Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Neutronium Alchemist, Part 2: Conflict…

The Neutronium Alchemist, Part 2: Conflict

by Peter F. Hamilton

Series: Night's Dawn (2.2)

What can one say about the middle section of one novel? The truth is that The Reality Disfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, and The Naked God are one massive book.

I liked it, but the story was not resolved in any way. ( )
  Hegemellman | Apr 2, 2013 |
(Reviewed June 6, 2008)

I'm really torn with this series. On one hand, the plot is, for the most part, interesting and imaginative, the action set-pieces are absolutely amazing, it's readable and it's fun. On the other hand, the characters are so shallow I had trouble telling them apart (he has three types of character: stereotype, archetype and cliché), it's imperialistic, sexist, and verging on racist, but worst of all, it seems to be propaganda for Christianity. Get this: the main character is named Joshua Calvert, and literally every character falls in love with him the moment they hear of him. Oy. Not to mention the fact that every disbelieving character seems to grudgingly accept that they're probably wrong, and that the Christians probably were right all along.

I still have the final book to go, and I am actually looking forward to it (it really is fun to read despite the negatives), but I have this terrible sinking feeling that the Christian Kulu Kingdom will triumph, and Joshua will turn out to be the second coming of Christ.

Bloody hope not. ( )
  closedmouth | Jul 21, 2010 |
(Alistair) Booklogging now the two second books together, as indeed they were read together (I have made this adjustment to match the original publication format of the books). To catch up on my reading of the first two of these, please see here and here.

Well, I stand by my statement that the dead returning from the afterlife is a very odd element to build a space-opera plot on top of, but you know, it nonetheless seems to work, especially as we learn more about the metaphysics of it and about the nature of the dead themselves. Even in SFnal terms. Even the return of Al Capone to life as an interstellar imperialist, to pick perhaps the least likely-sounding plot element, works in context.

And Hamilton does seem to be able to keep a grip on his large cast of characters and array of plot-threads, at least so far, and in tying them nicely together into a whole.

However, I think, on reflection I'd like to revise my thought, last time, about each volume of the triology being effectively one long book, even though once again Conflict finds a much better place to stop than Consolidation.

I think it may be more accurate to consider this less a trilogy of pair-sliced books than one very, very long book chopped up into six parts. Fortunately, since I've reordered my reading list accordingly to place the pairs together, at the end of the next two I should be able to give you a review based on all six.

( http://weblog.siliconcerebrate.com/cerebrate/2009/07/the_neutronium_alchemist_pe... ) ( )
  libraryofus | Jan 14, 2010 |
Strangely, what’s keeping me interested in the story is not really any of the plots listed above (well, partially one), but the involvement of the Kiint and other aliens. And the second is the brief introduction of two beings who are immune from attacks by the possessed (as well as others it seems) and who have been around for ages, observing humanities struggle with the possessed. I did like the Joshua Calvert-Alkad Mzu chase as well, but everything else was kind of blah for me. As those plots get more involved in The Naked God they may reignite my interest.

(Full review at my blog) ( )
  KingRat | Jun 17, 2008 |

Peter F. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In some areas The Neutronium Alchemist is published as two separate books, The Neutronium Alchemist, Part 1: Consolidation and The Neutronium Alchemist, Part 2: Conflict. This is Conflict; please do not combine it with the others.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446605468, Mass Market Paperback)

The Neutronium Alchemist: Conflict, is the second part of the second novel of Peter F. Hamilton's space opera epic that ranges not only across interstellar space but across the boundary between life and death. (The series begins with The Reality Dysfunction: Emergence and Expansion). This book mainly revolves around Dr. Alkad Mzu, creator of a doomsday weapon so powerful it scares even the citizens of this high-tech and heavily beweaponed future. Mzu is on a decades-long quest to take vengeance against the people who destroyed her home planet, and she wields alarming cunning and ruthlessness in the pursuit. But what gives even her pause is the war against the souls of the dead who have returned from a hellish Beyond to possess the living. Both sides want her: the dead want the weapon, the living want to keep the weapon out of the dead's hands. Unfortunately for them, that means they must find and take Mzu alive, while all the dead need to do is kill her, bringing her into their realm.

Rarely has science fiction produced a series as rich, satisfying, and big as this one. In addition to the action, Hamilton continues to beguile us with the greater mystery of the returned dead--new clues are discovered, only to create new enigmas. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:56 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,702,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible