Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lois Lowry

Member:aimless22
Title:Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:
Collections:Your library, Young Adult
Tags:fiction, young adult, futuristic, book 3, magical, Matty, Kira

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (99)  Italian (1)  All languages (100)
A horrible hot, moist, swampy area, is all masked by the sounds of laughter and music. That is all gone now, due to trade mart. Trade mart is an event that occurs once a month, and it changes people for the worse. Matty, a positive, healthy young man has a gift of healing any wound. He keeps this a secret from Village, where that is forbidden. After those affected by Trade Mart decide to close the gate of the entrance of Village, the whole purpose of Village was to welcome those to a better life, Matty sets out on a quest to find Kira, Seer’s daughter, to bring her back to Village before the gates close. With Leader advising him of the dangers of the forest, and how it is “thickening”, Matty faces struggles in getting to Kira, where his secret gift might come into hand.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, The Messenger, by Lois Lowry. The plot was intriguing with its suspenseful and interesting plot. This sci-fi’s theme is confidence, where speaking your mind and sticking up to what is wrong is demonstrated through the events of Trade Mart, where the people change. The author’s sequence of events was well placed, and the character developement of Matty’s selfish yet kind perspective is realistic. ( )
  AlFaBr14 | Sep 29, 2014 |
The third book in the series, "Messenger" examines the cost of temptation with the "Trade Master". What part of yourself would you be willing to trade for something else? Those things, attributes that make us who we are cannot easily be separated from one another. Lois Lowry describes the awareness of one's life purpose or special gift, and the way in which the purpose/gift is linked to everything else that makes us who we are. ( )
  AmberEgan | Aug 24, 2014 |
As with the other The Giver books I have read so far, Messenger kept me engaged and I read through it very quickly. What I have loved is that the characters lives are presented as so simple, at first, but as the stories progress it is evident that a threat is all around them. Many characters are reunited in this third book. And though it makes since to start from the beginning, Messenger could easily stand alone like the other two books.

These were the dystopias that were ahead of the game, before dystopian was the trend. Don’t hesitate to read them. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jul 11, 2014 |
I really loved and enjoyed Messenger except for the ending Ugh the ending just broke my heart Messenger is in Mattie pov the tyke and Kira only friend she had but Mattie is not a tyke anymore he is a grown handsome young man. It has been six years that has already past and six years that he leaves in the village that welcome him with open arms and also he leaves with the seer Kira father since he arrived at the village. Mattie loves the village but it is changing and he sees that it is changing for the worst the people or changing and the forest is more dangerous than ever and he hides a secret that no body knows except for there leader in the village. Some of the village people decided to vote and close the village from any new arrivals who comes to the village. Some people in the village excuse to close the village was so cruel and so cold hearted that it shock Mattie. Before the close of the village the seer asked Mattie can he please go get his daughter Kira to come to leave with them at the village before it closes and Mattie agree and promised him he will get her. Even though the leader of the village ask him not to because the forest was getting really dangerous but Mattie promised the seer who is like a father to him that he well bring back Kira and bring her to him. Ohh boy what a dangerous journey it was coming back to the village with Kira I am going to leave it off here because I don't want to spoil it for anybody but just that at the end it literally broke my heart. I really loved and enjoyed Messenger and we also find out what happens to Jonas in the Messenger that was an awesome surprised for me but Messenger was a great read for me! Well Until Next Time My Friends! ( )
  Katiria_Rodriguez | Jun 3, 2014 |
The third book in the Giver Series. This is the culmination of the other two stories (The Giver and Gathering Blue).

It mostly takes place in the village where those who are thrown out of their own homes because they're deformed or different live. Except the village too is starting to change. We see most of the story through Matty's eyes, a character from the previous book, who has done some definite growing up, and he even has a secret now.

Of the series, this is the book that has the least subtle allusions to our present day. A group of villagers wanting to close their borders to 'newcomers', the villagers escalation to rampant materialism, even going so far as to selling their 'deepest selves' or peoples' health.

For the most part it was just as good as the previous two books, but, unfortunately after reading the two fo them I probably wasn't as surprised by the ending as I could have been.

Still it was a great book with the usual amazing descriptions and characters that jump off the page when Lowry writes a book. ( )
  DanieXJ | May 28, 2014 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:58 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,391,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible