Ella enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella enchanted (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Gail Carson Levine

Series: Enchanted

Member:bell7
Title:Ella enchanted
Authors:Gail Carson Levine
Info:New York : HarperCollinsPublishers, c1997.
Rating:****1/2
Tags:children's, fantasy, fairy tales, retelling, Newbery Honor

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (1997)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Oct 15, 2017 |
I finally got around to reading this book. I had no idea it was a remake of Cinderella, since I had only based the title from what I knew about the movie, which is nothing like Cinderella. The book was so much better. Not ridiculous like the movie, but magical and funny. The more I read the more i realized it was a Cinderella story. Why I had never made that connection before? I don't know. This book is worth the read, especially if you've seen the movie and love a good version of a classic fairy tale. I wondered how Ella would break her spell (different from the movie), and what horror would great her at the end because their was no evil villain trying to get her to murder the prince (like the movie Ella Enchanted). It ended very well. Not quite what I expected, but it had all the classic elements of the original Cinderella, which Disney made. ( )
  LisaRector | Sep 28, 2017 |
Fantastic. Beautiful. It reminds me of Wren's Quest by Sherwood Smith, one of my formative books. It's what I wish Diana Wynne Jones had written like. My only quibble is that the style is functional to the extreme. You won't find any beauty of prose here. But in my opinion, that's a good problem to have. It keeps tension high and still uses vocabulary to keep you in a world (like "sparrowgrass" for asparagus).

It's a version of Shrek for the intellectual. Less in-your-face and fart joke-laden. More for those who've read original versions and appreciates guilty pleasures. People who like "Into the Woods". Plus all the characters are likable. The most negative part is the predictable ending. Not that you know what's going to happen (you do), but you're bored waiting for it to play out.

But I gave it five stars. However, those looking for twee elfin phrases will be disappointed. ( )
  theWallflower | Sep 21, 2017 |
This book is enchanting.

Ella of Frell was given a terrible gift at her birth - the gift of Obedience. Whatever someone commands she do - no matter how horrible - she must do it. But she is a strong-willed girl and she learns ways to make the best of her life, despite this terrible wish. She determines that she must find the faerie who cast the spell and break the curse... the whole kingdom could be in danger if she fails.

I remember reading this book once when I was younger, and for whatever reason all I remember of it was the centaur named Apple (who is mentioned maybe three times). I'm really glad I picked it up again, because it is a sweet little story about finding inner strength and love and stealing your step-sister's wig and selling it for bread. Ella is adorable and strong and smart. The "gift" of obedience is a HORRIBLE one, and her creativity in maneuvering to her best advantage is wonderful. You are constantly waiting for her to break her curse, wondering how she'll get revenge on her step-family, and who will come to her rescue.

This is a great retelling of Cinderella and although it's intended for middle grade readers, I believe it's a good read for anyone who enjoys retellings, the story of Cinderella, or fun little books with a bit of faery mischief. ( )
  Morteana | Aug 23, 2017 |
How can a fairy's blessing be such a curse? At her birth Ella of Frell was given a foolish fairy's gift - the "gift" of obedience. Ella must obey any order given to her, whether it's hopping on one foot for a day or chopping off her own head! But Strong-willed Ella does not tamely accept her fate. She goes on a quest, encountering orges, giants, wicked stepsisters, fairy godmothers, and handsome princes, determined to break the curse - and live happily ever after.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |

Levine, Gail Carsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cetta, AlTypographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elliott, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,696,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible