After Dark by Haruki Murakami

After Dark

by Haruki Murakami

Recently added byprivate library, sdmf4bls, Balcatrena, hernandezc, Vickyred69, giodelto, kgodey, reneenlyons, tecu
    The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami (Miss-Owl)
    Number9Dream by David Mitchell (isigfethera)
    isigfethera: Both are slightly surreal coming-of-age-ish stories set in Tokyo. I think there is some similarity in style too.
    Tongue by Kyung-Ran Jo (freddlerabbit)
    freddlerabbit: Jo's style has been compared with Murakami's - I disagree, but the work Tongue bears the most resemblance to is After Dark.
    The Lost Episodes of Beatie Scareli by Ginnetta Correli (Jacey25)
    Jacey25: another novel where things are vaguely unsettling and the concept of being watched on television takes an interesting twist- a fantastic quick read

English (162)  Dutch (4)  German (4)  Swedish (3)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Italian (1)  Japanese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (185)
This one was special for me, was the first book of Murakami that I read. He has way with words. He makes you see the scenery and hear a soundtrack while you are involved in the plot of weirdness according to our own boring life that is extended to your limbs and senses. ( )
  neosofia | Jun 19, 2018 |
I so totally need to listen to this one again! The narration is lovely, and the book itself has so much to it. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
I really liked this one...it was a little strange and I felt like there was something maybe missing or lost in translation. I'm curious about a few things....one of the characters lies about the movie "Love Story" and I can't decide whether it is to keep the conversation from becoming too sad or if like, it really is different in Japanese. I'm pretty sure it's just that he's lying for the sake of Mari.

I also couldn't figure out if Murakami was intentionally narrating some parts like a movie or if Japanese does not allow for storytelling in this way. He describes seeing Mari's sister in a way that is very creepy but also very odd. I felt like I was in the middle of a David Lynch film.

Overall, I would recommend this to someone looking for a book about insomnia or a book about the night (perfect for this years SRP theme). I'm not sure that this is Murakami's best or the best novel to begin with but I'm looking forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |
Do you know what excited me? That the parallel stories will blend.
Do you know what killed me? They didn't.
1,5 stars. ( )
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |
A capable mood piece that tries to capture the feeling you get in a city at night when the pace of life is still there but it is not as relentless as the day. "The basso continuo of the city's moan, a monotonous sound that neither rises nor falls but is pregnant with foreboding," as Murakami tells us on the very first page. There's a sort of disconnected, conceptual, smoky jazz bar type of vibe running through the book – deliberately so – and that's either your thing or it isn't. After Dark has to be something you want; it is not a book where you can just take something of worth from whatever it leads you to. You have to want to go there, on some level.

This can turn a lot of people off and even those people who are open to it might find it doesn't fulfil its promise. Because sometimes with stuff like this, if you criticize it then other people will say you just don't 'get' it. But even though some of the characters were well drawn and there was a metatextual angle I liked – and I am very interested in some of the themes and concepts Murakami explores here – there were also things that seemed clunky or that were being tried and just didn't work. It might just be the translation – and trying to get Japanese syntax and social norms to play well in English must be a challenge – but it seemed a bit too stilted at times when it should have been flowing. And even though plot is not the point here, the lack of resolution or even context (especially to the Eri Asai and Shirakawa chapters) cannot help but disappoint. Nevertheless, I would not be put off from reading some of Murakami's more developed work, even if it is similar to After Dark, because the performance might be better there: a sort of freeform jazz in which there are movements according to the mood and the beat and the place and it all peels off into ashes. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jan 11, 2018 |
Många kommer nog att störa sig på den för att den är osammanhängande och saknar ett riktigt slut. Själv gillar jag den just därför, även om det finns en del annat att klaga på.

Murakamis romaner brukar alltid bli mer än summan av sina olika, ofta rätt banala beståndsdelar. Innan natten faller är dock ett undantag som inte blir mer än en, låt vara tidvis rätt så underhållande, smått förvirrad färd från mörker till ljus. Den är helt enkelt inte så bra.

Det är en stil flytande mellan genrer och upplevelser som Murakami driver sina underliga och vackra världar med, som smälter ihop myter och andeväsen med socialrealistiska plågor som kvinnohat, maffiahot, barnsexhandel och korruption.
added by Jannes | editDagens nyheter, Ulrika Milles (Mar 26, 2012)

"A bittersweet novel that will satisfy the most demanding literary taste... It reminds us [that] while we sleep, the world out there is moving in mysterious and unpredictable ways."
added by GYKM | editSan Francisco Chronicle

"Potent and disturbing... He reminds us that the essence of horror in the post-modern narrative is not some gothic extravagance, but the realities that await us outside our doorstep."
added by GYKM | editBoston Globe

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gross, AlexCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porta, LourdesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eyes mark the shape of the city.

Har stadig denne til gode - glæder mig meget:-)

A sleek, gripping novel of encounters set in Tokyo during the spooky hours between midnight and dawn, by an internationally renowned literary phenomenon.

Murakami's trademark humor, psychological insight, and grasp of spirit and morality are here distilled with an extraordinary, harmonious mastery. Combining the pyrotechnical genius that made Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-up Bird Chronicle international bestsellers, with a surprising infusion of heart, Murakami has produced one of his most enchanting fictions yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:58 -0400)

Two sisters--Eri, a fashion model sleeping her way to oblivion, and Mari, a young student--form the center of a novel that documents a series of encounters in Tokyo during the witching hours between midnight and dawn.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,978,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible