Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (original 1997; edition 2003)

by Gail Carson Levine

7,249None488 (4.13)184
Member:jeemra
Title:Ella Enchanted
Authors:Gail Carson Levine
Info:Avon Books (2003), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (1997)

adventure (75) chapter book (54) children (76) children's (183) children's fiction (45) children's literature (70) Cinderella (252) curses (73) fairies (74) fairy tale (230) fairy tales (307) fairy tales retold (82) fantasy (1,047) fiction (487) humor (55) juvenile (42) love (53) magic (186) movie (39) Newbery (101) Newbery Honor (185) obedience (81) own (57) princess (55) read (102) retelling (69) romance (140) to-read (60) YA (173) young adult (283)
    Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

I first read this book in middle school, but I read it again for my class. Even though I'm not more mature (and a bit too advanced for this book), it is still a wonderful book. It was still absorbing and interesting. Ella reminds me a lot of myself, I only wish I could find my prince. ( )
  AprilAnn0814 | Apr 15, 2014 |
It is rare to find a movie I liked better than the movie it was based on, but Ella Enchanted fell into that category. Perhaps it was because I saw the movie first (and built the book up so much in my mind) or perhaps it was because the reader sounded like she was 9 (and it was strange hearing a child talk about love and marriage) but the book was not what I was expecting. It wasn't bad but it was much shorter than I had thought and so we (readers) did not get to delve as fully into that world as I would have liked. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 12, 2014 |
This is my favorite book of all time. I first read this book when I was young, and I still come back to it every year to reread it. This is a wonderfully written fairy tale reinterpretation, with an extremely likable cast of characters. Ella is a spunky, charismatic young woman, but she is also as stubborn and flawed as the rest of us. In this fairy tale, young readers can both relate to and look up to this very human protagonist. Levine does a masterful job of capturing the essential spirit of a fairy tale while also reimagining it into a story that sends valuable messages to its audience. Moreover, it's a fun and easy read! This book is a timeless classic. ( )
  CinnamonandGinger | Mar 26, 2014 |
Part fairy tale, part fantasy, Ella Enchanted is about a young girl named Ella. Since she was a baby, she has been cursed to always obey commands from anyone, however silly or dangerous those commands may be. Eager to change the course of her life, she sets out to find a way to undo the curse. Like many fairy tales, her mother is deceased and her father is more or less absent. She is at the mercy of an evil stepmother and stepsisters, much like Cinderella. Young readers will identify with Ella's quest to become her own person. In a culture that still does not value women's consent and choices, this is a valuable message to send to girls about bodily autonomy and free-will. Parents or caregivers may even wish to use this book as part of a larger, more complex conversation about consent and protecting one's body, mind, and spirit. ( )
  aeisen9 | Mar 17, 2014 |
This spin on the Cinderella story reveals a more human protagonist, and does away with the notion of an impossibly good and obedient heroine. Obedience is made a curse that can't be broken with a kiss, and the heroine is intelligent, resourceful, and fully capable of saving herself. The idea that marriage and becoming a princess will solve every problem, or that every fairy godmother is beautiful and helpful is also refuted. Readers will enjoy a modern heroine with an experience and perspective they can relate to, rather than a graceful and utterly inhuman fairy tale character. The magical realm the heroine lives in is richly portrayed, with ridiculous villains and frightening ogres, and other believable personalities that inject warmth and humor into the text. The serious themes in the book are dealt with in a way that gives them gravity but is still comprehendable for an older child, and this make it a good transition between fairy tales and longer fantasy books. ( )
  Honanb | Mar 1, 2014 |

Gail Carson Levineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:34 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible