The Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley

The Seer and the Sword (2000)

by Victoria Hanley

Series: The Seer and the Sword (1)

I really wish that I could go back to the first time I read this book and write a review, but that was before I wrote reviews. Now I've read it so many times I don't even know where to begin or what to write. This book is the only one that rivals Harry Potter with the number of times that I've read it, so I highly suggest that you read it. ( )
  NicoleSch | Jun 1, 2016 |
Princess Torina's father conquers the peaceful kingdom of Bellandra and takes with him two presents for her: a seer crystal and the Bellandran prince to be her slave. Torina immediately frees the prince, Landen, who becomes her friend and archery-tutor. When the chief adviser murders the king and tries to marry Torina, Torina's skill with the seer crystal and Landen's loyalty keep her relatively safe. Torina and Landen flee the kingdom on opposite trajectories: Landen becomes the leader of a sort of state-sponsored band of Merry Men, while Torina makes a quiet life for herself in the country. Eventually, prompted by their consciences, both Torina and Landen independently seek to help the High King against treachery and invasion. In so doing they not only save many kingdoms, but they also find each other once more.

A sweet tale, but I was frustrated by how resistant Landen and Torina were to revealing their true identities. Long after they should have told the High King who they were, each of them remained obstinately silent; a good portion of the Vesputo's plots would have been prevented if either (or both!) of them had revealed themselves. The book is plagued with annoyances like that, and by a distressing choice to repeatedly skip over very interesting sections of Torina and Landen's lives with just a quick summary. Landen leads an entire band of former thieves that once tried to kill him in gladiatorial games! That should get us at least a paragraph or two, instead of a quick mention of it! Anyway, it's overall a fine adventure with a nice anti-war message, and it was a good enough yarn that I read it in a single evening rather than put it down. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Great book. Seems like most dislikes have rated it derivative. Could be, I didn't think so, and more importantly. It had story that kept moving. A lot happens in this short book. I found it very rewarding.

Worth a try. ( )
  MattMattYS | Nov 2, 2015 |
I had expected more from this book, that's why I was kind of disappointed by the outcome of the novel.The romance between our two main characters is pretty much nonexistent. Is it possible for one to fall in love 200 pages later? In fact, I would think the book would be better off without the romance element since it made the whole story unnatural. Characterization, to be honest, is sorely lacking in the seer and the sword. Vesputo (what a name!) for instance, is portrayed in such an evil way that he almost seemed comical. I also did not like Torina at first, being the spoiled, ungrateful brat that she is; and I still didn't like her towards the end- even if she had changed into a better person. The only slightly likable person in the novel was Landen, no matter how unlikely his feelings for Torina was.I felt the book could have done better. The setting was good and the idea was there. It only lacked proper execution and three dimensional characters.Sad to say, this is one of those book that I do not plan on reading again. ( )
  abigailyow | Jan 29, 2012 |
Disappointing. I so wanted to love this book because it’s exactly my kind of story, but the execution is a major fail. The whole story is extremely predictable, and I have to say that I disliked every single character in it, especially the hero and heroine. Such a boring pair!

*PT* http://cuidadocomodalmata.wordpress.com/2011/12/25/the-seer-and-the-sword/ ( )
  Jen7waters | Dec 25, 2011 |

Victoria Hanleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miller, IanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schart Hyman, TrinaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my children, Emrys and Rose
In the castle of Archeld, Queen Dreea sat at her loom.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440229774, Mass Market Paperback)

Legend states that there exists a mighty sword that makes its possessor invincible to his enemies. But there is a curse on anyone who lifts the sword for conquest. King Kareed of Archeld goes after this sword anyway, winning it from the King of Bellandra. When he returns home from battle, he brings his daughter, Princess Torina, two special gifts. One is a unique crystal, in which she can view visions of the future. The other gift is the defeated king’s son Landen, who is to be her slave. Torina immediately releases Landen, who becomes a member of the King’s army and her close friend.
But trouble is lurking in the kingdom of Archeld and people are accusing Landen of plotting against the King. Torina refuses to believe he would hurt her family. Then Torina begins seeing deadly visions in her crystal. Can she save her father’s life and the future of her kingdom?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Princess Torina, who has the ability to see the future, and her friend Landen, who seeks a sword that belongs to his conquered kingdom, are separated when a treacherous murderer gains power, but from exile each works to restore peace and the rightful rulers.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,650,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible