Rapunzel by Paul O. Zelinsky

Rapunzel (1812)

by Paul O. Zelinsky

The Twelve Dancing Princesses by Ruth Sanderson (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: Another retold classic fairy tale with beautiful illustrations.

Summary: A selfish sorceress keeps long-haired young Rapunzel locked away in a tower until a prince happens by. The sorceress prevents the girl's rescue in such a way that she cuts her magical hair and leaves Rapunzel exiled and the prince blind.
Person reflection: great illustration
Classroom use: yes ( )
  rwoody | Dec 4, 2014 |
This book is the story of a girl who gets trapped in a tower and is found by a prince. This story is a great traditional tale because it shows various types of love that are shown. This can help children to see that there is hope for the future. This book would be for grades 3-4.
  lauramaki | Oct 22, 2014 |
Rapunzel as re-told by Paul Zelinsky
Summary:
This is a classic story based on the Grimm’s’ fairy tales. In this a woman is pregnant and craves a specific herb in a forbidden garden. The herb is called Rapunzel. Because of her intense craving she must bargain with an evil sorceress for the Rapunzel. She gives birth and the evil sorceress takes the baby and names her Rapunzel. She takes Rapunzel into seclusion where she sees no once but the sorceress. A price discovers the tower where she lives and finds his way in. They fall in love and get married secretly. Then Rapunzel gets pregnant and the sorceress finds out and banishes her to the forest. The prince eventually finds her although he is blinded by the evil sorceress as a punishment for marrying Rapunzel. Rapunzel cries for him and her tears fall in his eyes and magically heals him. They returned to the kingdom and lived happily ever after with their family.

Personal Reaction:
This is the first time I was exposed to any Rapunzel story other than the Disney version on Tangled. I found it so interesting that there was an actual herb that was called Rapunzel. I actually looked it up on Google with my daughter and now we are both interested in tasting the herb. I’m glad I chose this book to review as a part of my classical literature collection.

Classroom Extension:
1. In the classroom, I would read the story to the students and have them then draw a picture of Rapunzel’s tower. It would be interesting to see what each students interpretation of the tower would be.
2. Planning ahead a teacher could actually get the herb Rapunzel and have the students taste it. Then use that experience as a creative writing assignment.
  km057441 | Sep 12, 2014 |
Zelinsky retold and illustrated this book beautifully. This classic tale is a great bedtime story for little ones. Who doesn't love a happy ending?
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
This is an old story that we have all heard before, and not one that I even particularly like, but the illustrations are what this book is all about. Each page is a masterpiece, these pictures look like they were pulled from the walls of a museum. They are detailed and make masterful use of color, but are still stylized. This is a book where one could look at the pictures again and again and still not note all the detail. Gorgeous. ( )
  mccooln | Jun 8, 2014 |
I lovingly dedicate this book to my family—Anna, Rachel, and Deborah
Long ago, there lived a man and a woman who had no children.
Two of her tears fell on his eyes, and suddenly he could see as well as ever.
When she reached the age of twelve, the sorceress led her into the forest to live in a high tower.
[Zelinsky Edition]

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0525456074, Hardcover)

In older versions of the classic tale Rapunzel, it always seemed improbable that a grown man could scale a tower using only his beloved's hair. Not so in Paul O. Zelinsky's Caldecott Medal-winning version of Rapunzel. Here, Rapunzel's reddish-blonde mane is thick with waves and braids, and cascades like a waterfall down the walls of her isolation tower. In Zelinsky's able hands it's easy to believe that a prince would harbor no hesitations about scrambling up our fair heroine's hair.

Of course, this is not the work of an amateur--Zelinsky's lush versions of Hansel and Gretel, Rumpelstiltskin, and Swamp Angel all earned him Caldecott Honors. His gorgeous, Italian Renaissance-styled illustrations are characterized by warm golden tones and the mesmerizing sensation of trompe l'oeuil. Not only does he have the touch of a world-class illustrator, Zelinsky has also proven himself a master storyteller. We are frightened when the sorceress demands to take the baby Rapunzel, we are alarmed when the flowing locks are cruelly shorn, and we rejoice when the prince and his now modest-haired love are reunited. The notes at the back of Rapunzel reveal his careful scholarship regarding the long history of the story (tracing its origins and transformations from Italy to France and finally to Germany and the Grimm brothers)--work that no doubt contributed to his clean, compelling version of the age-old tale. Children will be captivated by the magical story and evocative pictures and adults will delight in the fresh feel of a well-loved legend. (Click to see a sample spread. Illustration © 1997 by Paul O. Zelinsky, published by Dutton Children's Books, a division of Penguin Putnam Books for Young Readers.) (Ages 4 and older)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:31 -0400)

A retelling of a folktale in which a beautiful girl with long golden hair is kept imprisoned in a lonely tower by a sorceress. Includes a note on the origins of the story.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,379,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible