Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lois Lowry

Member:aerobama
Title:Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 2004.
Tags:gpl, hbms, The Giver Quartet, dystopia, young adult, science fiction, sacrifice, fantasy

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (118)  Italian (1)  All languages (119)
Matty has lived with the blind Seer since arriving in the Village six years ago. The village was founded on selflessness but changes are afoot. A petition is circulating for the closure of the village to newcomers. People are trading for more than material items and exchanging their essences in the process. The Forest is changing as well, getting overgrown and darker. Meanwhile Matty discovers his burgeoning gift for healing with his own hands. As the future of the Village becomes inevitable, Matty heads to another village to bring back Seer's daughter Kira before the borders close. But the journey back through the changing forest physically drains and damages the two. Matty must use his powers to heal the forest and the village and in the process, sacrifice himself.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
4/5 stars
You can find all my reviews here.

Lois Lowry writes well, and I think the fact that amazes me the most is that she turned this story into a good quartet when she never intended for there to be more books after The Giver. Admittedly I gave this 4 stars when it probably deserved 3 but I can’t help it. I know if I read it when I was a kid it would be 4 stars. The fact is it really is a children’s book, but a well-written children’s book. It doesn’t come off as childish or immature. Actually it has more maturity in the writing than some Young Adult and Adult books that I have read before. It ties things together more despite being the third book about a different character. I really like the way Lowry went about the books. It wouldn’t have the same effect if they had all been told from Jonas’ perspective. When well done multiple perspectives are great, you can see things through different eyes, feel what everyone feels, and understand the characters you are devoting your time to better. And in this series Lowry hit the nail on the head with multiple perspective storytelling. ( )
  MarandaNicole | Jan 27, 2016 |
4/5 stars
You can find all my reviews here.

MarandaNicole | Jan 27, 2016 |
Good book. Sad ending to the Trilogy. ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
This is the third book in the "Giver" trilogy. This book takes the first took books and finally brings them together. At the beginning of the book it appears Lowry doesn't want you to fully understand that we are dealing with the characters from the first books and then she suddenly opens it up that these are those characters. This story focuses largely on Matt (Matty here) from the 2nd book in the series. This book is my favorite of the three because of how Lowry blends the three characters from the books together. She does so seamlessly. There is no moment in this book that you feel that she is trying to force characters into actions that make no sense, which sometimes happens in a book that is part of a trilogy because the author wants certain characters to end up somewhere together. Lowry is able to make it seem organic that they all meet because of the stories that she has told in the previous volumes.

I admire the social commentary aspect of these books because Lowry is able to tell the reader that as a society we need to care for each other without necessarily beating us over the head with it. She does so in a subtle fashion that makes you almost think it is your idea to want to change the world while reading this book. Lowry often in the series shows us that we have to have our feelings, skills, and desires, but that we should use these things to help other people that we come across. She does all this while creating a fantastical world that one wishes that they could explore. I admire Lowry for creating a book series that can teach young readers that values are important and that each life has an importance regardless of age or ability. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,083,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible