Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lois Lowry

Member:aerobama
Title:Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 2004.
Tags:gpl, hbms, The Giver Quartet, dystopia, young adult, science fiction, sacrifice, fantasy

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (139)  Italian (1)  All (140)
Setting: 2/5

In Gathering Blue there were two villages that were separated via a forest. The main character lived in a village where the hurt, the deformed and the handicapped were seen as invaluable and were typically left to die in the field. The village discovered at the end of the tale is comprised of all the deformed and less valued members of that first village and their offspring. Messenger takes place in this same spot of the planet but the focus has shifted to the deformed village. All of a sudden the forest is alive and it's evil, which is never really explained. Honestly, I had a really hard time picturing this village, which wasn't the case with the last book, Gathering Blue. The other thing that has been really bothering me concerning the setting is the fact that in The Giver the setting seemed to take place in a time and place where there was technology and I couldn't help but picture it as a time similar to our own. Then Gathering Blue comes along and all of a sudden it's like their in the middle ages with no technology whatsoever. I just assumed that this must be the location Jonas went on to discover. His cameo in Messenger proves that it isn't. I'm just not buying this rapid decline in technology. The setting is really confusing.

Characters: 4/5

I'm very happy that there really weren't too many new characters introduced in this novel. One of the things that had bothered me most about Gathering Blue was the fact that there were no characters from The Giver. That is extremely disappointing when the reason you even bothered to read more was because of the fact that you had enjoyed the characters and story from The Giver. Messenger's cast is comprised of characters from both novels with a focus on Kira's father and Matty. This was especially great as a reader because you are able to see how these characters have evolved and progressed as the series has continued. I really think the characters were the best part of Messenger.

Plot: 2/5

Here is the plot in a nutshell: The deformed village has been letting people hop the border whenever because they all understand how awful things were and have gotten in the original village. Well one day, all of a sudden, the community of the deformed village is completely against this and they want to build a wall to help control their immigration problems. (Sound familiar?) The reason they are so against this is because during their weekly trades some people have begun selling their souls to fix themselves. (Wall street anyone?) Nature has an agenda too and the forest is getting ticked off at the whole thing and has decided it will just kill anyone who decides to venture in. Matty needs to get Kira because after she discovered that her father lived in the deformed village she realized that she needed to help fix the old village, but she promised she would come back someday. Obviously her time is running out and she needs to be warned which takes place in the last ten percent of the novel. The resolution is rushed and feels a tad unfinished since none of this strange sudden paranormalness is ever even explained.

Writing: 3/5

This was not Lowry's best work. There seemed to be serious issues with pacing. I think it took way too long to establish much of anything in way of plot and setting. The main conflict doesn't even seem to come into the picture until the end of the book and then everything just ends. Basically about 90 percent of the book reminded me of that chapter in The Grapes of Wrath where the turtle is crossing the road. I still think Lowry has proved herself as a good writer via The Giver, this just isn't up to par for me.

Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
In Lowry's third book of The Giver series, you find yourself looking for purpose along side the main character Matty. When the community decides that they should close the gates so as to say that outcast and those from the surroundings communities are no longer welcome, Matty is put on a mission to bring someone home before the gates close. In this book we deal with selfishness, collaboration and sacrifice. How much of your soul would you sell? ( )
  AnnaBailey | Mar 9, 2017 |
The messenger is a good book that makes fantasy interesting and demonstrates the power of teamwork. The characters are very relatable. I would recommend this book to anyone ( )
  jtocain | Oct 23, 2016 |
This book is a good read that ties in with two previous books that Lois Lowry wrote. It includes positive role models and messages. I believe that this would be a great book for anyone around age 12 and up. ( )
  achclaire | Oct 23, 2016 |
This is a good series. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

AR Book Level 4.9, 5 pts.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,052,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible