Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lois Lowry

Member:aerobama
Title:Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 2004.
Tags:gpl, hbms, The Giver Quartet, dystopia, young adult, science fiction, sacrifice, fantasy

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (135)  Italian (1)  All languages (136)
A great science fiction novel. This story grasps your attention at the beginning of the book and holds it to the very end. While reading this book, you will become a non-existent character in this book. This is a great novel to analyze and go into depth with students.
  JasmineARice | Jul 28, 2016 |
The part with the gaming machine was pretty bizarre- how would it create those special candies? I understand Mattie's gift and what became of it, but I wasn't happy with the ending. I'm definitely curious about the final book in The Giver Series. ( )
  t1bnotown | Jul 28, 2016 |
This coming of age novel is about a young boy named Matty that lives in a very possible world. While their village is known for accepting of all kinds, others are trying to close their gates forever. Matty has to take his gift that he is not completely sure how to use yet and try to make the world right, but time is ticking and some can't hold on much longer!
  mjungles13 | Jul 26, 2016 |
The Messenger was really a compelling book with quite a deep theme. Each aspect of it gave the audience reasoning to think deeper into the context of the book. The sacrafice that Matty gave in order to save his Village was very heart-felt. This novel, the Messenger was very tear-jerking and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in a good read. ( )
  Hkl46 | Jul 26, 2016 |
I loved the messenger. It kept me on my toes at all times. I enjoyed the context and the "life lessons" that the author incorporated throughout the novel. The end was a twist that I never expected! Nevertheless, this was a great read!!

- Janiqua Reddix ( )
  niquaar94 | Jul 24, 2016 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,639,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible