Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lois Lowry

2,678None2,208 (3.77)140
Member:aerobama
Title:Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 2004.
Tags:gpl, hbms, The Giver Quartet, dystopia, young adult, science fiction, sacrifice, fantasy

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (96)  Italian (1)  All languages (97)
I really liked this third book in the giver series. It connects The Giver and Gathering Blue. It has an intriging twist as well. You also find out what happened to Jonas in the Giver. But the ending made me mad. ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Apr 11, 2014 |
This book was enjoyable enough, but I wish that Lowry had separated this and 'Gathering Blue' from 'The Giver' they didn't need to be related, and honestly are really related only by threads. At the same time they take some of the magic away from the original, as sequels often do. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
This is an amazing book that will take you through the full gamut of emotions. I did not like the way that it ended, but at the same time it was a very heartwarming ending. ( )
  AbundaBookworms | Mar 1, 2014 |
Each of the books in this quartet seem to stand alone. I think The Giver remains my favorite. I look forward to Son now that I have reread the first three. This one left me a little puzzled. The main mystery seemed to remain unsolved. I do like the characters that Lois Lowry creates. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
A really good book in the Giver series. Next best in the series, after The Giver of course. Really amazing in how few pages Lowry can tell the story of Matt, the Leader (Jonas), the Seer, Trademaster, and Kira. Does an excellent job of starting to build connections that were impossible to build in Gathering Blue, while setting up for the final volume, Son. Probably would not read well as a stand alone. ( )
  rdwhitenack | Jan 8, 2014 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:58 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,460,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible