Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (original 1997; edition 2003)

by Gail Carson Levine

Member:jeemra
Title:Ella Enchanted
Authors:Gail Carson Levine
Info:Avon Books (2003), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (1997)

Recently added byobensinger, mizwong, zmschlesh, private library, EKC, sandrikoti, Yardape, KPPSlibrary, HSContino
    Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

A very cute story. I watched the movie version a few months before I read the book. It's loosely based on the book, but the stories are very different. For once, I can honestly say that I loved both versions of the story (I usually love one or the other-- the book OR the movie).

I enjoyed Ella's personality and sense of humor. The book was a fun, enjoyable read. ( )
  HSContino | May 20, 2016 |
Ella Enchanted is a magical story about a girl named Ella. Ella looked like a normal girl. She lived in a normal house (although it was quite large), and she lived with normal people. But what most people didn't know, was that she wasn't as normal as she seemed. When she was just a baby, Lucinda, a careless fairy, gave her a gift. This was not a normal gift that she gave her, it was the gift of obedience. For the rest of her life, Ella had to do everything that she was told to do. She lived a fine life until her mother died, and her father married a cruel woman who's daughters found out about Ella's "gift." She was commanded not to tell anybody about the gift, so the only person who knew about her "gift" was Mandy, the scullery maid. Soon, she befriended a prince. It began to get hard not to tell him about her obedience. Things would only get worse when the prince fell in love with her.
I enjoyed reading this book because of the detail that the author put in that made the magic seem real. Reading this book was an amazing experience for me because of the intense moments that the author put into the story. I could not stop reading this book because the author always made the story interesting. I would recommend this book to lovers of fantasy. This story is nothing less than enchanting. ( )
  JillianK25 | May 16, 2016 |
Enjoyed the movie but loved the novel more! Retelling of Cinderella where the fairy godmother's blessing turns out to be more of a curse? Lol! And Cinderella has to remove the blessing by finding that fairy godmother without any help from prince charming but her own self. Wow. The novel covered more adventures than the movie but that happens with movies. :) ( )
  chickenbuttz | May 11, 2016 |
Over the last couple weeks, my girlfriend and I read Ella Enchanted aloud to one another. (Have you ever had someone read to you before going to sleep? It’s magical.) It was the first time either of us had read the book in years, but it was just as delightful as it was in our childhoods (and much funnier!).

Ella Enchanted is a unique, adventurous take on the old Cinderella tale. If you have any interest at all in retold fairy tales, this one is a must-read. My favorite thing about the book is Ella herself—she has an incredible amount of agency for a girl who physically must obey when faced with an order. She takes charge of her own life wherever she can: running away from etiquette school, where she is forced to obey her awful step-sister’s every whim; going in search of Lucinda, the fairy who cursed her; developing a friendship with the handsome and charming prince. She is feisty, clever, knowledgeable (she’s fluent in several languages!) and very witty.

I also love Ella’s relationship with Prince Char—it is equitable and based on mutual respect and admiration. Char loves Ella, but he is patient and adamant that she need not marry him if she doesn’t want to. He’s a real gentleman, which is always nice to see—especially in fairy tales.

I recommend this book to everyone–children and adults alike. It’s a very entertaining read, and so funny! My girlfriend and I were actually laughing at our heads off at points. If you missed this Newbery Medal-winner, now is the time to get on it! ( )
  blackrabbit89 | May 6, 2016 |
I liked the writing style, the plot and character development of this book. Ella Enchanted is an "enchanting" story that engages the reader with strong writing and great dialogue as well as good character development. Ella of Frell is a simple character that grows throughout her journey in determining her self-worth and finding, through many trials, what she deserves and values in her life. I felt Ella resonated with me in many ways, as I try to help others in any way possible, even if it's detrimental to myself, and while she is forced to do it due to the "gift" imposed on her by Lucinda, her fairy godmother. Ella is challenged throughout the story with her abusive relationship with Hattie and Olive, who eventually become her step sisters, her friendship and ultimate romance with Char, who she denies feelings for when realizing the harm of her "gift" and the love for her close friend Mandy. She overcomes her challenges by being selfless and courageous, making this a wonderful book for young readers who are discovering their own self-worth. ( )
  Sdaile2 | May 2, 2016 |

Levine, Gail Carsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,836,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible