The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

The Woman in Black (original 1983; edition 1997)

by Susan Hill

Member:kiwidoc
Title:The Woman in Black
Authors:Susan Hill
Info:
Collections:Read in 2009, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction. English.

The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill (1983)

Recently added bygeebyrd, arenie5000, goaskjane, private library, hkevans1434, NghtStlkr64, swantonlibrary, pcurl
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (kraaivrouw, Jannes)
    Jannes: No sure if it is a coincidence, but the two perhaps best ghost stories ever written are both by women, in a genre otherwise mostly dominated by men. Both are superb explorations of death, loss, fear, and all those other elementsthat make up the good supernatural tales.… (more)
    The Turn of the Screw, and In the Cage by Henry James (bookworm12)
    The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill (jm501)
    The Small Hand by Susan Hill (jm501)
    The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons (sturlington)
    Waltz into Darkness (Crime, Penguin) by Cornell Woolrich (cometahalley)
    The Ghost Writer by John Harwood (madamlibbytellsall)
    The Memory Game by Nicci French (cometahalley)

English (148)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (151)
Head over to my blog, Opinions of a Bookaholic, to read the in-depth review for this book! http://opinionsofabookaholic.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-woman-in-black-susan-hill.... ( )
  M_Sawtelle | Apr 6, 2016 |
pretty good, lots of descriptions of the landscape ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Very well written as a great page turner, but I think my proper knowledge and expectations of the ghost story let the book down. I wanted it to be scarier, terrifying even, but it lacked bite. ( )
  ellohull | Feb 10, 2016 |
The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
160 pages

★★★

As a previous paranormal investigator and historian, and experiencing creepy things along the way, I’m always looking for a spooky ghost story that will chill me to the bone. While this book had creepy parts, I wouldn’t say it frightened me too much (although, listening to it at 2:30am in the dark made it a bit scarier I admit). It’s a more subdued ghost story than many that are in-your-face scary. I found it more sad than frightening. But regardless of that, I thought this was a really well written book. Susan Hill is great at descriptive writing. I listened to the audio version but either way it is a quick read coming in at 160 pages (or about 4 hours in audio version). Worth a read. Now I will watch the movie, starring Daniel Radcliffe, out of curiosity.
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Great, atmospheric story.
Having seen the film the ending was a little spoiled but if I hadn't seen the movie I would have not expected the climax.
Without being over the top the book creates excellent suspense - I enjoyed it! ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
I love this style of writing... very detailed and descriptive. Although some of our students have said that they had a hard time getting through the first few chapters, I was immediately captivated.

Susan Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klingberg, OlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawrence, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Pat and Charles Gardner
It was nine-thirty on Christmas Eve.
But gradually I discovered for myself the truth of the axiom that a man cannot remain indefinitely in a state of active terror. Either the emotion will increase until, at the prompting of more and more dreadful events and apprehensions, he is so overcome by it that he runs away or goes mad; or he will become by slow degrees less agitated and more in possession of himself.
A man may be accused of cowardice for fleeing away from all manner of physical dangers but when things supernatural, insubstantial and inexplicable threaten not only his safety and well-being but his sanity, his innermost soul, then retreat is not a sign of weakness but the most prudent course.

Arthur Kipps in an up-and-coming London solicitor who is sent to Crythin Gifford-a faraway town in the windswept salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway-to attend the funeral and settle the affairs of a client. Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. Mrs. Drablow's house stands at the end of the causeway, wreathed in fog and mystyery, but Kipps is unaware of the tragic secrets that lie hidden behind its sheltered windows. The routine business trip he anticipated quickly takes a horrifying turn when he finds himself haunted by a series of mysterious sounds and images-a rocking chair in a deserted nursery, the eerie sound of a pony and trap, a child's scream in the fog, and, most terrifying of all, a ghostly woman dressed in black. (96780307950215)

A classic ghost story: the chilling tale of a menacing specter haunting a small English town. Arthur Kipps is an up-and-coming London solicitor who is sent to Crythin Gifford--a faraway town in the windswept salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway--to attend the funeral and settle the affairs of a client, Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. Mrs. Drablow's house stands at the end of the causeway, wreathed in fog and mystery, but Kipps is unaware of the tragic secrets that lie hidden behind its sheltered windows. The routine business trip he anticipated quickly takes a horrifying turn when he finds himself haunted by a series of mysterious sounds and images--a rocking chair in a deserted nursery, the eerie sound of a pony and trap, a child's scream in the fog, and, most terrifying of all, a ghostly woman dressed all in black.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

Proud and solitary, Eel Marsh House surveys the windswept reaches of the salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway. Arthur Kipps, a junior solicitor, is summoned to attend the funeral of Mrs Alice Drablow, the house's sole inhabitant, unaware of the tragic secrets which lie hidden behind the shutttered windows.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,260,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible