Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery

Anne of Avonlea (1909)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (2)

Recently added byAmberfire287, Hyzie, Teri_Kanefield, cmlasky, NickiNicki, Fowlerd30, leselotte, private library, SMHuntsman
Legacy LibrariesAstrid Lindgren

English (79)  Vietnamese (1)  All languages (80)
Read my full review here.

Reading Anne is like going on an adventure; it’s like stepping into an alternate reality which resembles a fairytale. Montgomery describes nature almost as if it’s magic, and that makes the book seem even more special. Also, there were times when Montgomery would directly address the reader which rather made the book seem even more like a conversation between writer and reader.

It’s really great when you can see a genuine growth in a character from one book to another. The book itself even acknowledges the scrapes Anne got into in the previous book, and makes light of how silly she behaved sometimes. Small details like these make the book so good. The books seem to be rather episodic in that they cover different stages of Anne’s life. I actually quite like this because we get to see Anne grow up, and go on different journeys with her.

Also, Gilbert Blythe is a sweetheart. In this book him and Anne are so close. They meet all the time to talk, and the two definitely have a strong friendship (though Gilbert is obviously in love with Anne). I do wish there were more scenes with them interacting because Montgomery knows how to write very sweet scenes with them.

Overall, Anne of Avonlea is a wonderful book. I’m glad I’ve already got the next book in the series because now I can dive right back in to Anne’s world. ( )
  CaitlinAC | Aug 10, 2014 |
Reading this was like visiting an old friend!
The warmth and delight of discovering impetuous red-aired Anne as a child in
"Anne of Green Gables,"
{click for review}now developed charmingly through two years of her teen life,as her adventures are enlarged to include the rural Prince Edward Island community of Avonlea...
" an August afternoon with blue hazes scarfing the harvest slopes, little winds whispering elfishly in the poplars and a dancing slendour of red poppies outflaming against the dark coppice of young firs in a corner of the cherry orchard was fitter for dreams than dead languages."
Postponing her 17th birthday from the vagaries of March in favour of a spring picnic with her friends, the walk through vales and lanes spanning bridges and brooks describes picturesque settings for their talk that soon takes a 'heavenly' turn ~
"Minnie May asked me the other day if we would wear our best dresses every day in heaven," laughed Diana.
"And didn't you tell her we would?" asked Anne.
"Mercy, no! "And didn't you tell her we would?" asked Anne. "Mercy, no! I told her we wouldn't be thinkng of dresses at all there." "oh, I think we will ... a little," said Anne earnestly.
"There'll be plenty of time in all eternity for it without neglecting more important things. I believe we'll all wear beautiful dresses... or I suppose "There'll be plenty of time in all eternity for it without neglecting more important things. I believe we'll all wear beautiful dresses... or I suppose raiment would be a more suitable way of speaking. I shall want to wear pink for a few centuries at first... it would take me that long to get tired of it, I feel sure. I do love pink so and I can never wear it in this world."
Anne's role as local school teacher providing vivid depictions of student and parent personalities, scrapes of all kinds, and disciplinary reactions, had me rolling with laughter! the unexpected arrival of 6 year old twins into her life when their mother dies, introduces comedic routine on a daily basis.
"If I'm as good as good can be all day tomorrow will you let me be just as bad as I like all the next day?" asked Davy.
Little Davy's propensity for trouble is matched only by Anne's own. Her wit and creativity in responding to their predicaments is unmatched!
Beautifully descriptive of rural life of another century Anne books offer great reading satisfaction~
especially in light of having lived in Anne's land of Prince Edward Island and experiencing first hand L.M. Montgomery's accurate depictions of islanders' 'thought' regarding outsiders!

Lovely opportunities for numerous mouthwatering tea and garden parties, proponents of conflicting theologies within the same households, well developed charactersand plentiful humour, kept me enjoyably occupiedto the final moment.
The variety of love stories included would satisfy the most romantically inclined reader amongst us!

"Gilbert wisely said nothing more;but in his silence he read the history of the next four years in the light of Anne's remembered blush..."

Tissues at hand, definitely recommended!
Having the opportunity to review an audiobook version published by
Post Hypnotic Press and
narrated by Canadian, Colleen Winton,
added new enjoyment to the classic story.

Hearing the characters come to life in conversation and description is a pleasure.
I was part of the story as Anne leads us on her merry adventures.
Each character is individually personalized by
tone, inflection and expression of Ms Winton's narration.

I appreciate the quality of Post Hypnotic Press audio
of Anne's escapades and new directions.
Whilst Ms Winton's straightforward portrayals of
Rachel Lynde and Marilla Cuthbert are filled with character respective for their ages,
my choice for a series focused on Anne
would have tended to a more age accurate narrator's voice.
Anne's lilting vivacity hasn't been captured, for my ear.

I've included the sampler, kindly provided by the publisher, for your convenience in having a listen.
We all hear and relate individually to narrators of our personal story favourites,
so I'll leave the response open to you.
A seamless recording of uninterrupted listening entertainment,
I thank Post Hypnotic Press for the pleasurable opportunity of hearing and reviewing their audio of Anne of Avonlea . ( )
  FHC | Jul 3, 2014 |
Watching Anne grow up by degrees, I understand it better now than I would have if I'd finished reading this book the first time I started it, a good many years ago. I appreciate the beauty of it now, as well as the way Montgomery, as usual, takes you directly to Avonlea and Prince Edward Island, with all of its seasons and charms. Splendid imagery! ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
Uggh, Davy and Dora suck. Especially Davy. ( )
1 vote thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I loved every minute of this book. It is a great follow-up to the classic first book. ( )
1 vote ScribbleKey | Jan 10, 2014 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sieffert, ClareIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vesala, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flowers spring to blossom where she walks
The careful ways of duty,
Our hard, stiff lines of life with her
Are flowing curves of beauty.
- Whittier
to my former teacher,
Hattie Gordon Smith
in grateful rememberance
of her sympathy and encouragement
A tall, slim girl, "half-past sixteen," with serious gray eyes and hair which her friends called auburn, had sat down on the broad red sandstone doorstep of a Prince Edward Island farmhouse one ripe afternoon in August, firmly resolved to construe so many lines of Virgil.
"If you went to your own room at midnight, locked the door, pulled down the blind, and sneezed, Mrs. Lynde would ask you the next day how your cold was!"
Eliza was sewing patchwork, not because it was needed but simply as a protest against the frivolous lace Catherine was crocheting.
"It does people good to have to do things they don't like … in moderation." - - Mr. Harrison
"I was just trying to write out some of my thoughts, as Professor Hamilton advised me, but I couldn't get them to please me. They seem so stiff and foolish directly they're written down on white paper with black ink. Fancies are like shadows… you can't cage them, they're such wayward, dancing things…"
"… You must excuse me, Anne. I've got a habit of being outspoken and folks mustn't mind it."

"But they can't help minding it. And I don’t think it's any help that it's your habit. What would you think of a person who went about sticking pins and needles into people and saying 'Excuse me, you mustn't mind it … it's just a habit I've got.' You'd think he was crazy, wouldn't you?"
see Wikipage Anne of Avonlea for a list of ISBNs that have been verified as belonging to the unabridged version of the novel.

At sixteen Anne is grown up. . . almost. Her gray eyes shine like evening stars, but her red hair is still as peppery as her temper. In the years since she arrived at Green Gables as a freckle-faced orphan, she has earned the love of the people of Avonlea and a reputation for getting into scrapes. But when Anne begins her job as the new schoolteacher, the real test of her character begins. Along with teaching the three Rs, she is learning how complicated life can be when she meddles in someone else's romance, finds two new orphans at Green Gables, and wonders about the strange behavior of the very handsome Gilbert Blythe. As Anne enters womanhood, her adventures touch the heart and the funny bone.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:08 -0400)

In this sequel to "Anne of Green Gables," teenage Anne Shirley becomes a schoolteacher in a small village on Prince Edward Island.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

Two editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438944, 1909438952

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,470,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible