Tree in the Trail by Holling C. Holling

Tree in the Trail (original 1942; edition 1990)

by Holling C. Holling (Author)

The history of the Great Plains and the Santa Fe Trail is told in text and pictures by focusing on a cottonwood tree and the events that happen around it.
Member:malf1976
Title:Tree in the Trail
Authors:Holling C. Holling (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (1990), Edition: Reprint, 64 pages

Tree in the Trail by Holling C. Holling (1942)

NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
An appealing way to learn history and geography. This one centers around a tree growing on the Santa Fe trail and the people and history that surround it. Holling's books have wonderful illustrations and are not to be missed. ( )
  wunderlong88 | Oct 11, 2017 |
Another lovely book by Holling C Holling. It wasn't quite as endearing as some of his books we have read in the past but it was sweet nonetheless. And we enjoyed the geography and history of the Santa Fe trail. ( )
  momma2 | Jul 14, 2011 |
I purchased this for my four year old son, who thoroughly enjoyed Paddle-to-the-Sea, because the setting is practically in our backyard. Both he and his sister have enjoyed this book a few chapters at a time (chapters are a page long, with pictures for each chapter). I am surprised that the book has held their attention for so long, and I'm fascinated how many recurring concepts they have identified, like the great lakes, St. Louis, the introduction of horses from Spain, Conestoga wagons, and so on. I would definitely recommend this book, along with other Holling books.
2 vote mebrock | May 13, 2008 |
To
VIRGINIA ANN HUTCHISON
This book was begun under the California oaks of El Ranchito con el Valle Escondido - 'The Little Ranch with the Hidden Valley' - of her father. But El Ranchito is not the only link between Virginia Ann and these pages. Her Great-Grandfather, when a young man, traveled to the West with the covered wagons over the Santa Fe Trail. A kindly Indian saved his life when he was wounded by a Comanche arrow. And he lived to marry a beautiful Spanish maiden in the South West.
An Indian boy and his uncle, a scout of the Kansas tribe, followed an ancient buffalo trail up a low hill.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,583,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible