Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lois Lowry

Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2004), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 176 pages
Collections:Your library, Young Adult
Tags:fiction, young adult, futuristic, book 3, magical, Matty, Kira

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (111)  Italian (1)  All languages (112)
Messenger is faster paced, I feel, than the previous two books. It also has more graphic violence (albeit caused by setting), which for me was difficult to stomach, but was nevertheless not as bad as a lot of the action-heavy YA books published more recently.

But I really liked it. Lowry's elegant writing, characters I care about, a very well-built world. I also loved the way it tied together [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver #1)|Lois Lowry|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234] and [b:Gathering Blue|12936|Gathering Blue (The Giver #2)|Lois Lowry|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388195391s/12936.jpg|2134456]. I hadn't realized until I read this book just how much I love Jonas, and I'm so glad he's featured pretty prominently here. (Though of course I loved Jonas in The Giver, sometimes it's easy to forget because there's so much to admire in that book.)

Anyway--the ending was a little abrupt, but it still worked, and I liked it. If anything, my main criticism is that I feel like Lowry built so much conflict that this book really could have been longer and deeper. I'm torn between whether I'm glad that Lowry approached it in her signature way--simply, with nothing overstated, which I love--or whether I wish she had taken the risk to explore the themes in more depth.

Either way, another great book by Lois Lowry. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
Not a bad book, but it doesn't really compare with The Giver. And maybe I'm just reading these too fast, but this thing with the Forest attacking just seems weird. Maybe it all comes together in Son. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 27, 2015 |
This book starts out more hopeful than Gathering Blue, and that outlook was enough to suck me into the story. Matty, the tyke from the second book, is back and is one syllable older. He lives in a new village with Kira's father, Seer. Their village takes in those who escape other communities and need a place to feel welcome. But even this village can't stay perfect: people begin trading parts of their inner selves for petty or materialistic things, which makes the community very inhospitable. The citizens vote to close off the village to any more newcomers, but Matty and Seer know that Kira needs to come soon if she is going to live with them like she promised. Matty, who is on a quest to become Messenger, travels to lead Kira back, but the forest, like the community, has become very angry towards others. There is only one way Matty can help the community and those he loves within it.
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Sequel to The Giver and Gathering Blue, in which the two very separate stories of those books are linked together. Matty is one of few people in Village who dare to venture through Forest to reach other settlements. He is waiting for his True Name to be announced by Leader, and more than a little anxious about what it might be. At the end of a long journey he finally receives his True Name. There are lots of coming-of-age themes, with a particular focus on following ones true character and calling. It's another thought provoking book beautifully written for a young audience. ( )
  eclecticdodo | Oct 16, 2015 |
This was an incredible merging of the characters and themes explored in the predecessors The Giver and Gathering Blue. It was rather short and abrupt with the main conflict(s) remaining very shrouded in mystery, but even still, I'm glad to have continued the journeys of Jonas, Matty, and Kira. ( )
  benuathanasia | Oct 5, 2015 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.
This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,855,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible