Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life…

Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom

by Toni Summers Hargis

I got some good insight into the differences between the UK and the US. I read it because I don't want to make an ass of myself on my upcoming trip to the UK. Some of the information seemed a bit obvious to me, some of it was enlightening. ( )
  erica471 | Jan 5, 2014 |
I bought this book thinking it would be an entertaining account of the mores of the British, but it's really a bare-bones "so you want to move to Great Britain" guide. The chapter on how to pronounce names of places is useful and fun, though. ( )
  JRuel | Feb 22, 2011 |
A fun book about the social norms and habits of Britons. The writer has an excellent sense of humor and a deep love for the wonder and absurdity of British eccentricities. I read this as prep for another trip to the UK, and have to say that I saw a lot more and laughed a lot more after reading it than before. There are a number of similar books out on this topic, but Hargis definitely has a gift for the turn of phrase and is adept at delivering the sly witticism. ( )
  Oreillynsf | Jun 9, 2010 |

How do you respond to a dinner invitation that says "Eight for eight thirty"? What might induce you to get off a London train at a place called Mud Chute? When is it okay to drive over a sleeping policeman? And why do teh Brits keep saying "Who's she, the cat's mother"?

Rules, Britannia is an invaluable resource for Americans who want to make a smooth transition when visiting or relocating to the UK. This entertaining and practical insider's guide contains scores of established do's and dont's that only a Brit would know.

Most of us know that an elevator is called a "lifet," a toilet is a "loo," and the trunk of your car is the "boot," but who would have a clue about a "sprog" or a "gobsmacked berk"? These phrases are part of daily conservation in the UK, and leave many visiting Americans as baffled as if they listening to a foreign language.

Covering such essential topics as vocabulary, house- or "flat"-hunting, business culture, child rearing, and even relationship etiqutte, Rules, Britannia will ease the anxiety that comes with a transatlantic move or extended visit, and is sure to make any old Yank feel like a regular Joe Bloggs.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:10:40 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,958,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible