Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (original 1997; edition 2004)

by Gail Carson Levine

Member:Laelnicole
Title:Ella Enchanted
Authors:Gail Carson Levine
Info:HarperTeen (2004), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:To read

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (1997)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

This was a really cute young adult twist on the Cinderella fairy tale.  Ella was a feisty character even in the worst circumstances.  The narrator for this audiobook (Eden Riegel) did an excellent job narrating the story.  She captured the characters perfectly.  She played the stepsisters so well, I actually had to stop myself from throwing my phone in exasperation at Hattie.  I'm definitely sharing this with the girls in my classroom.  They'll love Ella fighting back against her obedience curse.  I just hope they don't get any ideas to use against me. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
This is a lovely take on the Cinderella story, complete with horrible step mother and step sisters, a fairy godmother and a Prince Charming. Populated with fairies, ogres, gnomes, giants and centaurs, this is a rich, exciting and entertaining tale with a feisty and independent heroine. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
A very cute story. I watched the movie version a few months before I read the book. It's loosely based on the book, but the stories are very different. For once, I can honestly say that I loved both versions of the story (I usually love one or the other-- the book OR the movie).

I enjoyed Ella's personality and sense of humor. The book was a fun, enjoyable read. ( )
  HSContino | May 20, 2016 |
Ella Enchanted is a magical story about a girl named Ella. Ella looked like a normal girl. She lived in a normal house (although it was quite large), and she lived with normal people. But what most people didn't know, was that she wasn't as normal as she seemed. When she was just a baby, Lucinda, a careless fairy, gave her a gift. This was not a normal gift that she gave her, it was the gift of obedience. For the rest of her life, Ella had to do everything that she was told to do. She lived a fine life until her mother died, and her father married a cruel woman who's daughters found out about Ella's "gift." She was commanded not to tell anybody about the gift, so the only person who knew about her "gift" was Mandy, the scullery maid. Soon, she befriended a prince. It began to get hard not to tell him about her obedience. Things would only get worse when the prince fell in love with her.
I enjoyed reading this book because of the detail that the author put in that made the magic seem real. Reading this book was an amazing experience for me because of the intense moments that the author put into the story. I could not stop reading this book because the author always made the story interesting. I would recommend this book to lovers of fantasy. This story is nothing less than enchanting. ( )
  JillianK25 | May 16, 2016 |
Enjoyed the movie but loved the novel more! Retelling of Cinderella where the fairy godmother's blessing turns out to be more of a curse? Lol! And Cinderella has to remove the blessing by finding that fairy godmother without any help from prince charming but her own self. Wow. The novel covered more adventures than the movie but that happens with movies. :) ( )
  chickenbuttz | May 11, 2016 |

Levine, Gail Carsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,002,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible