Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs

Possible Side Effects (edition 2007)

by Augusten Burroughs

2,242None2,856 (3.8)39
Member:nevafeva
Title:Possible Side Effects
Authors:Augusten Burroughs
Info:Picador (2007), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***

Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs

2006 (8) 2007 (7) 2008 (7) advertising (7) alcoholism (13) American (5) audio (8) audiobook (9) Augusten Burroughs (10) autobiography (29) biography (29) childhood (6) comedy (8) essay (8) essays (68) family (9) fiction (14) funny (11) gay (29) humor (126) lgbt (7) memoir (223) non-fiction (105) own (6) read (27) read in 2008 (8) short stories (46) signed (8) to-read (29) unread (12)

I've read all of Burroughs' books, with the exception of his novel. He's an interesting person with a lot of neuroses, and plenty of fodder for good personal essays. He tends to repeatedly mine the same material of his past, which may not be noticeable to newer readers. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it does occasionally lead to moments of thinking "Haven't I read this somewhere before?" All in all, though, this is another fine collection of essays full of humor and pathos from a writer who is clearly comfortable in his unique style and voice. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 5, 2014 |
I don't think Burroughs is quite as funny or as good a writer as David Sedaris, but these stories are very funny and scratch the same itch. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |
I love Augusten Burroughs!! This is a good follow-up book to read after you've read Running With Scissors and [b:Magical Thinking|7815|The Year of Magical Thinking|Joan Didion|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165644384s/7815.jpg|1659905]. He's really funny, but he's also real. ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
Whenever I read anything by Augusten Burroughs I always find that I think to myself "I shouldn't be laughing so hard that tears come to my eyes but I am." Somehow he manages to make stories about life's tougher subjects easy to read and even funny. If you have a slightly dark sense of humor and are looking for something that is poignant as well as funny Augusten Burroughs will not disappoint you. ( )
  Bcushman | Jul 7, 2013 |
For the most part I laughed all the way through this book. A few chapters ,especially towards the end, were a bit slow. It's not that they were boring just as the book went on the chapters were not as funny as the beginning. Some time ago I started reading "Running with Scissors" but had never finished it now I want to check it out again along with Burroughs other books. Well done and 4 thumbs up. ( )
  justablondemoment | Jun 4, 2013 |
For Bob and Relda Robison
The first time I was star-struck, the object of my affection was a glamorous Eastern Airlines stewardess.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031242681X, Paperback)

National Bestseller

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Running with Scissors comes Augusten Burroughs's most provocative collection of true stories yet. From nicotine gum addiction to lesbian personal ads to incontinent dogs, Possible Side Effects mines Burroughs's life in a series of uproariously funny essays. These are stories that are uniquely Augusten, with all the over-the-top hilarity of Running with Scissors, the erudition of Dry, and the breadth of Magical Thinking. A collection that is universal in its appeal and unabashedly intimate, Possible Side Effects continues to explore that which is most personal, mirthful, disturbing, and cherished, with unmatched audacity. A cautionary tale in essay form. Be forewarned--hilarious, troubling, and shocking results might occur.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:32 -0400)

A collection of personal tales features the author's wry observations about such topics as eBay addiction, gay personal ads, and Santa Claus.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible