Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lois Lowry

Member:aimless22
Title:Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2004), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 176 pages
Collections:Your library, Young Adult
Tags:fiction, young adult, futuristic, book 3, magical, Matty, Kira

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (102)  Italian (1)  All languages (103)
SPOILERS: Some small spoilers, nothing big. This is the third book in the series. In this review I reference story lines in the first two books. If you have not read THE GIVER and Gathering Blue this review will contain spoilers.

Messenger is the continuing story of Matty and the blind man, both characters we met in Gathering Blue. The Village in Messenger is different from any we have experienced yet, people actually have choices and freedom, there is kindness and fair treatment. It is known as a place oppressed people can come to.

But things have changed, the village is being closed, the forest surrounding the village seems to be alive with a malevolent influence, in Matty’s last trip through the forest to post notices and deliver a special message, he needs to use his power in a way he never expected.

In this world everyone has a unique power, some gift, most are benevolent, but one with an evil gift has crept in. If I say anything more it will most likely give away the whole thing. I don’t like doing that so I will stop now.

Once aqain, I am of the opinion if you liked the two previous books you will like this one also. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
I enjoyed Messenger much more than the second of the Giver quartet (Gathering Blue) and now see why I needed to press on through Gathering Blue- it made Messenger more meaningful. I enjoyed seeing Matty again, all grown up. The change that was perceived in Village was strongly written and made for an interesting journey. I was also happy to see The Giver connect with Messenger, although brief, it gave me some hope to learn more of Gabriel and Jonas. I didn't love the ending, it's good but broke my heart a bit. And what about Trademart? I didn't feel a conclusion there and would like to know more. ( )
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
My Review

This is the third book in The Giver series, this time centering around Matty from Gathering Blue. We revisit Jonas and Gabe in this book, too, although their part of the story is not the focus. This, too, is a new utopian/dystopian society, formed from the outcasts from other supposedly utopian societies.

There is an interesting theme of materialism in this story that says a lot about the value placed on material things. The central root of this society's problems is found in just that, the need for material goods. Many of the village's people are willing to trade away most anything for something material or superficial. This entire subplot centered around the TradeMart and the mysterious man who facilitated these trades, something that I wished was more developed.

The way that the concept of utopia versus dystopia is used is fascinating. In the first book, we had a fairly technologically advanced society, one that focused on control and order and uniformity in order to create a "utopian" society. In the second, the society was far more primitive and focused on one's viable contributions to society as valuable. Anyone less capable was cast out as deficient. In this book, society is still rather primitive, created out of nothing by those cast out from other societies. Their focus was on acceptance and open-mindedness. All three of these societies have totally different values and yet all three become less than utopian. It is that point that really makes the reader think... is human nature truly capable of creating and maintaining a utopia?

There is an ending to this book that was one that I had hoped wouldn't come to pass, but it is one that had more closure than that of The Giver.

Things to love...

--Seeing Jonas and Gabe again, as well as Matty.
--Being made to really think. I love that!

Things I wanted more/less of...

--More about the gifts. Many of the people of this society have gifts, something we learned about in the second book, but we don't really know much about how these things came to be.

My Recommendation: I think I loved this book almost as much as the first. It should definitely be read after both The Giver and Gathering Blue. ( )
  Kiki870 | Oct 28, 2014 |
A horrible hot, moist, swampy area, is all masked by the sounds of laughter and music. That is all gone now, due to trade mart. Trade mart is an event that occurs once a month, and it changes people for the worse. Matty, a positive, healthy young man has a gift of healing any wound. He keeps this a secret from Village, where that is forbidden. After those affected by Trade Mart decide to close the gate of the entrance of Village, the whole purpose of Village was to welcome those to a better life, Matty sets out on a quest to find Kira, Seer’s daughter, to bring her back to Village before the gates close. With Leader advising him of the dangers of the forest, and how it is “thickening”, Matty faces struggles in getting to Kira, where his secret gift might come into hand.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, The Messenger, by Lois Lowry. The plot was intriguing with its suspenseful and interesting plot. This sci-fi’s theme is confidence, where speaking your mind and sticking up to what is wrong is demonstrated through the events of Trade Mart, where the people change. The author’s sequence of events was well placed, and the character developement of Matty’s selfish yet kind perspective is realistic. ( )
  AlFaBr14 | Sep 29, 2014 |
The third book in the series, "Messenger" examines the cost of temptation with the "Trade Master". What part of yourself would you be willing to trade for something else? Those things, attributes that make us who we are cannot easily be separated from one another. Lois Lowry describes the awareness of one's life purpose or special gift, and the way in which the purpose/gift is linked to everything else that makes us who we are. ( )
  AmberEgan | Aug 24, 2014 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:58 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,727,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible