The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan…

The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story (original 1983; edition 2012)

by Susan Hill

Member:Meredy
Title:The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story
Authors:Susan Hill
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Read but never owned, SJPL
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, suspense

The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill (1983)

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (kraaivrouw, Jannes)
    Jannes: No sure if it is a coincidence, but the two perhaps best ghost stories ever written are both by women, in a genre otherwise mostly dominated by men. Both are superb explorations of death, loss, fear, and all those other elementsthat make up the good supernatural tales.… (more)
    The Turn of the Screw, and In the Cage by Henry James (bookworm12)
    The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill (jm501)
    The Small Hand by Susan Hill (jm501)
    The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons (sturlington)
    Waltz into Darkness by Cornell Woolrich (cometahalley)
    The Ghost Writer by John Harwood (madamlibbytellsall)
    The Memory Game by Nicci French (cometahalley)

English (157)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (160)
A good, classic ghost story. Enjoyable. ( )
  bugs5 | Sep 18, 2016 |
Very chilling until the end... The ending could have been seen 10 miles away and coming for you like a speeding train. But so could most of the spooky parts, I suppose. The movie version has a lot of room for interpretation. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Oh my god.

ohohohoho. This book.

It terrified me. It outright chilled me to my core. Do you know what happened when I got to the last few pages of this book? I threw it across the room and screamed. I went downstairs and gave it to my mum because I didn't want it sitting on my shelf anymore.

... that aside, I think it's very interesting that quite a few people on Goodreads don't like this book as much as I thought they would have. I remember really enjoying some of the lines and passages in this book. I loved how she described the environment and made the house a character. (I love it anytime anyone does that and does it well, who am I kidding?)

Quite a few people say they felt Hill didn't give enough information about the woman in black, and I understand that - but I felt like not-knowing, or not always knowing, made it a more suspenseful story.

And I have to rate this book well. It got such a strong reaction out of me, and that is hard to do. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Well written.Creepy story,perfect for Halloween. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
The best ghost story I've read. Creepy and devastating. ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
I love this style of writing... very detailed and descriptive. Although some of our students have said that they had a hard time getting through the first few chapters, I was immediately captivated.

Susan Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klingberg, OlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawrence, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Pat and Charles Gardner
It was nine-thirty on Christmas Eve.
But gradually I discovered for myself the truth of the axiom that a man cannot remain indefinitely in a state of active terror. Either the emotion will increase until, at the prompting of more and more dreadful events and apprehensions, he is so overcome by it that he runs away or goes mad; or he will become by slow degrees less agitated and more in possession of himself.
A man may be accused of cowardice for fleeing away from all manner of physical dangers but when things supernatural, insubstantial and inexplicable threaten not only his safety and well-being but his sanity, his innermost soul, then retreat is not a sign of weakness but the most prudent course.

Arthur Kipps in an up-and-coming London solicitor who is sent to Crythin Gifford-a faraway town in the windswept salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway-to attend the funeral and settle the affairs of a client. Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. Mrs. Drablow's house stands at the end of the causeway, wreathed in fog and mystyery, but Kipps is unaware of the tragic secrets that lie hidden behind its sheltered windows. The routine business trip he anticipated quickly takes a horrifying turn when he finds himself haunted by a series of mysterious sounds and images-a rocking chair in a deserted nursery, the eerie sound of a pony and trap, a child's scream in the fog, and, most terrifying of all, a ghostly woman dressed in black. (96780307950215)

A classic ghost story: the chilling tale of a menacing specter haunting a small English town. Arthur Kipps is an up-and-coming London solicitor who is sent to Crythin Gifford--a faraway town in the windswept salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway--to attend the funeral and settle the affairs of a client, Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. Mrs. Drablow's house stands at the end of the causeway, wreathed in fog and mystery, but Kipps is unaware of the tragic secrets that lie hidden behind its sheltered windows. The routine business trip he anticipated quickly takes a horrifying turn when he finds himself haunted by a series of mysterious sounds and images--a rocking chair in a deserted nursery, the eerie sound of a pony and trap, a child's scream in the fog, and, most terrifying of all, a ghostly woman dressed all in black.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

Arthur Kipps, a young solicitor, travels to the north of England to settle the estate of Alice Drablow, but unexpectedly encounters a series of sinster events.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,183,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible