After dark by Haruki Murakami

After dark (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Haruki Murakami, Jacques Westerhoven

Member:deepfocus
Title:After dark
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Other authors:Jacques Westerhoven
Info:Amsterdam [etc.] : Atlas; 217 p, 21 cm; http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/PPN?PPN=292315228

After Dark by Haruki Murakami (2004)

The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami (Miss-Owl)
    Number9Dream by David Mitchell (isigfethera)
    isigfethera: Both are slightly surreal coming-of-age-ish stories set in Tokyo. I think there is some similarity in style too.
    Tongue by Kyung-Ran Jo (freddlerabbit)
    freddlerabbit: Jo's style has been compared with Murakami's - I disagree, but the work Tongue bears the most resemblance to is After Dark.
    The Lost Episodes of Beatie Scareli by Ginnetta Correli (Jacey25)
    Jacey25: another novel where things are vaguely unsettling and the concept of being watched on television takes an interesting twist- a fantastic quick read

English (147)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  Norwegian (2)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Japanese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (167)
This is my first Murakami novel and I am hooked. Beautiful dialogue and cerebral characters. I am an instant fan. ( )
  InDreamsAwake | Aug 15, 2015 |
3.5 stars ( )
  mkclane | Jul 31, 2015 |
Bom... que posso dizer? Murakami está a desenvolver em mim um gosto estranho pelas suas obras. Subjectivas, abstractas e muito, muito, confusas ao início. Uma escrita e história completamente diferentes do que estou habituada, consegue, ainda assim, transportar-me para o seu mundo e devorar as páginas sem vontade de parar. Não teve o mesmo impacto que a primeira obra que li deste autor, "Em Busca do Carneiro Selvagem", mas foi estranhamente agradável. Pela parte que me toca, deixou-me a pensar, o que me agrada mais que muito. Venha o próximo volume... ( )
  SaraVieira | May 5, 2015 |
Che tenerezza e luminosità questo lieve romanzo, quale piccola magia ci regala sempre Murakami... In un mondo lontano e notturno sembra quasi di assistere alla nascita di un nuovo Universo dentro quello già esistente, che continua ugualmente a muoversi in misteriose correnti di imperscrutabile profondità, creando legami, storture,risvegli. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
Do you enjoy surrealism and the paintings of Salvador Dali? Neither do I...and, if you're anything like me, Murakami's admittedly interesting short novel will likely leave you feeling plenty puzzled and unsatisfied. Overall, I thought that "After Dark" fell well short of fine literature.

All was not lost, however. On the positive side, I did enjoy the author's excursions on how such an orderly city as Tokyo can (at least conceivably) transform into a chaotic Wild West at night...and, then, turn back again into its civilized daytime guise. (Whether that's what really happens, however, I have no way of knowing and no desire to find out. The proof is left to the reader, as the saying goes.)

On the negative side, however, the lumbering and unevocative descriptions of sleeping beauty Eri, and the author's promptings that we regard her slumbering visage from a variety of different angles as if we were a camera crew filming the event, delivered the same level of literary sizzle as a user's manual for a toaster oven.

The author went on to pose a series of riddles which, I suppose, he reckoned would mightily challenge his readers. For example: Who was that diaphanously masked man in the picture? What should we make of Eri's puzzlement over finding a lead pencil stamped with the company name associated with a slimeball software engineer whom Eri never knew? Will sister Mari's warming thoughts translate into action and save the TV screen image of Eri's corporeal form from dissolving into radiowave static?

To all of this blather, my response was: whatever, Murakami! How tedious! You've given us no reason to care about the answers to your riddles, one way or the other. Was the author's intent simply lost in the English language translation? Perhaps a little, but I doubt that the root cause of the author's weak story-telling is as simple as just that. The narrative's many weak moments probably suck every bit as much in Japanese.

Nonetheless, and from the perspective of the story's overall arc, I was pleased that stalwart Mari's deep introspection ultimately transformed her aloofness into love, enabling her to offer a seemingly healing gift of intimate comfort and care to long-slumbering sister Eri. Hooray for humanity! Surely a good life depends on the existence of such strong and rich personal connections. I was gratified that the book ended on such a high note...enough, I guess, for me to rank "After Dark" ahead of trying to make sense of a typical Dali painting. ( )
  EpicTale | Oct 15, 2014 |
Många kommer nog att störa sig på den för att den är osammanhängande och saknar ett riktigt slut. Själv gillar jag den just därför, även om det finns en del annat att klaga på.

Murakamis romaner brukar alltid bli mer än summan av sina olika, ofta rätt banala beståndsdelar. Innan natten faller är dock ett undantag som inte blir mer än en, låt vara tidvis rätt så underhållande, smått förvirrad färd från mörker till ljus. Den är helt enkelt inte så bra.

Det är en stil flytande mellan genrer och upplevelser som Murakami driver sina underliga och vackra världar med, som smälter ihop myter och andeväsen med socialrealistiska plågor som kvinnohat, maffiahot, barnsexhandel och korruption.
added by Jannes | editDagens nyheter, Ulrika Milles (Mar 26, 2012)

"A bittersweet novel that will satisfy the most demanding literary taste... It reminds us [that] while we sleep, the world out there is moving in mysterious and unpredictable ways."
added by GYKM | editSan Francisco Chronicle

"Potent and disturbing... He reminds us that the essence of horror in the post-modern narrative is not some gothic extravagance, but the realities that await us outside our doorstep."
added by GYKM | editBoston Globe

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eyes mark the shape of the city.
“Let me tell you something Mari, The ground we stand on looks solid enough, but if something happens it can drop right out from under you. And once that happens you’ve had it: things’ll never be the same. All you can do is go on living alone down there in the darkness.”
In this world, there are things you can only do alone, and things you can only do with somebody else. It’s important to combine the two in just the right amount.

Har stadig denne til gode - glæder mig meget:-)

A sleek, gripping novel of encounters set in Tokyo during the spooky hours between midnight and dawn, by an internationally renowned literary phenomenon.

Murakami's trademark humor, psychological insight, and grasp of spirit and morality are here distilled with an extraordinary, harmonious mastery. Combining the pyrotechnical genius that made Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-up Bird Chronicle international bestsellers, with a surprising infusion of heart, Murakami has produced one of his most enchanting fictions yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:58 -0400)

Set in Tokyo during the witching hours between midnight and dawn, the novel features two sisters--Eri, a fashion model slumbering her way into oblivion, and Mari, a young student soon led from solitary reading at an anonymous Denny's toward people whose lives are radically alien to her own: a jazz trombonist who claims they've met before, a burly female "love hotel" manager and her maid staff, and a Chinese prostitute savagely brutalized by a businessman.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,071,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible