Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (original 1997; edition 2003)

by Gail Carson Levine

Member:jeemra
Title:Ella Enchanted
Authors:Gail Carson Levine
Info:Avon Books (2003), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (1997)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

Ella is born and given the gift of obedience from a fairy names Lucinda. Though this young girl should be obedient she manages to become more of a rebel soul. When life turns quickly and she is stuck with her horrid step-family, she sets out on a quest to find Lucinda in order to take away this so called gift. A different take on Cinderella, the author does a wonderful job of giving enough detail to make you feel as though you are there in the story. This is a great opportunity to have student’s compare the different versions of the Cinderella fairy tale that we all know and love. ( )
  clp055 | Nov 7, 2016 |
This was an okay book. My kids and I listened to it on audio. The narrator's voice was so high-pitched, I sometimes had to go in another room for a break. My kids even noted it, but it didn't seem to grate on them as much as it did on me.

Aside from the narrator's voice, the story was a clever in places, but lacking in substance. The ending was an interesting twist on the classic Cinderella story, but the way Levine arrived at it was so convoluted and peppered with inconsistencies. Even willingly suspending my disbelief for the purpose of enjoying a fairy tale, I didn't find it quite believable. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Oct 31, 2016 |
I really enjoy reading this book. It is magical and silly and also touching. It's definitely a unique take on "Cinderella".

(There are a couple of movie spoilers in this next paragraph. The last one's safe, though.)

Regarding the movie, I can definitely understand the disappointment of fans who saw it, expecting it to be similar to the book. However, I really like the movie as well. I actually think I like both stories equally. I mean, it's annoying that they just took the names from the book and changed everything else, but the moments when Ella is forced to end her friendship with Areida and when she breaks the curse are just so powerful... Maybe Anne Hathaway is the savior of the movie for me. Anyway, I just think the book and the movie have the same feel to them even though the plot lines are so different. I choose to think of them as two stories only related by their "Cinderella" inspiration.

I do feel like in both the movie and the book, I could often find ways around her orders... Or there were instances where she was forced to do ridiculous things because of the wording of the order, whereas "Let me see it." forced Ella to literally give the object to the speaker. The inconsistencies bothered me a bit. ( )
  danaenicole | Oct 26, 2016 |
There are a couple of reasons as to why I enjoyed this book. First, It's the retelling of Cinderella that makes this story so appealing. Second, this book is full of positive role models for girls. The female characters are all strong, smart, and loaded with confidence. Often, you do not find female characters this way, so it's a good read when characters have good morals.

This book pushes readers to think about how the only person who can save yourself is you, along with a little help from friends or family. The story teaches readers to go out and find the strength within yourself to make that positive change. Things are not always handed to everyone and sometimes hard work and positivity is the answer! ( )
  mwatki5 | Oct 20, 2016 |
How can a fairy's blessing be such a curse?

At her birth, Ella of Frell was given a foolish fairy's gift—the "gift" of obedience. Ella must obey any order given to her, whether it's hopping on one foot for a day or chopping off her own head!

But strong-willed Ella does not tamely accept her fate. She goes on a quest, encountering ogres, giants, wicked stepsisters, fairy godmothers, and handsome princes, determined to break the curse—and live happily ever after.
  Sara1211 | Oct 18, 2016 |

Levine, Gail Carsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elliott, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,741,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible