Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (original 1997; edition 2003)

by Gail Carson Levine

Member:jeemra
Title:Ella Enchanted
Authors:Gail Carson Levine
Info:Avon Books (2003), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (1997)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

This is at least the fourth time I've read the book since it was gifted to me on my 10th birthday in 2001. It is my ultimate childhood favourite. You can read my complete review at my new review blog: https://danireviewsthings.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/ella-enchanted-by-gail-carson-levine/ ( )
  dani_reviews | Jul 22, 2016 |
Ella Enchanted is one of my favourite movies but this was my first time reading the book. They are like completely different entities. I love the book oh so much more. I look forward to a little time passing so that I may read it again. ( )
  magickislife | Jun 27, 2016 |
Not my kind of book. ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
This 'Cinderella-inspired' story is cute and well-written. Ella is a young girl who is given the curse of "obedience" at birth. So when someone tells her to do something, she has to do it. Doesn't sound so bad until the wrong person/s find out that Ella has to do whatever they say -- then things start to get hairy. Of course, knowing the story of Cinderella, you know how it's going to end. But the journey, being different than the original, keeps you on your toes trying to figure it all out. It is written for 8-12 year olds, but I was thoroughly entertained! ( )
1 vote TerriS | Jun 12, 2016 |
This was a really cute young adult twist on the Cinderella fairy tale.  Ella was a feisty character even in the worst circumstances.  The narrator for this audiobook (Eden Riegel) did an excellent job narrating the story.  She captured the characters perfectly.  She played the stepsisters so well, I actually had to stop myself from throwing my phone in exasperation at Hattie.  I'm definitely sharing this with the girls in my classroom.  They'll love Ella fighting back against her obedience curse.  I just hope they don't get any ideas to use against me. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |

Levine, Gail Carsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elliott, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,478,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible