Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lois Lowry

Member:aimless22
Title:Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2004), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 176 pages
Collections:Your library, Young Adult
Tags:fiction, young adult, futuristic, book 3, magical, Matty, Kira

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (124)  Italian (1)  All languages (125)
Be sure to read The Giver and Gathering Blue first. The element of magic was much stronger in this volume than in the first two which weakened the comparisons for me between those cultures and our way of life. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
I think this is my favorite of the three in the "series" (Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger). Matty was a great character in Gathering Blue, and it's a joy to spend more time with him. Another review complained about having a major character die ... ah, but how else to communicate the concept and value of self-sacrifice.

I do recommend reading the three in order. ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
This book revolved around my favorite character in the Giver series, Matty.  I really liked his character in Gathering Blue because he had a lot of spunk.  He changed a lot in this episode to adapt to his new life in Village.  It made sense to the story, but I was just a tad disappointed because I loved the old Matty.  Toward the end of the book, Lowry brought back little episodes of the old Matty so that made me happy.  As for the plot, I thought it was the best of the series.  The scary dystopian element wasn't as blatant in this one so you really had to think about human nature.  I also like how Lowry slipped in a few characters from the previous books.  This was very well-written with a focus on character development and my favorite in the series. The ending was 100% appropriate, 100% surprising, and I'm not sure I've recovered yet. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
I had only been aware of Lowry's The Giver prior to discovering this book when searching for young adult mystery novels. After getting into it, it became apparent that it would have been very helpful to have read the second book in the trilogy before this one, but it can be read alone. I did not find it as engrossing as The Giver and will probably search out Gathering Blue to read before attempting this book again. I think I may only use this book as a follow up with students that really connect with The Giver. ( )
  ScottPrinzing | Apr 16, 2016 |
I was excited to see the tie in to both The Giver and Gathering Blue in this book. I was thinking all the books would be similar but separate, so it was a pleasant surprise. At first you think the Village that we're reading about has the right of things in this world that Lowry has created. The more you read, however, the more you discover that there are problems even here. I did not see the ending and solution coming until it was just there, laid bare. I have to admit to crying like a baby at the end. I'm anxious to see how Son will tie things all together and how the series will end. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,926,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible