Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (original 1997; edition 2004)

by Gail Carson Levine

Member:Laelnicole
Title:Ella Enchanted
Authors:Gail Carson Levine
Info:HarperTeen (2004), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:To read

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (1997)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

I liked the writing style, the plot and character development of this book. Ella Enchanted is an "enchanting" story that engages the reader with strong writing and great dialogue as well as good character development. Ella of Frell is a simple character that grows throughout her journey in determining her self-worth and finding, through many trials, what she deserves and values in her life. I felt Ella resonated with me in many ways, as I try to help others in any way possible, even if it's detrimental to myself, and while she is forced to do it due to the "gift" imposed on her by Lucinda, her fairy godmother. Ella is challenged throughout the story with her abusive relationship with Hattie and Olive, who eventually become her step sisters, her friendship and ultimate romance with Char, who she denies feelings for when realizing the harm of her "gift" and the love for her close friend Mandy. She overcomes her challenges by being selfless and courageous, making this a wonderful book for young readers who are discovering their own self-worth. ( )
  Sdaile2 | May 2, 2016 |
I like this book for two reasons. First, I enjoy the plot. I think that the story itself is extremely entertaining, and the idea of having a magical curse is something fresh, new, and fun to read about. I also like that the language used is not too challenging. Although this is a chapter book, I feel like it is a pretty easy read and the word choice makes the story flow, without any extra or unnecessary details/words. The big message in this book is that people have more strength inside themselves than they think, and if they push themselves really hard, they can change their lives without the help of anybody else. ( )
  maddieburchell | Apr 26, 2016 |
Summary: When Ella was born, a fairy gives her the "gift" of obedience. Although the fairy Lucinda meant no harm, this gift was more of a curse, and it caused Ella to do whatever anyone tells her to do, even if it is silly or harmful. Ella's mother saw how it could be a problem for her, so she told her to never tell anyone about the curse. Mandy, the family's cook, was also a fairy, but not a good one, so there was nothing she could do to break the curse. Ella's mother dies, and at her mother's funeral, she meets Prince Charmont (Char) who says he is sorry for her loss. Later, Ella meets Dame Olga and her daughters, Hattie and Olive. Ella's father decides to send her to finishing school with them, and on the way to the school Hattie realizes that Ella has to do whatever she says. Hattie makes her do things for her and plays mean tricks on her, so Ella decides to run away from school to try to find the fairy Lucinda. On her way, she runs across some ogres, and she lulls them to sleep. Prince Char and his knights find her and thank her for taking care of the ogres. They end up writing letters to one another and keep in contact. Ella's father marries Dame Olga, but when she realizes he is not rich, she takes her anger out on Ella, making her a servant in her own home. Prince Char asks Ella to marry him in a letter, and she feels like she should say no because her curse could be used against her if she marries the prince. When he holds a masked ball to choose a wife, she still attends wearing a mask. Hattie gets angry, and pulls her mask off. Ella runs home and loses her glass slipper. Char finds it and brings it to her home and tells her to marry him. She uses all her might to say no, and the curse is broken. She explains everything to Char and they get married and live happily ever after.

Personal Reaction: I have loved this book since I was little! It's such a fun read, and I think Ella is wonderful, strong character. I love that she was able to use the power within herself to take back control of her life. Great message for kids to read.

Classroom Extensions:
1. Craft activity - decorate masks for a masquerade
2. Journal entry about what you learned about taking advantage of others
3. Create your own magical creature - draw it and write a description of it ( )
  ClaudiaNormand | Apr 19, 2016 |
Ella is under a curse to be obedient to anything anyone says. At her mother's funeral she meets prince Charmont. ( )
  XantheS17 | Apr 9, 2016 |
I enjoyed the book, in spite of having already seen the movie and noting many differences. I liked some of the differences better than the way the story played out in the movie, though I still like the movie as well. I think the depth of characters is so much better in the book. We learn so much more about the kind of person Char is, as well as more into Hattie and Olive's personalities beyond being the "evil" stepsisters. I enjoyed the aspects of the story that were missing from the movie...Ella's trip to finishing school, her friendships she made along the way. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy fairy tale retellings, or stories in which the damsel is able to save herself. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |

Levine, Gail Carsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible