Rapunzel (Picture Puffin Books) by Brothers…

Rapunzel (Picture Puffin Books) (original 1812; edition 2002)

by Brothers Grimm, Paul O. Zelinsky (Adapter), Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)

Member:chermom5
Title:Rapunzel (Picture Puffin Books)
Authors:Brothers Grimm (Author)
Other authors:Paul O. Zelinsky (Adapter), Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (2002), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:Traditional Literature, Folktale

Rapunzel by Paul O. Zelinsky (1812)

The Twelve Dancing Princesses by Ruth Sanderson (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: Another retold classic fairy tale with beautiful illustrations.

Winner of the 1998 Caldecott Medal. Illustrations reminiscent of Italian Renaissance, and each one had a very mature feel. Well, all except the one where the sorceress is climbing Rapunzel's hair and she's trying to hitch her leg up onto the window. That one actually made me laugh out loud because of the expression on the witch's face. This retelling was a blend of Italian, French and German versions, and I appreciated that Zelinsky included a brief discussion on the origins and evolution of the tale at the end of the book. It was mentioned that the parents looked for her right after she was taken, but then they're not mentioned again. Rapunzel referred to the sorceress as "Stepmother" at one point, I wondered why. The ending was familiar. Overall, the tone was just a tad too grown-up for me. That might've been because of the artwork.

I loved that Rapunzel had a Siamese cat in the tower with her and, when Rapunzel was banished, the cat went with her.

3 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Apr 20, 2015 |
This is a retold folk tale, originally from Germany before it was hijacked by the brothers Grimm. Rapunzel is about a girl whose parents stole the herb rapunzel from a sorceress's garden to satisfy her pregnant mother's cravings, and when the sorceress caught them, demanded the child in return. Rapunzel grew up with the sorceress and Rapunzel's hair grew long and glorious, then the sorceress locked Rapunzel in a high tower with no doors or ladder, and would simply call "Rapunzel, let down your hair!" in order to get up. When a prince finds her and they fall in love, everything is fine until the sorceress finds out, and then she goes for revenge. This story is told differently in this version than I have otherwise heard it. Would be good for a classroom library. ( )
  AmandaLK | Apr 17, 2015 |
This edition of the classic tale is particularly recommended, and the illustrations are lovely and apt. If it's the only edition you'll share with your child, fine. If you're looking for a fresh adaptation of the story, meh (although finally we realize her scalp didn't get pulled off because she wound her hair 'round a hook). If you're a scholar or completist, Zelinsky's endnotes are illuminating. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
"Rapunzel" by Paul O. Zelinsky puts a nice spin to the classic Grimm fairytale of the girl with long golden hair. This book begins with the traditional story of Rapunzel – a man and a woman have a baby but are forced to give her to a witch after they are caught stealing rapunzel from her garden. However, Zelinsky chose to portray the witch as a loving mother-figure rather than as a true, evil, heartless witch. She truly was trying to protect Rapunzel from the world by hiding in the tower, and thought that this was the best way to go about it. However, as in the original, Rapunzel fell in love, secretly married a prince, and became pregnant. The sorceress then cut off all her hair, banished her to the wilderness, and accidently caused the blindness of the prince. The story doesn’t end there though…
My favorite part of this book was the ending, but I’d rather not give it away, so instead, my second favorite part was the portrayal of the witch. The scene where she is carrying Rapunzel from her parents’ house depicts a woman in awe of a new baby – beholding something pure with an expression of peace and joy rather than that of a gloating woman, stealing a child from her parents. The next pictures also show her to have a kind demeanor toward the girl and she seems to find delight in her. Later, when she discovers that Rapunzel is pregnant, she chastises her and shrieks “I thought I had kept you safe, away from the whole world, but you have betrayed me!” This tells us that the actions she took next were done out of anger, fear, and betrayal. Although the sorceress’ final actions were deplorable ones, she really did appear to love Rapunzel and was actually trying to keep her from the evils she knew all too well in the world.
I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys retold fairytales with surprise endings or beautiful artwork to help tell a story. If you like the Disney version of this story, then you will most definitely love this book! ( )
  Miss_Annie_O | Apr 13, 2015 |
A women is carrying a child but craves bush called Rapunzel from a sorceresses garden. Her husband goes to fetch some, and does so the day after. The sorceress catches the man and lets him go but with promise that she will get the child. She takes the child and raises her with love until she becomes of age and puts her in a tower with no doors. One day a prince comes and hears her singing and comes everyday after that until he sees the with call upon her hair. He does the same and they fall in love. When the witch realizes that Rapunzel is with child she cute her hair and banishes her to the desert where she has two sons. The prince comes back to the tower and the with pushes him off which makes him lose his vision with the fall. He roams around until he hears Rapunzels voice, when they find each other his vision is restored and they go back to his kingdom as a family
  Melody.Ryan | Mar 16, 2015 |
I lovingly dedicate this book to my family—Anna, Rachel, and Deborah
Long ago, there lived a man and a woman who had no children.
Two of her tears fell on his eyes, and suddenly he could see as well as ever.
When she reached the age of twelve, the sorceress led her into the forest to live in a high tower.
[Zelinsky Edition]

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0525456074, Hardcover)

In older versions of the classic tale Rapunzel, it always seemed improbable that a grown man could scale a tower using only his beloved's hair. Not so in Paul O. Zelinsky's Caldecott Medal-winning version of Rapunzel. Here, Rapunzel's reddish-blonde mane is thick with waves and braids, and cascades like a waterfall down the walls of her isolation tower. In Zelinsky's able hands it's easy to believe that a prince would harbor no hesitations about scrambling up our fair heroine's hair.

Of course, this is not the work of an amateur--Zelinsky's lush versions of Hansel and Gretel, Rumpelstiltskin, and Swamp Angel all earned him Caldecott Honors. His gorgeous, Italian Renaissance-styled illustrations are characterized by warm golden tones and the mesmerizing sensation of trompe l'oeuil. Not only does he have the touch of a world-class illustrator, Zelinsky has also proven himself a master storyteller. We are frightened when the sorceress demands to take the baby Rapunzel, we are alarmed when the flowing locks are cruelly shorn, and we rejoice when the prince and his now modest-haired love are reunited. The notes at the back of Rapunzel reveal his careful scholarship regarding the long history of the story (tracing its origins and transformations from Italy to France and finally to Germany and the Grimm brothers)--work that no doubt contributed to his clean, compelling version of the age-old tale. Children will be captivated by the magical story and evocative pictures and adults will delight in the fresh feel of a well-loved legend. (Click to see a sample spread. Illustration © 1997 by Paul O. Zelinsky, published by Dutton Children's Books, a division of Penguin Putnam Books for Young Readers.) (Ages 4 and older)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:31 -0400)

A retelling of a folktale in which a beautiful girl with long golden hair is kept imprisoned in a lonely tower by a sorceress. Includes a note on the origins of the story.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,699,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible