Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (original 1997; edition 2003)

by Gail Carson Levine

Member:jeemra
Title:Ella Enchanted
Authors:Gail Carson Levine
Info:Avon Books (2003), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (1997)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

Read and loved this as a kid, am loving it all over again as an audiobook. ( )
  JennyArch | Aug 12, 2016 |
This book is one of my absolute favorites!!! It's (obviously) a retake on Cinderella, but different enough from the original story to be interesting. It's full of humor, and adventure, and romance, and everything that makes a book good, all woven together perfectly. The characters are all quite believable, and Ella is very relatable(To me, at least.) I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes juvenile/ya fantasy, and I'd probably recommend it anyway to the people who don't. :P
NOTE: If you watched the movie, wether you liked it or not, without reading the book; please, please, for the love of fish fingers and custard, READ IT!!! ;) ( )
  theliteraryelephant | Aug 11, 2016 |
Summary:
This story is sort of like Cinderella because a young girl is left to the mercy of her step mother and step sisters. Ella was given the gift of obedience from her fairy-god mother and then has to seek her out to reverse the gift in order for Ella to find true love. Along the way Ella encounters fairy's, ogre's, and other challenges.

Reaction:
I loved this book I really love fiction and fairy tale creatures and action.

Extensions:
1. Discuss what could be real and what is impossible in fiction books.
2. Have a discussion on the proper way to treat other people.
  FrancisWills | Jul 25, 2016 |
This is at least the fourth time I've read the book since it was gifted to me on my 10th birthday in 2001. It is my ultimate childhood favourite. You can read my complete review at my new review blog: https://danireviewsthings.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/ella-enchanted-by-gail-carson-levine/ ( )
  dani_reviews | Jul 22, 2016 |
Ella Enchanted is one of my favourite movies but this was my first time reading the book. They are like completely different entities. I love the book oh so much more. I look forward to a little time passing so that I may read it again. ( )
  magickislife | Jun 27, 2016 |

Levine, Gail Carsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elliott, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,315,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible