The Giver Quartet 03 - Messenger by Lois…

The Giver Quartet 03 - Messenger (original 2004; edition 2009)

by Lois Lowry

Member:drachenbraut23
Title:The Giver Quartet 03 - Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Bantam Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 169 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012
Tags:YA, Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopian

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (133)  Italian (1)  All languages (134)
This coming of age novel is about a young boy named Matty that lives in a very possible world. While their village is known for accepting of all kinds, others are trying to close their gates forever. Matty has to take his gift that he is not completely sure how to use yet and try to make the world right, but time is ticking and some can't hold on much longer!
  mjungles13 | Jul 26, 2016 |
The Messenger was really a compelling book with quite a deep theme. Each aspect of it gave the audience reasoning to think deeper into the context of the book. The sacrafice that Matty gave in order to save his Village was very heart-felt. This novel, the Messenger was very tear-jerking and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in a good read. ( )
  Hkl46 | Jul 26, 2016 |
I loved the messenger. It kept me on my toes at all times. I enjoyed the context and the "life lessons" that the author incorporated throughout the novel. The end was a twist that I never expected! Nevertheless, this was a great read!!

- Janiqua Reddix ( )
  niquaar94 | Jul 24, 2016 |
Lois Lowry's Messenger is about a boy named Matty who lives in the seemingly utopian society called Village. Matty and his guardian Seer notice that something has gone wrong in Village and in the surrounding, dangerous Forest. It may be up to Matty, the town's messenger, to make everything right again. The twists of special powers and the danger of trees that come to life keep the reader's attention, while the novel reveals truths about the world and human nature. Great, quick, and easy read! ( )
  EmilyRussell | Jul 20, 2016 |
I have not read the other books in this quartet, but that did not stop me from enjoying this amazing book! This book kept me engaged and entertained from the start. Matty, Seer, Kira, and Leader are wonderfully developed characters with amazing background stories. This book definitely inspired me to read the other books in the quartet. Lois Lowry did a wonderful job using suspense and mystery to engulf the readers into this book.
  michaelapitts | Jul 19, 2016 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,559,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible