Rapunzel (Picture Puffin Books) by Brothers…

Rapunzel (Picture Puffin Books) (original 1812; edition 2002)

by Brothers Grimm, Paul O. Zelinsky (Adapter), Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)

1,2091526,612 (4.07)10
Member:chermom5
Title:Rapunzel (Picture Puffin Books)
Authors:Brothers Grimm (Author)
Other authors:Paul O. Zelinsky (Adapter), Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (2002), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:Traditional Literature, Folktale

Rapunzel by Paul O. Zelinsky (1812)

The Twelve Dancing Princesses by Ruth Sanderson (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: Another retold classic fairy tale with beautiful illustrations.

I would use this book as a readers theatre in the 5th-6th grade. I would use it in these grades because I think the kids would be old enough to take it seriously and create their own readers theatre out of this book. ( )
  SarahSangalli | Apr 26, 2016 |
Brothers Grimm and fabulous illustrations. The only reason that this isn't a five is because the idea of someone using my hair to climb up always makes my head hurt. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
This book would be good for creating a readers theatre. It would be good for introducing fairy tales and their characteristics.
  whitneyosborne | Mar 26, 2016 |
I would use this book in a second, third or fourth grade classroom. I would use this book at these grade levels even though it is a fairy tale because it is a slightly scarier version of Rapunzel that wouldn't be well suited for lower grade levels. This would be a good independent reading book mainly for second graders. this book would especially stand out to girls because it is a fairy tale and it connects to the movie tangled. ( )
  LRetzlaff | Mar 8, 2016 |
I lovingly dedicate this book to my family—Anna, Rachel, and Deborah
Long ago, there lived a man and a woman who had no children.
Two of her tears fell on his eyes, and suddenly he could see as well as ever.
When she reached the age of twelve, the sorceress led her into the forest to live in a high tower.
[Zelinsky Edition]

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0525456074, Hardcover)

In older versions of the classic tale Rapunzel, it always seemed improbable that a grown man could scale a tower using only his beloved's hair. Not so in Paul O. Zelinsky's Caldecott Medal-winning version of Rapunzel. Here, Rapunzel's reddish-blonde mane is thick with waves and braids, and cascades like a waterfall down the walls of her isolation tower. In Zelinsky's able hands it's easy to believe that a prince would harbor no hesitations about scrambling up our fair heroine's hair.

Of course, this is not the work of an amateur--Zelinsky's lush versions of Hansel and Gretel, Rumpelstiltskin, and Swamp Angel all earned him Caldecott Honors. His gorgeous, Italian Renaissance-styled illustrations are characterized by warm golden tones and the mesmerizing sensation of trompe l'oeuil. Not only does he have the touch of a world-class illustrator, Zelinsky has also proven himself a master storyteller. We are frightened when the sorceress demands to take the baby Rapunzel, we are alarmed when the flowing locks are cruelly shorn, and we rejoice when the prince and his now modest-haired love are reunited. The notes at the back of Rapunzel reveal his careful scholarship regarding the long history of the story (tracing its origins and transformations from Italy to France and finally to Germany and the Grimm brothers)--work that no doubt contributed to his clean, compelling version of the age-old tale. Children will be captivated by the magical story and evocative pictures and adults will delight in the fresh feel of a well-loved legend. (Click to see a sample spread. Illustration © 1997 by Paul O. Zelinsky, published by Dutton Children's Books, a division of Penguin Putnam Books for Young Readers.) (Ages 4 and older)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:07 -0400)

A retelling of a folktale in which a beautiful girl with long golden hair is kept imprisoned in a lonely tower by a sorceress. Includes a note on the origins of the story.

105 wanted2 pay1 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible