Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (original 1997; edition 2004)

by Gail Carson Levine

Member:Laelnicole
Title:Ella Enchanted
Authors:Gail Carson Levine
Info:
Collections:To read

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (1997)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

(5.1)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
I liked this book a lot. This has got to be one of the most interesting takes on the Cinderella story out there. I really liked how the author included many little, unlikely details, all building up to the well-known finale of Cinderella. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
One of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE books as a child. So much better than the movie, don't even compare it to that, as the only things they had in common were the characters names and the basic idea of an obedience curse. Even though I'm older now, I still go back and read this at least once a year. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
I always heard of Ella Enchanted. My sister got me to watch the movie with her recently and I loved the movie! I decided to borrow the book from the library. I have to say, the book is nothing like the movie! The movie is so different and better. I think I hated the book because I saw the movie first. I don't get the hype. Why does everyone think the book is amazing? The book was boring. I friend told me the book was amazing. I liked the fairytale genre of the book. The book was cool because the main character is under a curse and has to obey everyone. It sounded like a good book but I just didn't like it. As soon as I read the first page, there was something about the writing style that I didn't like. Maybe I'm too old for the book because the book was meant for younger kids to read. There was also a different language used in the book and I didn't get it. The other thing that bugged me was, people said the book is too much like Cinderella and I agree. I also thought the book was depressing. Throughout the whole book Ella is being tortured by her evil stepsister. Her Dad wasn't around much and Char wasn't with Ella that much either. There's supposed to be a romance between Char and Ella but it didn't seem real to me. They were more like friends than lovers. When Char was gone him and Ella wrote each other letters back and forth. I also feel this book was more tell than show. The author is supposed to show the readers what happens instead of telling you everything. I did like some parts of the book. I liked it once I got to page 200. I liked how the author wrote in first person. I'm the only one who didn't like this book. The movie was so much better! I recommend anyone to read this but beware, if you're older this book may be boring. I recommend watching the movie instead. Anne Hathaway did a great job as Ella. I give this book 3 stars because I'm not harsh. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |

Gail Carson Levineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:34 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,351,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible