Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (original 1997; edition 2003)

by Gail Carson Levine

Member:jeemra
Title:Ella Enchanted
Authors:Gail Carson Levine
Info:Avon Books (2003), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (1997)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

I'm not a fan of fairy tales, so I put off reading this book for a long time. I am a reader who picks up every Newbery Honor and Winning book when I can, so I knew that eventually I would have to end up with this book in my hands.

Why did I wait so long? I mean sure, there are some fairy tale like parts that drove me nuts, but I simply loved this story. Ella was so intelligent and resourceful and held relationships with characters that you don't normally expect in a fairy tale type setting, and the cultures were amazingly thought out and well depicted in such a short space of text that it blew my mind, especially when it comes to knowing younger readers are the target audience, not adults.

I have not seen the movie, but I have heard the book is much better. I can believe it with all my heart. ( )
  mirrani | Jun 24, 2017 |
This book is about a girl being controlled by magic and she could no do anything about it but marry a prince. She went through many obstacles trying to find that special prince. ( )
  VictoriaVivians | Jun 9, 2017 |
After hearing a 20-something of my acquaintance casually refer to a scene in Ella Enchanted (either the book or the movie version, I'm not sure which) as if she expected it to be something everyone would automatically be familiar with, I realized that this story had slipped itself into the canon of children's classics while I wasn't looking. And having now read it, I can absolutely see why. It entirely deserves it.

The story follows Ella, the daughter of a wealthy but unscrupulous merchant, who at her birth has a "gift" bestowed on her by a well-meaning but very stupid fairy: the "gift of obedience." From then on, she cannot refuse a direct command given to her by anyone, for any reason. Which, if you stop to think about it for a moment (as the story most certainly does) is an utterly horrific idea.

While it's not obvious from that description (and, indeed, a lot of the relevant elements don't come into play until near the end), this is basically a retelling of Cinderella. But it's a marvelous, original, and wonderfully creative one. The world, rather than being Generic Fairy Tale Land is one with its own history and cultures, and its own variants on the usual fantasy creatures. The love story is charming and believable and based on a real meeting of minds, rather than being the usual kind of vacuous fairy tale romance. And the main character is spirited and likeable and feels very much like a real person. At some point towards the end, I realized I was basically sitting on the edge of my seat with tension, desperately hoping everything would work out all right for her. Which is kind of crazy. I mean, it's Cinderella. I know how Cinderella ends! But I was that caught up, and that invested in her happiness. And the climax, when it comes, is a marvelous twist on the original tale that left a great big grin on my face. This is definitely the kind of fairy tale we should be giving 21st-century kids, and 21st-century adult me loved it a lot, too. Way more than I ever would have expected to. ( )
3 vote bragan | May 13, 2017 |
Ella Enchanted
Summary: "Ella Enchanted" by Gail Carson Levinea girl named Ella was given a fairy's "gift" of obedience shortly after she was born. When Ella was older she set out on a quest to find the fairy that had given her this "gift" in hopes that the curse would be broken. She must fend off her stepsisters, ogres, and giants and falls in love with a prince along the way. Ella proves herself as a strong, honorable girl. She finally breaks the curse on her own.

Personal Reaction: This book is one of my favorites when I was in middle school. I like how it is different than most fairy tales.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have the students make their own fairy tale story. Have them make up the story and draw and color the characters.
2. Have children paint a picture of what they think Ella and the prince looked like. Give the students a paper, paints and paint brushes.
  JessicaHerriage21 | Apr 29, 2017 |
Ella is given the gift of obedience when her fairy godmother visits her as a baby. Ella sees this as a curse because now she must do everything anyone tells her to do. ( )
  morganlasher | Apr 21, 2017 |

Levine, Gail Carsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cetta, AlTypographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elliott, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,197,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible