Rapunzel (Picture Puffin Books) by Brothers…

Rapunzel (Picture Puffin Books) (original 1812; edition 2002)

by Brothers Grimm, Paul O. Zelinsky (Adapter), Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)

Member:chermom5
Title:Rapunzel (Picture Puffin Books)
Authors:Brothers Grimm (Author)
Other authors:Paul O. Zelinsky (Adapter), Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (2002), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:Traditional Literature, Folktale

Rapunzel by Paul O. Zelinsky (1812)

The Twelve Dancing Princesses by Ruth Sanderson (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: Another retold classic fairy tale with beautiful illustrations.

Beautiful paintings accompany the traditional story of Rapunzel, her kidnapping by an evil sorceress, and her forbidden love with a prince.
  TammyBB | Jul 30, 2016 |
Summary: This is a fairy tale about a young girl, forced to be given to a mean witch, as payback for stolen herbs from her garden....a rather hefty price to pay, I'd say!

Personal Reaction: I am a fan of Rapunzel. She escapes the clutches and imprisonment of the old witch. She wins her Prince in the end! And she's so inspiring that her tears of joy even cause him to get his sight back! What could be more joyous?

Classroom Extensions: I would try to show them a video demonstrate rope climbing (I'd rather not risk a live-action DEMO). I'd explain that pulling one's self up is harder than it looks. Then, I'd talk about how realistic it may or may not be, to use one's hair to sustain an adult's body weight.

Classroom Extensions: Using yellow-gold yarn, weave several heavy-duty strands, together, in a standard braid fashion to demonstrate braiding but to also show them how its done and see the strength of it....(artistic, manual dexterity, everyone working together)
  Dowrox | Jul 11, 2016 |
Rapunzel is retold and illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky. His retelling of the story is absolutely marvelous and full of wonderful details. It is not a quick bedtime read as there is quite a bit of text to go with each illustration but it is definitely a mesmerizing read that once you start you do not want to stop. I find the illustrations captivating with their beautiful intricate Italian style. I love to spend time looking at each page and wish I could step into the rooms and landscapes depicted in the illustrations. This is a family favorite that we own and is often read. It is 48 pages long and is a Caldecott Medal Winner.
  jmjobes | Jul 6, 2016 |
This is a beautifully illustrated retelling of Rapunzel. The illustrations beg to be lingered over.
  rachel.mcconville | Jun 30, 2016 |
This edition of the classic tale is particularly recommended, and the illustrations are lovely and apt. If it's the only edition you'll share with your child, fine. If you're looking for a fresh adaptation of the story, meh (although finally we realize her scalp didn't get pulled off because she wound her hair 'round a hook). If you're a scholar or completist, Zelinsky's endnotes are illuminating. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I lovingly dedicate this book to my family—Anna, Rachel, and Deborah
Long ago, there lived a man and a woman who had no children.
Two of her tears fell on his eyes, and suddenly he could see as well as ever.
When she reached the age of twelve, the sorceress led her into the forest to live in a high tower.
[Zelinsky Edition]

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0525456074, Hardcover)

In older versions of the classic tale Rapunzel, it always seemed improbable that a grown man could scale a tower using only his beloved's hair. Not so in Paul O. Zelinsky's Caldecott Medal-winning version of Rapunzel. Here, Rapunzel's reddish-blonde mane is thick with waves and braids, and cascades like a waterfall down the walls of her isolation tower. In Zelinsky's able hands it's easy to believe that a prince would harbor no hesitations about scrambling up our fair heroine's hair.

Of course, this is not the work of an amateur--Zelinsky's lush versions of Hansel and Gretel, Rumpelstiltskin, and Swamp Angel all earned him Caldecott Honors. His gorgeous, Italian Renaissance-styled illustrations are characterized by warm golden tones and the mesmerizing sensation of trompe l'oeuil. Not only does he have the touch of a world-class illustrator, Zelinsky has also proven himself a master storyteller. We are frightened when the sorceress demands to take the baby Rapunzel, we are alarmed when the flowing locks are cruelly shorn, and we rejoice when the prince and his now modest-haired love are reunited. The notes at the back of Rapunzel reveal his careful scholarship regarding the long history of the story (tracing its origins and transformations from Italy to France and finally to Germany and the Grimm brothers)--work that no doubt contributed to his clean, compelling version of the age-old tale. Children will be captivated by the magical story and evocative pictures and adults will delight in the fresh feel of a well-loved legend. (Click to see a sample spread. Illustration © 1997 by Paul O. Zelinsky, published by Dutton Children's Books, a division of Penguin Putnam Books for Young Readers.) (Ages 4 and older)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:07 -0400)

A retelling of a folktale in which a beautiful girl with long golden hair is kept imprisoned in a lonely tower by a sorceress. Includes a note on the origins of the story.

94 wanted2 pay1 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,422,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible