with amazing background stories. This book definitely inspired me to read the other books in the quartet. Lois Lowry did a wonderful job using suspense and mystery to engulf the readers into this book.
  michaelapitts | Jul 19, 2016 |
Messenger, by Lois Lowry is one of the most interesting books I have read in a while! If you are a fan of the book, The Giver, you will also love this book! The story of Matty dealing with problems both in Village and Forest will give the reader a rush that will keep them reading to find out more. Along with the crazy story line, the message behind this book is also really great! Although, Messenger, is based off of a fictional place, the story deals with real-life problems that we face in our day-to-day society. Overall, I believe, Messenger, is a great story and would do extremely well being taught in a classroom setting.
  Kathryn_Lovell | Jul 19, 2016 |
In the beginning. I thought I would not understand what was going on because I did not read the other books. The author makes sure you are entertained throughout the whole book, and that was what I loved most! The way this book is set up, you will not be confused while reading. The ending for me was not expected, but it went along great with the book. The author shows us the true definition of love and sacrifice!!! Great book for youth 7th grade and up! ( )
  toppers24 | Jul 18, 2016 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,479,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible