Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery

Anne of Avonlea (original 1909; edition 1909)

by L. M. Montgomery

Member:RobinGoodfellow
Title:Anne of Avonlea
Authors:L. M. Montgomery
Info:Boston, L. C. Page & Company, 1909.
Collections:
Tags:PaperbackRack1

Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (1909)

Recently added byprivate library, jessmpitt, KariLouise_, Akuliinaaa, PK-Family, TSS2017, RSZambia, cjbanning, amysan
Legacy LibrariesAstrid Lindgren

English (111)  Vietnamese (1)  All languages (112)
At sixteen, Anne is grown up...almost. Her gray eyes shine like evening stars, but her red hair is still as peppery as her temper. In the years since she arrived at Green Gables as a freckle-faced orphan, she has earned the love of the people of Avonlea and a reputation for getting into scrapes. But when Anne begins her job as the new schoolteacher, the real test of her character begins. Along with teaching the three Rs, she is learning how complicated life can be when she meddles in someone else's romance, finds two new orphans at Green Gables, and wonders about the strange behaviour of the very handsome Gilbert Blythe. As Anne enters womanhood, her adventures continue to be highly amusing. ( )
  AccyP | Nov 18, 2018 |
At first I was totally aware of how dated this book was in comparison to Anne of Greene Gables, but it didn't take long for the charm of the characters to take over and you are transported back to this world that you love without judgement. ( )
  deborahk | Oct 29, 2018 |
Anne is just as lovely as a teacher and caretaker of young children, as a young child herself. I was skeptical how would I relate to her as a young woman, as opposed to a child, but her amusing misadventures continue, and the people on the village are just as gossipy, nevertheless drawn with compassion and tenderness. These books are uplifting and beautifully written. Anne Shirley (oops, I almost forgot the ‘e’!) stands for imagination and seeing the beauty in all things. Just lovely. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Even though I enjoyed “Anne of Avonlea”, I didn't like it as much as the first book in the series. I think it was because Anne was older and no longer creating havoc at every opportunity. This book focused on her first two years of teaching so was far more serious. However, I did like young Davy, one of the twins Marilla had taken in. He brought humour to the book with his cheeky personality and insatiable curiosity. In fact, he reminded me of Anne at the same age.

My biggest complaint about “Anne of Avonlea” was the abrupt way each chapter came to an end. I found this annoying as it created a sense of discord. However, overall, still a sweet read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Sep 30, 2018 |
A teenager is a schoolteacher.

2/4 (Indifferent).

I can see how people like it. It has a particular sort of folksy charm. I'm just not that sort of person that can get invested in things like what color the hall is painted. ( )
  comfypants | Jul 12, 2018 |

Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vesala, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winton, ColleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flowers spring to blossom where she walks
The careful ways of duty,
Our hard, stiff lines of life with her
Are flowing curves of beauty.
- Whittier
to my former teacher,
Hattie Gordon Smith
in grateful rememberance
of her sympathy and encouragement
A tall, slim girl, "half-past sixteen," with serious gray eyes and hair which her friends called auburn, had sat down on the broad red sandstone doorstep of a Prince Edward Island farmhouse one ripe afternoon in August, firmly resolved to construe so many lines of Virgil.
"If you went to your own room at midnight, locked the door, pulled down the blind, and sneezed, Mrs. Lynde would ask you the next day how your cold was!"
Eliza was sewing patchwork, not because it was needed but simply as a protest against the frivolous lace Catherine was crocheting.
"It does people good to have to do things they don't like … in moderation." - - Mr. Harrison
"I was just trying to write out some of my thoughts, as Professor Hamilton advised me, but I couldn't get them to please me. They seem so stiff and foolish directly they're written down on white paper with black ink. Fancies are like shadows… you can't cage them, they're such wayward, dancing things…"
"… You must excuse me, Anne. I've got a habit of being outspoken and folks mustn't mind it."

"But they can't help minding it. And I don’t think it's any help that it's your habit. What would you think of a person who went about sticking pins and needles into people and saying 'Excuse me, you mustn't mind it … it's just a habit I've got.' You'd think he was crazy, wouldn't you?"
see Wikipage Anne of Avonlea for a list of ISBNs that have been verified as belonging to the unabridged version of the novel.

The second chapter in the life of Anne Shirley. This book follows Anne from the age of 16 to 18, during the two years that she teaches at Avonlea school. It includes many of the characters from Anne of Green Gables, as well as new ones like Mr. Harrison, Miss Lavendar Lewis, Paul Irving, and the twins Dora and Davy.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

At sixteen Anne is grown up. . . almost. Her gray eyes shine like evening stars, but her red hair is still as peppery as her temper. In the years since she arrived at Green Gables as a freckle-faced orphan, she has earned the love of the people of Avonlea and a reputation for getting into scrapes. But when Anne begins her job as the new schoolteacher, the real test of her character begins. Along with teaching the three Rs, she is learning how complicated life can be when she meddles in someone else's romance, finds two new orphans at Green Gables, and wonders about the strange behavior of the very handsome Gilbert Blythe. As Anne enters womanhood, her adventures touch the heart and the funny bone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:42 -0400)

In this sequel to "Anne of Green Gables," teenage Anne Shirley becomes a schoolteacher in a small village on Prince Edward Island.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100933, 1400108683

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438944, 1909438952

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,495,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible