The Dinosaur Feather by Sissel-Jo Gazan

The Dinosaur Feather

by Sissel-Jo Gazan

3192134,767 (3.4)28

English (14)  Danish (4)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All (21)
Not very interesting characters, about which we learn too much. Tried to hang in because of the science but the detail and plodding pace made me give up. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jan 15, 2018 |
Horrible! One of the 10 best mysteries of 2013? What a joke! I should have read the reviews on Amazon before I checked this out of the library. Awful AWFUL unlikable characters throughout. far-fetched and ridiculous premise and NO mystery-solving other than the perps coming out and confessing every detail. The "detective" is supposed to be the wonder-kid of the department and he's about as discerning as a rock. Every character is full of shrieking hate and antagonism toward every other character and it was literally painful to finish it. I hate to quit before the end even when I hate a book because I'll always wonder if there was a payoff and I missed it. Oh. My. Gosh. This was truly awful. ( )
  satxreader | Mar 11, 2017 |
Here’s how BookBrowse described this book:
Winner of the Danish Crime Novel of the Decade, S.J. Gazan's debut novel The Dinosaur Feather is a classic of Scandinavian noir, from its richly imagined and deeply flawed characters to its scintillating exploration of one of the most fascinating aspects of contemporary dinosaur and avian research.

Biology postgraduate and hopeful PhD Anna Bella Nor is just two weeks away from defending her thesis on the origin of birds when her supervisor, the arrogant and widely despised Dr. Lars Helland, is found dead in his office chair at the University of Copenhagen. In the dead man's bloody lap is a copy of Anna's thesis.

When the autopsy suggests that Helland may have been murdered in a fiendishly ingenious way, the brilliant but tormented young Police Superindendent Søren Marhauge begins the daunting task of unraveling the knotted skeins of interpersonal and intellectual intrigue among the scientists at the university. Unfortunately for him, everyone involved - from embittered single mom Anna Bella Nor to Marhauge's own ex-wife, who is pregnant with her current husband's child - has something to hide, presenting the detective with the greatest professional and personal challenge of his entire career.

Correction to above: Marhauge was not married to Vibe, but they were together for a very long time.

I liked this book and didn’t like this book. The story was good – academic controversies and infighting, murders and a detective. There was also a fascinating discussion of what it takes to be true to science versus pet theories. However, there were three main characters, two murders, and so many secondary themes that I sometimes found myself bewildered. I felt like the author wanted to say so much about so many things but tried to compress them into one book.

The translation was uneven, too. Every once in a while there would be something to distract – usually related to dialogue or expressed emotions. Lots of screaming and what seem to be disproportionately strong emotions when taken in context to the scene.

Having said those negatives, my liking it is beginning to win out over my disliking it, and I’m sure I’ll remember it for quite a while. In addition, there is a sequel, [The Arc of the Swallow], which is now on my wishlist. ( )
  karenmarie | Oct 5, 2016 |
Very interesting premise, and a strong female protagonist. So, great start! Plus I’m a sucker for books from Denmark and surrounding nations, so of course I had to read this one.

It turned out to be an all right experience. Interesting enough to hold my attention for quite some time. But toward the end things got shaky. The big reveal at the end, the solving of the mystery and dealing justice to the criminal, felt common and too easy. Additionally, having the female protagonist subdue the killer, who far outstrips her in weight and strength, by capturing him with nothing more than her wits and two zip ties…yes, you read that right, zip ties…oversteps the bounds of credibility.

Overall, though, a quite enjoyable read if you are in the mood for a lark that isn’t too demanding and has nice character development.

3 stars

If you enjoy gripping crime stories with strong female protagonists, check out [b:Beloved: A Sensual Noir Thriller|31159964|Beloved A Sensual Noir Thriller|Laine Cunningham|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1469650329s/31159964.jpg|23316671]. ( )
  Laine-Cunningham | Oct 4, 2016 |
Entertaining, but it always felt a little far fetched while reading, which meant that I didn't really care that much about any of the characters... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
This debut novel makes disputes within science understandable to the non scientific mind, delving as it does into Darwinian research and natural selection. It provides a backcloth to the heated verbal battles that occur so frequently within the academic community and prompts memory of a phrase from Henry Kissinger that disputes within universities are so vicious because they are about so little. Not like the disputes that have raged around Kissinger’s career of mass murder.

Anna Bella droomde dat zij zelf de Archaeopteryx, de oervogel uit Beieren, vond.

Academic advisor Dr. Lars Helland is found dead in his office chair at the University of Copenhagen. In his bloody lap is a copy of one of his postgraduate student's thesis on the saurian origin of birds. The autopsy suggests the professor was killed in a very ingenious way so Police Superintendent Soren Marhauge is brought in to investigate. Everyone is a suspect, and as the investigation progresses, the detective is presented with the greatest professional and personal challenge of his career.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,543,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible