After dark by Haruki Murakami

After dark (edition 2006)

by Haruki Murakami, Jacques Westerhoven

Member:deepfocus
Title:After dark
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Other authors:Jacques Westerhoven
Info:Amsterdam [etc.] : Atlas; 217 p, 21 cm; http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/PPN?PPN=292315228

After Dark by Haruki Murakami

Recently added bylth502, richnyc, private library, MalkhutSefirah, JCrump, Darion, rcoaguila, Octocolombus
2007 (23) 2008 (22) 21st century (42) contemporary (19) fiction (521) hardcover (19) Haruki Murakami (26) Japan (299) Japanese (160) Japanese fiction (43) Japanese literature (115) library (17) literary fiction (20) literature (41) magical realism (93) murakami (31) night (43) novel (93) prostitution (19) read (67) Roman (19) sisters (41) sleep (31) surreal (31) surrealism (29) to-read (60) Tokyo (76) translated (18) translation (34) unread (23)
    The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami (Miss-Owl)
    Number9Dream by David Mitchell (isigfethera)
    isigfethera: Both are slightly surreal coming-of-age-ish stories set in Tokyo. I think there is some similarity in style too.
    Tongue by Kyung-Ran Jo (freddlerabbit)
    freddlerabbit: Jo's style has been compared with Murakami's - I disagree, but the work Tongue bears the most resemblance to is After Dark.
    The Lost Episodes of Beatie Scareli by Ginnetta Correli (Jacey25)
    Jacey25: another novel where things are vaguely unsettling and the concept of being watched on television takes an interesting twist- a fantastic quick read

English (141)  German (4)  Norwegian (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Japanese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (159)
Takahashi and Mari meet in a Japanese Denny's. Why? Because it's late. Mari is a 19 year old student who really doesn't want to go home, Takahashi is a musician with connections to her catatonic sister.

While the two struggle with young-people issues of angst and the future, drama arrives in the form of a Chinese hooker beaten by her John. The hotel manager finds Mari (at the suggestion of Takahashi) -- she happens to speak fluent Chinese and helps with a situation where no parties want police involvement. Sadly, this is the most exciting part of the book, and while we do meet the perp who beat the prostitute, his comeuppance is not part of the story.

While I'm sure the translation was accurate, the prose is stilted, perhaps too exact of a translation. Sentences tend to be short and abrupt, with little flowing narrative. It's like the dialog in a Japanese movie. This style unfortunately keeps the characters distinctly foreign and hard to find sympathetic with their fears and plights. A less literal translation that embraces the intent might make for a more accessible book in the English language. ( )
  JeffV | Jun 13, 2014 |
Murakami's lucid and clear style, aided by Jay Rubin's translation, draws the reader through a night in Tokyo spent in languid bars playing smooth jazz populated by affable men and enigmatic women. The prose highlights both the author's penchant for the surreal and the wistful passage of time at night, spent with strangers. Another fine work by one of the greats of modern Japanese literature. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
Another wonderfully deep book by Haruki Murakami. I love to read his stuff, can't wait to read more. ( )
  lloyd1175 | Mar 22, 2014 |
The book has a familiar Murakami feel at the open. We meet two of our characters in a Tokyo Denny's restaurant late at night where two people who briefly met 2 years before intersect. We get the usual touches of western music - in this case Percy Faith, Martin Denny and Burt Bacharach are playing quietly in the background and obscure jazz pops into the conversation. Music pops up throughout the novel. The talk between the two people seems awkwardly real. We follow the girl, Mari, through the night as she stays out rather than going home and of course interesting things happen. At the start of each chapter a clock face tells us the time and we begin a few minutes before midnight and the story ends a few minutes before 7. And the end feels like the beginning of another story that for me at least I wish I could read.

Parts of the story are told from the viewpoint of an imaginary camera that moves around scenes as if we were in a movie. This is a very surreal parallel story that alternates with many chapters that is about Mari's sister Eri. This was the lesser part of the novel for me but there is still something interesting in the oddity. Not one of Murakami's major works, but it was still worth reading and an unusual look at another place and people. As I've said before, I have yet to read a bad Murakami book. ( )
  RBeffa | Mar 5, 2014 |
3.75 stars

This book describes one night in Tokyo. Primarily, it follows Mari, a 19-year old college student, who is staying out all night, just because she doesn’t want to be at home. She meets up with a friend of her sister’s ex-boyfriend and spends some time with him; she is drawn into a situation to help a Chinese girl who has been beaten up; and the story then also follows some of the other characters that have come into the story through Mari. On alternating chapters, we are also looking at (as if through a video) Mari’s sister, Eri, as she sleeps.

I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn’t sure if I’d like it or not, but it was quite interesting and entertaining. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 19, 2014 |
"A bittersweet novel that will satisfy the most demanding literary taste... It reminds us [that] while we sleep, the world out there is moving in mysterious and unpredictable ways."
added by GYKM | editSan Francisco Chronicle

"Potent and disturbing... He reminds us that the essence of horror in the post-modern narrative is not some gothic extravagance, but the realities that await us outside our doorstep."
added by GYKM | editBoston Globe

"A streamlined, hushed ensemble piece built on the notion that very late at night, after the lamps of logic have been snuffed and rationality has shut its eyes, life on earth becomes boundariless and blurred ... Standing sentry above the common gloom, Murakami detects phosphorescence everywhere, but chiefly in the auras around people, which glow brightest at night when combined."
added by GYKM | editNew York Times Book Review

"One of the author's most fully realized short fictions... He's drilling down to the essential mysteries of existence."
added by GYKM | editSalon

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eyes mark the shape of the city.
“Let me tell you something Mari, The ground we stand on looks solid enough, but if something happens it can drop right out from under you. And once that happens you’ve had it: things’ll never be the same. All you can do is go on living alone down there in the darkness.”
In this world, there are things you can only do alone, and things you can only do with somebody else. It’s important to combine the two in just the right amount.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Har stadig denne til gode - glæder mig meget:-)

A sleek, gripping novel of encounters set in Tokyo during the spooky hours between midnight and dawn, by an internationally renowned literary phenomenon.

Murakami's trademark humor, psychological insight, and grasp of spirit and morality are here distilled with an extraordinary, harmonious mastery. Combining the pyrotechnical genius that made Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-up Bird Chronicle international bestsellers, with a surprising infusion of heart, Murakami has produced one of his most enchanting fictions yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:45 -0400)

Set in Tokyo during the witching hours between midnight and dawn, the novel features two sisters--Eri, a fashion model slumbering her way into oblivion, and Mari, a young student soon led from solitary reading at an anonymous Denny's toward people whose lives are radically alien to her own: a jazz trombonist who claims they've met before, a burly female "love hotel" manager and her maid staff, and a Chinese prostitute savagely brutalized by a businessman.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,532,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible