Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lois Lowry

Member:aimless22
Title:Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2004), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 176 pages
Collections:Your library, Young Adult
Tags:fiction, young adult, futuristic, book 3, magical, Matty, Kira

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (105)  Italian (1)  All languages (106)
This is the third book in the series. It has to do with a special boy named Matty. He has a very special purpose that even he can't see until the moment is upon him. He lives in the village that Jonas fled to. The village is surrounded by a living forest. This forest protects the villagers by picking and choosing who may pass through it. The forest seems to like Matty, for it lets him come and go at will to be the communication for the other communities and the village. There is also an evil that is doing it's best to pounce upon this village the way it has done so many others. The people are starting to turn on each other and the LEADER (Jonas) needs to find a way to bring peace again. This is where Matty is at his best. ( )
  kat32969 | Apr 20, 2015 |
Lots of people don't like the ending here, or don't understand it. Well, the thing is, it's absolutely what the whole book was about, what it was leading up to. Everything fits together if you can 'see' the 'threads.' If you can't, it's not Lowry's fault. She's a master, remember. Maybe you read too fast. I'm sorry if that sounds rude, but I know I had to make myself slow down and think about what I was reading, because it was so smooth and interesting on a 'neat story' level. But this is not as easy as the first two and is better, not for inexperienced readers who are 12, but for 14 year-olds who have read some more Literary fantasy or science fiction.

As to whether they/ we should have read the first two first - well, should, yes. Needed to have done? Maybe not. I suspect this one could stand alone, or be read without re-reading the first two if it was a long time ago one did so. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This book is one of the low-tech stories in the Giver series. It's set in a simple village. People have simple lives, working on farms, weaving cloth, smelting iron, etc.

It's the story of what happens when the devil comes to town. It's not actually said that the man is, in fact, the devil. But to me, it's the only logical conclusion.

Because, the devil offers people amazing gifts. He can heal the sick. He can make someone love you. He can give you riches. A beautiful house. A majestic horse. Pretty much anything you desire, the devil can provide.

But of course, there's a price to be paid for all these gifts. The forest is dying. Hell, their world is dying. So, one boy takes it upon himself to heal their forest, and set everything right that the devil has set wrong.

It really is a heartwarming tale. It seriously pisses me off that there wasn't much wrong with it. The characters were vibrant. The story was well told.

Most of the time, I find myself rooting for the villain. But in this story, I actually wanted to see good prevail. Because the author actually made me give a shit about the characters. I wanted them to live, and be happy.

This is so uncharacteristic of me. I usually enjoy the pain and suffering on the page. But with this book, I really wanted to see the devil get what he deserved. And so, he did. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
SPOILERS: Some small spoilers, nothing big. This is the third book in the series. In this review I reference story lines in the first two books. If you have not read THE GIVER and Gathering Blue this review will contain spoilers.

Messenger is the continuing story of Matty and the blind man, both characters we met in Gathering Blue. The Village in Messenger is different from any we have experienced yet, people actually have choices and freedom, there is kindness and fair treatment. It is known as a place oppressed people can come to.

But things have changed, the village is being closed, the forest surrounding the village seems to be alive with a malevolent influence, in Matty’s last trip through the forest to post notices and deliver a special message, he needs to use his power in a way he never expected.

In this world everyone has a unique power, some gift, most are benevolent, but one with an evil gift has crept in. If I say anything more it will most likely give away the whole thing. I don’t like doing that so I will stop now.

Once aqain, I am of the opinion if you liked the two previous books you will like this one also. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
I enjoyed Messenger much more than the second of the Giver quartet (Gathering Blue) and now see why I needed to press on through Gathering Blue- it made Messenger more meaningful. I enjoyed seeing Matty again, all grown up. The change that was perceived in Village was strongly written and made for an interesting journey. I was also happy to see The Giver connect with Messenger, although brief, it gave me some hope to learn more of Gabriel and Jonas. I didn't love the ending, it's good but broke my heart a bit. And what about Trademart? I didn't feel a conclusion there and would like to know more. ( )
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:58 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,727,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible