Life on Wheels: The A to Z Guide to Living…

Life on Wheels: The A to Z Guide to Living Fully with Mobility Issues

by Gary Karp

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a well-organized guide that will be useful to persons with disabilities as well as to those who work with disabled populations. ( )
  JaynePupek | Oct 25, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Life on Wheels is a well-written and easy to read guide through the many levels and phases an individual or family may experience for those who use a wheelchair. The book's eight chapters range from the initial phase of Rehabilitation,(Chapter 1) thru Getting Out There in Chapter 8.

Discussion of health concerns ranging from strains, pain, and nutrition to more serious interventions. in Healthy Disability (Chapter 2) offers information and guidance for a wide audience in quick and easy access language -- especially helpful for family members. Chapter 3: The Experience of Disability would be useful for anyone to read to gain a better understanding and appreciation for the personal dynamics that a person in a wheelchair can experience personally and in interaction with others. Chapter 4 provides practical advice on Wheelchair Selection. Chapter 5 handles the topics of Intimacy, Sex, and Babies in a practical and sensitive manner.

The riskiest part of the book is Chapter 6: Spinal Cord Research because it is an area that can only be discussed briefly and needs additional resources for updates. I would recommend web site examples and some discussion of web search terms to aid those who wish to explore the various research options. While there are some websites in the Resources appendix it is organized differently that the chapters.

Chapters 7 and 8 offer good practical advice for making life a little easier to manage and enjoy.

I recommend this book and would encourage others to read it even if this is not a current concern. ( )
  esm07 | Jul 29, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a valuable resource to people living with mobility issues. Not only does it have chapters that deal with specific elements of dealing with a disability, but it also has lists of outside sources in the back to further help any one who may need it. The book has a lot of quotations, either from other authors or works on the topic or from individuals themselves, which gives the book a conversational tone. It does seem to focus more on spinal cord injuries than other causes of disability, but it still provides information that is very useful. ( )
  S0PHIE8 | Jul 13, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought this book was very well written and could be immensely helpful for individuals starting their life on wheels. The book contains answers to questions you never would have thought to ask and covers all sorts of topics…even Zen wheeling! However, this book may not be the most appropriate book for all individuals in a wheelchair, as the book is geared towards individuals who have spinal cord injuries. ( )
  tcrutch | May 23, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a deeply inspiring book. The author has revised this title into a second edition ten years after its first appearance. It's truly a resource book; I live with a mobility impairment, and with a 90-year-old whose mobility is decreasing; and this book, though not aimed at either of us, was so affirming of the value of life lived with far more severe impediments to mobility that I was cheered by it every time I picked it up.

Consider what I just said a moment. A book aimed at the newly paraplegic or quadriplegic, acknowledging their feelings and issues, is written in such a way as neither to depress or affront a fully abled person by its frankness and its positivity. Karp never cheerleads. That is a fatal flaw in a motivator. He does exhort, but he does so from the standpoint of a person who has traveled this road he's showing the reader since he was a vogorous 18-year-old changed by an injury into a paraplegic. He isn't anything different from anyone else you know; and that's his lesson to the newly wheeled: Neither are you. You're a person, act like one! I reduce his arguments to their absurdest simplicity for a review. His explanations and lessons are far more nuanced and absosrbing than I can convey to you in a review.

I like Gary Karp. I like his warmth and his humor and his intelligence. I'd like to have him and his second wife over for dinner. I can't imagine that a chair would make a difference to the wonderful evening I expect we'd have.

And that's exactly the message he's after sending. Read this book if someone you know has a spinal injury, BEFORE you say anything thoughtless. Read this book if someone you know is living on wheels. Read this book if you are at all interested in what the world looks like from waist height. You will not be sorry that you made the effort. ( )
2 vote richardderus | Feb 11, 2009 |

There are 1.7 million regular wheelchair users in the United State. Like anyone else, they work, marry, have children, travel, play sports, and are full members of their community. Life on Wheels makes sure they take full advantage of every available opportunity. It is the A-Z guide for all you need to know about every aspect of living with mobility impairment. This unique book offers an initial road map to the lifelong, complex, and fascinating road of the disability experience.… (more)

Demos Health

An edition of this book was published by Demos Health.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Life on Wheels: The A to Z Guide to Living Fully with Mobility Issues by Gary Karp was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,788,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible